Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MGB658 Fairmile D @ 1/72  (Read 44986 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MGB658 Fairmile D @ 1/72
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »

Hi Kevin,
I dont think the lack of feedback is anything to do with the two reasons you have stated. I and I am sure a lot of others,have been amazed at what you have been achieving in this thread,and I for one really dont think I can comment on each of your sections of build.The way you are presenting the thread is brilliant,and you can be sure a whole lot of people are learning from it,so dont be disheartened please!
I have just checked at the top of this page, that your superb build has been seen by almost 2,000 members,and you have added a lot more to your build since then.
Rest assured my friend, you have a lot of admirers out there. As a bodger with no skills myself, I can only admire in amazement the 1st class work you are putting into this,and I was only joking when I said will it float!
Sincerely
Mick F

MTB Hulls

• Full Mayhemer
  • MTB Hulls for Shipshape Models
    • MTB Hulls picture gallery
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »

I am in awe of your detailing and fine work, I am proud and feel honoured beyond all reason that one of my little hulls is receiving this level of attention from an undoubted master of his hobby. Please keep it coming as I love every minute  :-)) :-)) :-)) 
Regards,
Christian.
http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:45 pm »

It happens on most forums and I have observed it to be a case of:

Most of the work here is of such a quality that there is little to critique constructively on and so to do so might be seen as churlish/picky, while forty versions of 'That is great!', or 'Brilliant!' does nothing but make the builder feel warm and fuzzy.

Or, the people who make suggestions have beaten several other members who also thought of that idea and so did not feel it worth repeating.

In clubs and on Forums, the number of active members are outweighed by those who are perfectly happy (and within their rights) to recieve the club newsletter or, in the case of forums, just browse.

I once belonged to a wargames forum that included the ability to award 'Kudos' points in your message, but after a couple of years, you would get literally dozens of responses to people's posts showing work in progress or finished work with just 'Plus 1' or 'Kudos points to you sir' etc.

It was discontinued in a second regeneration of the forum as it was just crap. few concise responses were better than loads of lazy titbits.

Some people do not like to critique another's work for fear of being seen as disparaging. I try and respond positivly and sincerely to a person's progress every so often as saying 'that's great to say you filing a burr off is pointless, but looking at say four day's work including the building of a frame and detailing the interior of a cabin can also generate a question or thought about an idea to help that generates further discussion.

Not that it my place to tell people how to correspond in a thread!! Enjoy your project Longshanks, as I am sure there are loads of people looking and learning and being enthused seeing what you are doing.
Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:27 pm »

Hi Kevin,
I don't think the lack of feedback is anything to do with the two reasons you have stated. I and I am sure a lot of others,have been amazed at what you have been achieving in this thread,and I for one really don't think I can comment on each of your sections of build.The way you are presenting the thread is brilliant,and you can be sure a whole lot of people are learning from it,so don't be disheartened please!
I have just checked at the top of this page, that your superb build has been seen by almost 2,000 members,and you have added a lot more to your build since then.
Rest assured my friend, you have a lot of admirers out there. As a bodger with no skills myself, I can only admire in amazement the 1st class work you are putting into this, and I was only joking when I said will it float!
Sincerely
Mick F

As Mick says a lot are watching and Learning, for instance how many are aware of scribing, good illustration, or how to detail from plans.
There are a lot out there who simply cannot read a plan, for some it comes easy, Practical illustrative examples explain it far simply.
As for static models the techniques are basically the same. I have static models built from the box, no detailing, don't know how.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 10:08:23 am »

Thank you Gentlemen for your words of wisdom.

Mick, whatever level we are at we all try to improve. What you do for the RNLI with your model boats is truly awesome.

Christian, the sign on my shed says I'm an apprentice  ok2
Your words mean a great deal as I've followed your work for years and you are the inspiration behind my work.

Steve, the clamps / hair clips
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-DOUBLE-PRONG-ALLIGATOR-HAIR-CLIPS-4-5cm-UK-SELLER-/261695887674?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Hair_Care_Brushes_Combs_PP&hash=item3cee4a593a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLIGATOR-HAIR-TEETH-CLIPS-45MM-FOR-BOWS-BARRETTE-SILVER-METAL-CROCODILE/390665950873?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D1c1f783a0db74412a5acc98b9bf8ac55%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D390665950873

Cheers longshanks

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:44 am »

Search light platform completed, a total of 38 pieces have gone into this! Out of interest does anyone know how pieces there are in the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire?

Completed the framing

ballastanksian,I used a combination of your suggestions. Preformed the curved panel by taping it around a slightly smaller diameter tube an inserted it into boiled water for a couple of minutes. Smaller tube 'cos it always springs back slightly. I then laminated two pieces in situ.

Happy Days!

As far as I can see there is no door on the rear of the structure

Thanks for stopping by

longshanks

MTB Hulls

• Full Mayhemer
  • MTB Hulls for Shipshape Models
    • MTB Hulls picture gallery
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:09 am »

looks perfect, this picture shows a little peep inside;

http://cfv.org.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=485&mode=view

Supermarine Spitfire MkIa: L127 x W156 - Pieces 36
Regards,
Christian.
http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:14 pm »

Looking at the image, there seems to be hinge detail near the top of the 'door frame' but no door unless it opens inwards? But then I do not see a handle either. Interesting. There is a bit of detail in the top right corner though.

