Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tug semi kit??  (Read 2409 times)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
New tug semi kit??
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »

Was searching the net for other info and stumbled across this one on German eBay. As I understand it it's cnc cut wooden and plastic pieces but no planks for the hull. Anyone heard of this one? It's a great looking tug!
Hama
http://m.ebay.de/itm/191389412979?nav=POPITM

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New tug semi kit??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »

Crumbs........ it looks a bit top heavy.    %)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:59:16 am »

Hello Hama,

Since this thread is a bit stale I am not sure if you are still pondering over this "semi kit".

The model may look a bit top heavy indeed but it is built to scale, and that's what the original looks like too.

It is the German emergency tug NORDIC to whom even an article is dedicated in the English Wikipedia.
(of course, there's also an article about NORDIC in the German Wikipedia)

This site hosts some pretty shots of NORDIC.

The semi kit is indeed mainly a set of CNC cut frames, keel, stem and stern contours, and stringers as well as decks and some sheets for shell plating (most cut from plywood),
while the more curved areas of the hull's shell would still need to be covered by usual stripe planks, which as I understood, need to be supplied externally by the model builder.
However, I find the deal offered by the kit's ebay seller quite realistic and frank becaue, if you scroll through the image bar in the ebay article you will also find a small thumbnail which depicts exactly all the sheets of CNC cut parts that are contained in the kit.
So you will know what you get in advance, and don't have to buy the pig in a poke (or "Man muss nicht die Katze im Sack kaufen", as we say in German).
Again, to put it bluntly, this isn't a complete model kit with all parts required to build a fully detailed model, but only a basic set for hull, deck and some superstructure construction!

I have to mention that I have no affiliation to the kit's seller whatsoever, and I don't intend to promote or tout his kit here.

In our German model boaters' forum appeared this build thread of a forum member who describes therein his build of NORDIC based on this very parts kit.

Regards,
Ralph

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:42:37 pm »

Great link Ralph,
Thank you.

:-))

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:24 pm »

Thanks Ralph!
I'm not sure If I will build this one but I thought it was a very interesting idea and perhaps something we will see more of in the future. Basic kit of laser cut parts, the rest is up to you. She would fit perfectly together with BB's Smit Rottedam/London and Fairmount Alpine!
All the best!
Hama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.