Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings banckert build  (Read 8281 times)

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
Billings banckert build
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:25:19 pm »

this is my build of the billings banckert. Should be fun and by far the hardest thing I've attempted to build in at least 10 years! I have no doubt that  :-))  here will be a certain amount of frustration, tears (and blood) shed in the process... %)  But isn't that why we do this madness?!

Enough of that.  Today my box appeared.. Like a proper kid I rushed to the wshop to see what our rather tasty UPS delivery lady had delivered...

So theres a billings kit and a new spektrum dx6i.
Now sitting down to start the build.

Rummaging  through the various packets etc I discovered that there is no prop shaft or prop.. >>:-(  Back on the phone to Cornwall model boats and after a chat and a lot of patience from the guys (and girls!) there I managed to order what I needed and somehow quite a few other bits :embarrassed:

I'll try and keep it light and fun as I built this one and let's see how it turns out!  O0 :-))

So first job is to remove the abs hull from its forming sheet and then go for making a build cradle.

Nanny G and the kids popped in to find out what madness daddy is up to on his couple of days off....
Now where did I put that?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings banckert build
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »

I am looking forward to this build as I have great nostalgia for this ship.  I got one 85% complete when my kids were quite young.  However at that age they kept playing with it and eventually cumulative damage prevented me finishing it.  I would like to see how well it goes had I started one now.  Nice looking tug.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »

Thanks bob! Having spent the evening studying the plans it looks like a fascinating build! :}  Unfortunately I have now opened the box.....

Amusingly for SWMBO I have a ocd tendency to not start something else until this one is finished so the updates should be quite regular! (Plus the pleas for help! :embarrassed: )

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:09:16 am »

Looking forward to this build.   Don't forget, we love pictures and questions.   :}

I see your mantle piece already looks like a Liner under steam.     {-) {-)

All the best

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:05:33 pm »

Looking forward to this build  :-)

That was my first modelboat got it for X-mas 1981 (I think) and finished it 1983 and I still have it but it's screaming for some TLC.

I used a type 550 12V on a 6V 3A sealed Lead Battery and a mechanical speed board it worked well and could run for a long time before a recharge, slow speed was a nightmare due to the speedboard.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:34 pm »

I'm looking forward to this build too!  Good luck  :-))

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

Amazingly I haven't deleted this from word so here it is!

Hi guys. Thank you for all the interest. I'll have to try and do the build justice!

I've just orders a ruck load of stuff from CMB so while I wait for that to arrive I've done a few little bits and bobs:

I've cut and created the first bulkheads and they are roughly in place.

The rear bulkhead has the hole for the prop pre drilled but as I don't have a prop or shaft yet I can't solidify it yet. M4 shaft with 40mm 4blade brass prop...

The next thing was to build the cradle:

Started with a few bits of off cuts from a seat I made a while ago....(pays never to throw out stuff or in my case not get round to it!)

Cut all to length and glued together..

Next is to work out the shapes for the cradle not one of my favoured tasks but quite satisfying when it comes together. A blast round all the edges with the router and a half moon bit (1/8' for those that are interested!) looks something like this:

Screwed all together and foam added makes it look like this!

Time for a lick of varnish and things should look good!

Tonight I'm going to have a nosey at the bow thruster that I've brought and plan/fit it tonight!

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »

Good evening all! Managed to have nearly half a day on the build today plus a couple of evenings this week so have got lots and lots done!  :D

First of all I've begun the installation of the bow thruster although a lack of epoxy has meant that I can't finish it yet! >>:-(

So I've moved onto the quarter deck. The sharp of eye will spot that I've had to 're set' a couple of pieces but hey ho that's all part of the learning process!  :embarrassed:

So I had to start by altering the base as the abs moulding was a bit smaller that the timber piece. I then chamfered the edges for a nice snug fit.

Once that was sorted I glued on the formers and set that to one side. Next was the quarter deck cabins. A little on the fiddly side but not too bad, the pieces although laser cut don't seem to quite marry up so a little trimming with the scalpel at re setting things started to look more like it.

Next was to attach the cabin to the deck and add the winch and towing bollards.

Finally check that I've achieved a snug fit in the deck!

So I set that to one side (paint not arrived yet! >>:-( [size=78%]) and moved on to the main cabin and bridge/funnel and mast section. Again not all the pieces seem to match but a bit more trimming and it's all good! Currently sitting in the clamps as the glue sets! [/size]

And lastly I put together all 5 ladders which seriously tested my steady fingers! :o [/size][size=78%] Thank goodness for impact adhesive! [/size]

One thing that is bothering me a little is this: it seems that when both sections of the hull are fixed there is very little access to the interior. Being of short and stumpy fingered this concerns me!  %) [/size][size=78%]Can anyone come up with an easy solution to this dilemma? The hull sections join behind a rubber strip the has to be glued in place.[/size]

Thanks for looking!

Pete

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:13 pm »

Hi Pete, you are sure doing a great job of your build . I think you will have a nice model when finished. However the other members tell me that you must sand off the Laser burn marks where it has cut the wood or it will not allow the glue to stick it together, so I  thought I should mention it to help you. Keep up the good work you are doing a very good build & I for one am enjoying it. Mick B.
Mick B.

