Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sea going tugs  (Read 2903 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
sea going tugs
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:06 am »

have ordered this set of videos...unsung heroes never really recognised for what they did....mayday..tugs of war...tony

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: sea going tugs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:24 am »

Hi Slug, you will find it an eye opener, my Dad was engineer in rescue tugs during the last war, I'll tell you matey they were ALL the unsung heroes,proper tugmen.another film about them is called The Key if you can get it.    there is some brilliant sea going shots of the Assurance class at work.  Geo

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:28 am »

tugmad, thank you for that....I think it is available from amazon....did your father come through the war...hope so regards   tony

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »

Hi Slug. yes he did thanks, he stayed with tugs until he eventually retired and the he lasted until he was 84, not a bad innings.

The picture below is of one of the tugs that he was on just after the war, she was the Ex Empire Susan  re named Rumania, the picture was take in 1947 and she is towing the ex Inter state liner Camberra from Sydney harbour to Genoa it took four and a half months ,and that is my old dad on the foredeck

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:50:21 pm »

love the photo...he did well   regards  tony

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:59:42 pm »

My favourite sea going tug.
RMAS Typhoon.
The first vessel to sail for the Faulkland Isles but the last to get there!!!
She also did the longest RMAS Sea Tow, towing RMAS St Margaret from Funchal, Madeira back to Devonport!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:33 am »

Bob...didn't you sail a Engineer on RMAS Typhoon?.............. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:47:53 am »

I remember the rescue of the flying enterprise...I was 10...we all used to listen with bated breath...so near yet so far..she could have got to a nearer port...still not sure what she was carrying.....tony

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:12:52 pm »

Yes Derek, junior Engineer cutting my real teeth at sea.
Here is a write up of her in the Faulklands.

Officially a GOG.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:52 am »

I remember the rescue of the flying enterprise...I was 10...we all used to listen with bated breath...so near yet so far..she could have got to a nearer port...still not sure what she was carrying.....tony
The generally accepted theory on the Flying Enterprise is that she was carrying a cargo of Zirconium.  This was needed to build USS Nautilas, America's first Atomic submarine.  The cargo was reputedly so valuable that Captain Carlsen tried to avoid claims to salvage by remaining with the ship.
Salvage attempts were made on the wreck but all the salvage companies were required to sign confidentiality agreements about anything to do with the cargo.  This sparked more theories about the cargo that included she was carrying huge amounts of gold, artworks or advance atomic research materials.
The plain and simple answer could be that Carlsen didn't want to lose the ship.  He obviously was very attached to her because after his death in 1988 he was buried at sea near to the wreck site.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:51 pm »

Can black cat you bob, the PAS Accord, towed the dog class Spaniel from Singapore to UK, mind you it was via Mombasa. She had a major fire in the Indian Ocean and had to have major repairs there before onward completion. Plus she also had to deal with Typhoon, came through okay but a RFA tug also towing not far away sustained damage and had to put into Madagascar, but that was Port Auxiliary Service days before the RMAS and the officers were Home Trade ticketed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.