Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub day in Barrow  (Read 4056 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Sub day in Barrow
« on: September 03, 2007, 03:57:51 pm »

Hi,

There was a great turnout for the FMBC sub day - thanks to those who journeyed far and wide.

The weather was kind, the winds fair!

lots of pics:

Ian

You may notice the first two pics are not of a sub  ;D they are Bob's stirling engine propelled boat
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sub day in Barrow
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:00:40 pm »

more

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

yet more

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:02:45 pm »

last one

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:49:22 pm »

What a superb collection of Subs.  Thanks for the pictures, I would have certainly liked to have been there but I was on the other side of the Atlantic at the time.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:09:25 pm »

better luck next time Bunker.

Ian

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:19:59 pm »

Thanks for the pics, unfortunately I was working ( again ) otherwise would have been there, its great when people take the time to show the events, doesn't make us feel left out so to speak. Cheers  O0 O0

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:48:09 pm »

It was a brilliant and most enjoyable day and on behalf of the long-travelled contingent I would very much like to thank the members of Furness MBC  and the AMS for looking after us so well. That is a wonderful lake and immaculate Clubhouse you have there. The variety of subs and different interpretations of wtc design was fascinating. I was especially taken with the 'K4' never having seen a model of it before. Now if someone could make a model running on steam like the original that would be an interesting project! Next time we come down I'll make sure that we have even more subs with us and that the reliability factor is improved!

Andrew 

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:01:29 am »

Some very smart looking subs there, looked like a good turn out.. nice pics too.
Andrew, the only guy I know who made a steam driven sub..and it worked.. was a chap called Nick Burge. A great innovator and model engineer, he built 'Sercouf' (of which I know little) and it was powered by a steam turbine. The boat even sported a gun which actually fired .22 cal rounds. Nick was famed for producing the original 'modular' style dive unit we know today but sadly he is  no longer with us as he died a few years ago.
Chris

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »

Thanks for that info Chris. Here are some more pics taken on Sunday including the K4. As you can see there were som e'targets' too!

Andrew

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

Ajg 141 Do you have any more shots of that Russian Kilo , This one looks very nice ,
I have a kit of one to build when I eventually get round to it
Cheers Sub and thanks 4 the pics.

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:29:02 pm »

The Kilo is a Small World Models kit by Dave Manley and has a 'Propel' ballast tank. To my mind this is a particularly nice model and is not difficult to build. The biggest challenge is, as usual, in the ballasting and also in the adjustment of the cams that operate the gas release. It's not difficult to adjust the cams but they seem to have a mind of their own and need occasional re-alignment. I also found that the rod that the cams are mounted on flexed somewhat and I have fitted a front support/bearing between the gas release cam and valve to prevent the flexing. This has eliminated any sticking and permits more delicate release of gas. I am now also using butane free photographers airduster propellant rather than the normal 'Propel' or standard airbrush propellant as it seems to be more environmentally friendly. One thing to beware of with the gas wtc system is the number of surfaces you can make with the small amount of gas held on board. The suggestion is that you can get 10 -12 but I normally refill the tank after 6 just to be on the safe side! The 'O' rings can be a little slippery too, allowing the various parts of the wtc to open up slightly. I have found taping over the joints between the various wtc sections with insulating tape before sailing prevents problems.
The site link is: http://home.san.rr.com/swm/ 
Dave is currently moving his shop and kit production will cease for about 3 months until the move is complete.
Here are a couple of pics showing the finished Kilo and a view of the gas and cam system.

Andrew

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:49:18 pm »

Many thanks for the pics, its a Grt model, i am not a fan of the gas system myself, as you say you are limited with the amount of " blows" you get and the "gas " is a tad expensive. I intend to use a RCAB system in mine when I eventually get around to building it, too many projects not enough time ehh, The Kilo is an unusual subject and has made a Grt looking model, Well done, what scale is she ?
Regards Sub

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:52:44 pm »

Woops just saw the link , answered my own question..its 1/96 isn't it, cheers Sub

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »

Yes 1/96th - and easy to transport unlike my Los Angeles! I completely agree with you about the gas/RCABS debate and once the Engel Typhoon, Matt Thor/D&E Permit and R&R Resolution are complete then I'll have a look at RCABS too. The question is - will I last that long at the rate I build them these days? Thank goodness for Sheerline - beautiful models. easy builds and always reliable! Except when I try and ram rowing boats or misalign propshafts that is.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.