I am glad the idea worked. I hate curving plastic so am always impressed when seeing other people's work that looks tidy.
Pond weed is your enemy

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 10:08:56 pm »

I think there is a door, it's all the way inside and behind rhe seated operatur.

Thanks for the link, ordered some.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:45 pm »

Christian, thanks for that buddy, lots of interesting detail visible in the area.

ballastanksian, think the detail top right is attached to frame on outside. The plans show a watertight hatch in the deck which I suspect the guy lower left is going down. Given the hatch I think it unlikely there would be a door.

Always handy to have a second interpretation of a pic,

longshanks

PS Thanks Steve, see above

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2015, 11:40:25 pm »

For what it is worth seems to me the two guys "inside" are not going anywhere but are either repairing or gauging the extent of the battle damage on the inside. The photo is captioned "damage".
It is also possible that the "door" is gone, battle damage, as it looks like the remains of a door stile and hinge at the top, opening inwards but hey I am no sailor just looking at the pic.
Enlarging the photo may clarify more details.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:25 am »

Looking at the image, ther seems to be hinge detail near the top of the 'door frame' but no door unless it opens inwards? But then I do not see a handle either. Interesting. There is a bit of detail in the top right corner though.

I am glad the idea worked. I hate curving plastic so am always impressed when seeing other people's work that looks tidy.
At the risk of being contary the door is visible but not obvious.  It's almost edge on to the camera, swung past the wall line.  You can see the door knob just visible against the standing sailor in the background, just below his belt line.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:53 am »

At the risk of being contary the door is visible but not obvious.  It's almost edge on to the camera, swung past the wall line.  You can see the door knob just visible against the standing sailor in the background, just below his belt line.

That's exactly how it looks to me.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 12:07:33 pm »

Here's a blow up.  The door is pretty clear now also visible inside the cabin is a brass Pyrene type fire extinguisher.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

Nice one guys !

You've convinced me there is a door with the added bonus of identifying the fire extinguisher.

Thanks longshanks

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »

I've been working on the bridge sponsons, these are the mounting points for twin Vickers K guns. Not been looking forward to this as it has to be cut accurately or it was going to be a mess

Four formers to be made for each side . . . cunning plan.
Cut one to correct size/shape and super glued three roughly cut to it

Then clamped with the master edge level with the face of my new 'thingy bob' aquired at Telford from Squires

Then sanded to the face of thingy

Rotate until all edges done and you have four pieces the same size and square. Slide a blade between and the glue cracks off.

Full pic of thingy. Don't know how I managed without one, brilliant for holding small pieces whilst working on them i.e. filing edges of photo etch

Aplogises to those who already are aware of this method but it worked so well I had to share it.

More to follow

longshanks

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 10:01:21 am »

Part two of the sponsons
 Frame work to hold everything rigid and square

Attaching front and side

First web, for strength I left it whole to fit/glue

Once set, I removed the centre having partialy cut through before fixing

First one finished and glued in situ

Sides and front left long to scribe to deck

Thanks for stopping by

longshanks

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:19 am »

Hi Longshanks,
Some very nice styrene work there, I know how fiddly this can be so can appreciate what it takes to achieve just a small part, some of the finest boats I've seen have been static models, and I can see even at this stage yours is going to be a very interesting model. :-))
Joe

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your kind comments  :-))
As you say fiddling with some of the small plastic bits can be a pain. I was recently put onto 'Tamiya Thin' having used Plasweld for years, far superior to work with and I thoroughly  recommend it.

Just a small update tonight, couldn't resist setting up the Vickers K guns. Started with Coastal Craft guns which I must say are very good.
P1070620Copy_zps42a0baef.jpg

Although they come with mounting brackets which are fine I decided to make my own which I feel are more prototypical

Cheers longshanks

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2015, 09:31:05 am »

Lovely weapons! They do make a model I think do K guns, your work and SAS jeeps are cases in point.
Pond weed is your enemy

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »

Hadn't thought of that, these guns would be great for anyone modelling the LRDG in 1/72

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 06:45:18 pm »

An update on D,
Doesn't seem a lot but there is a fair bit of work there

Chart table and furniture added

and yes I managed to scratch the side table but they are going to be in and out a few times yet

Stbd. sponson made and secured but yet to be cleaned up. Fair bit of work yet in this area, there is a small chart area/box set in/through the bulkhead in front of the sponson.

Thanks for looking

longshanks

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 09:54:51 pm »

Splendid progress, those sponsons are lovely.
Pond weed is your enemy

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »

Thanks ballastanksian

Managed to get the bridge chart table / box sorted

Started by cutting out side wall after adding additional horizontal and vertical stiffeners

Anyone got any charts of Bastia / Corsica  %)

longshanks

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2015, 05:26:31 pm »

There must be something online where you can go and obtain a map. Otherwise print out a google map of the area and manipulate it perhaps?
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.