Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parkol Marine  (Read 2780 times)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Parkol Marine
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:11:00 am »

I found this might be of interest .If you follow the link new builds http://www.parkol.co.uk/ there is a week by week thread of some builds all very interesting.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

slug

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Parkol Marine
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:30:18 am »

very interesting...watched the video on their website...love the stills at the beginning on their site...brings back lots of memories.....regards  tony

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:00:11 pm »

Hi All,
 The wife and I discovered Whitby as a holiday location in 2005, renting what an ex colleague of mine described as " an apartment in the new yuppy bit". Actually built on one of the old Whitby building slipways of yore. It is virtually next door to Parkols yard and we get a good view of the builds going on from the lounge window, and better still views of their floating dock. They have rearranged the yard a bit in the last year or so due, I believe , to a bit of subsidance to the river bank beside their yard.
When they were building a new trawler a couple of years ago, the stern actually just overhung their wall and we used to walk under it every evening going out to get our meal. Now they assemble new boats parallel to the road beside their yard rather than at 90 degrees to it.

The most fascinating aspect of the whole process is the launch of a new trawler which is actually done using an absolutely huge mobile crane. Before this happens, all around Whitby, the roadside laybys all have huge artic trailers parked up in them. These have been used to bring in the components of the crane to the yard. These are assembled using another very large mobile crane over about 5 days.  We have been to one of the launchings as Parkol are most welcoming and just leave the gate to the yard open when it happens and the public just walk in.  Have a look at the web site as there are some pictures of a launch , may be in the Our Lass 2 section?
Tucked around the corner of the yard in the marina , there has been an old American style harbour tug, quietly doing nothing for several years. Don't know if it is anything to do with Parkol, but when we were there 4 weeks ago, someone appeared to be taking some interest in it, coming and going but no obvious refurb taking place.Anyone know the history of this?

If you google "Parkol Marine video", there are 4 or 5 videos on youtube, each about 15mins long.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:08 pm »

The tug belonged to one of the founders of parkol - he died a few years ago. up for sale as far as i know.

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:11 pm »

I asked about the tug, it seems a guy bought it with the intention of doing it up, however he had a new one built instead (that big thing just launched) and the old one has been sold to a guy in another country

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:44 am »

That explains what was "parked" in front of the floating dock when we were there. It had the same typical bridge shape but appeared to be in polished metal. Obviously built but unpainted while we were there.
In the main yard, they were fitting the stern onto a mid section of what looked like a new trawler. All very fascinating to a landlubber like me. I say that as Northampton is as far from the sea in any direction as it gets, so I am told!

Thanks for the info

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:22:28 am »

its a bit of a strange one. the build halted for months and months as the guy apparently ran out of money etc etc...

put it this way, im staggered thats its been complete.

Not sure what the guy does who owns it but looks like some sort of tax affair - another story.

I await to see whats actually done with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.