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

Hi mick! The only response to this is oh 😡😤😭😭 >>:-(

I may have a major issue as I've nearly finished all the wood sections. Do I need to break all the joints and start again? <:(

Help!

P

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 09:26:58 pm »

To be honest I don't know how good your joints are. However I am sure there  are Forum members that can answer that question. There is probably a fix to get around it, I am sure you are not the first to do it. I would wait a couple of days & see how many on here offer you some advice. I am sure Malcolm can answer the question, lets wait & see. Mick B.
Mick B.

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:00 pm »

The thought oh having to redo those infernal ladders fills me with total depression <:( <:(

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »

Hi guys :-)),

Having put a diamond drill bit in my hand on Monday <:( <:( I have had the week at home so I have mooched on with the build :-))...quite a lot has been done so ill try and keep it short!

First is the delivery of my epoxy has meant that I can finish doing the hull %%... epoxy hates me I think as every time I use it I spend twice as much time tidying up as I do applying it >>:-( >>:-(!
Anyway the bow thruster is installed cutting the holes for it was a little bit of guess work but I'm reasonably pleased with the results. Attaching the kort and the rudder was an absolute faff and intensely frustrating. Only had to re-do it twice <*< but finally looks right!

Next came the superstructure.. at this point I would like to say that the kit really started to frustrate me because although all the parts are laser cut they don’t fit together neatly at all. >>:-( >>:-( >:-o >:-o
Persistence pays however and here are the results!

the sharp eye will notice the over run on the spray preventer and the holes behind. Ive filled them later on! %)

here is the rear cabin for the top superstructure and the towing point.

here the rear cabin had a few more pieces of detail added. The copper wire over the port holes was quite amusing as my fingers are far to fat to play without tweezers and the resulting low flying pieces.....! {-) {-)

I’m going to apologise for the lack of pics up to here but a little engrossed!  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

So here the bridge has been glazed and the ships wheel in place. Interior has been white washed and the filler added to some of the nasties! The rear top cabin added and the mast/funnel built. Now its all about the detail and railings... and time to fit those chuffing ladders!

Thanks for looking

pete.

Ps any ideas on the deck issue mentioned in the last update? :o

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:20 pm »

Hi Pete,

What I did was to secure the deck to the hull in a few place with superglue and then likewise with the rubber bumper. The intention being that with superglue on plastic the bond can be broken if needed and then I have full access. I haven't tried it to see if the theory works in practice...

Good luck :)
Alister

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 10:20:18 am »

If you have trouble getting the epoxy to stay put just add some common talcum powder until its a more putty like consistency, much easier to work with.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:27 am »

Also I wouldn't stress too much about the superglue on the lasercut edges, it looks like its only the centre that shows any charring, the outer layers look good enough to give you a good bond, it's the edges where you only see black and nothing else you have problems with and that depends on the species and quality of the ply.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »

Alister that sounds like a plan but I need to finish hull work and do some paint then ballast so there is a bit of time to plan! I'm contemplating playing with a foam and nut idea but I'll keep updating to how that goes! (Waterproof foam that I use for sealing leaks in Horsebox windows! O0 )

Phil, that talc idea sounds great I'll have to try it tommorrow! Both the dog and I am getting a bit bored of sticking ourselves to the floor :embarrassed:

Loads to update.... Just need to get to a computer rather than the iPad!

Pete

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:03 am »

Hi chaps!
  Sorry for the delay in this update... irritating things like work have got in the way >>:-(

Loads has happened since the last update so I'll try to get everything in the right orde {:-{r

I've finished the bulk of the work on the super structure and have made the railings...(lots of fiddling and soldering!)
next was to put the cut-outs back over the glazing ready for painting. Three coats of primer have been added.

Next job is to sort out the hull. When the two sections were placed together I discovered that there was about 1' difference in widths.....ooops! :embarrassed: So I removed the main bulkhead and shaved it down until both sections fitted correctly. Lesson 101! remember to check everything at least twice! :o O0

Once that was sorted I made a 'squeeze' battery box that will hold the battery firmly without bands or clips.

Next came the running gear and install of the rudders. The parts for the steering assembly in the kit were frankly rubbish. So out with the brass plate and some ball joints. Lots of messing around and the steering now works! :-))

So into the bath to check operation (I wanted to play!)  {-) {-)

mmmmm a bit of ballast required!

During a conversation with John44 (my local build guru!!) we discovered that there should be bilge stabilisers on both sides so those were added.

Now just a bit of cleaning up of the epoxy and another coat of primer. Then its on to top coat paint and more detailing!

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:30:15 am »

My goodness what a speedy build, takes me that long to think about it and then half way through wish I had read the instructions. She looks to be a lovely model well done.
Regards

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32:05 pm »

My goodness what a speedy build, takes me that long to think about it and then half way through wish I had read the instructions. She looks to be a lovely model well done.
Regards

Haha! Thanks Chris! I love to get stuck in and find when I plan a half day it normally turns into a full one!  O0

Have managed to get the first layer of top paint on this eve so should be some exciting pics to come :-))

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.