Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Props for Portgarth  (Read 4481 times)

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
Props for Portgarth
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »

Hi all, I'm coming back to the hobby (redundancy and medical issues saw me off for a while) and whilst my warships are on the shelf I'm going to be starting a MMM Portgarth build, for towing.

Now then, I wonder what you guys who may have built one would recommend for the props? The korts are MMM's steerable 70's.

I also wonder, as I fancy a working winch, what your advice would be here?

Any advice greatly appreciated.  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Re: Props for Portgarth
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:30:35 pm »

...Hi Adam...

I would recommend Prop Shop Kort Nozzle Props...They can be made to fit the Kort Nozzle...
May Island Kort Props from Scoonies are good as well...

I have recently completed a small tug called FREEDOM using an MMB  Asd  Tug hull...

For a working winch...An old electric Screwdriver can be easily adapted or a small motor from MFA with 100/1 reduction gearing...Part Number is 918D100112/1...Costs about a tenner from Maplins...make up a brass or aluminium drom and off you go...

I have a working winch in my boat using the MFA motor...

...Best Regards...Norry...

P.S. Did you buy the PORTGARTH hull on E Bay this week ?...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »

Thanks Norry, certainly would prefer a motor to an electric drill if I can manage it. It's only to shorten the tow anyway.
 Propshop! That's the one  :o  I couldn't think of the name...although I could have googled it!

I did bid on that very item but I didn't want to go to high, so I didn't win it. But there's one on the way soon so that I can crack on with a build. It looked ok to me though, so hopefully somebody has got themselves a decent build.
Cheers,

-Adam-

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »

Hi folks,

So whilst I'm waiting on my kit to arrive, I'm obviously doing a bit of research etc.

Is there anyone here has any tips for the Portgarth build? I've built plenty of models but not a MMM kit.  :-))  Can't wait to get stuck in! Oh! And I may have 'secured' a tow for myself.
Cheers,

-Adam-

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:17 pm »

...Hi Adam...

If you are using the MMM Template kit then get them photocopied and use the copies as paper templates first to see if it all fits together properly...Also if you make a mistake you will always have the original templates to go back to...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:04:25 pm »

Thanks Norry, top tip number 1  8)

I wonder what she'll compare like against my now gone Eldergarth.
Cheers,

-Adam-

newdabbler

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »

Hi Adamd, I do hope that you will do a detailed account of the build with photographs. I started mine a few years ago but got a bit stuck as I have never built a boat before. Hopefully you pictures (no pressure) will set me off on the building journey once again.

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:05:39 pm »

Hi Adamd, I do hope that you will do a detailed account of the build with photographs. I started mine a few years ago but got a bit stuck as I have never built a boat before. Hopefully you pictures (no pressure) will set me off on the building journey once again.

Hi there,

I will try and put up as many photos as possible for you in a proper thread for the build. There are many great builders on here who will be more than happy to advise you on certain stages of a tug build.

I'll be starting the build first week in January probably. I've got it all ready to go apart from electronics.

I'll also be doing a thread on my newly acquired 1/32 scale Type 45 destroyer which will double as a tow.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »

Hi AdamD98.  I am going to post some more photos on the forum in the new year of my Portgarth build. Nearing the completion of the mast, and having trouble getting the mast lights done.  I will probably scrap the kits that I bought from the supplier and fabricate them myself.  The main thing that I found a real challenge was fixing the deck supports. The hull sides slope outwards just below the deck level. This makes it very difficult to secure the deck supports.  I shaped them out of wood before fixing them to the sides but on reflection it would probably be better to have filled in the slope  with filler so that I had a vertical side to fix the supports to.  Hope this helps.  Happy building. Brian

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »

Thanks Brian, all this advice helps immensely when it comes to a new build.

I will be fitting lights to the tug most definitely, along with a working winch and various other small features.

I am going to trial MMM's T12 motors first, running 70mm korts. I have seen some folk fitting schottel drives to the Portgarth but I personally favour steerable korts for this tug, and a bow thruster, which I haven't decided on yet.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 12:47:58 pm »

Hi Adam98.  I have two kort nozzles and independent control of the two motors.  I did succumb to the bow-thruster, arguing that because I had lost the maneuverability of the Z-drives I was justified in making up for it by adding the bow thruster.  Works well but is noisy. The light kits may be better than some years ago.  They look good on the website and MMM are helpful. Brian

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 09:14:19 pm »

Thanks Brian, I do intend to have independent control of the motors along with a bow thruster. I'm hoping to find and fit something quiet enough but something which has sufficient 'umph'!
Cheers,

-Adam-

newdabbler

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »

Thank you adam :-))

newdabbler

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:56 pm »

Thank you adam :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.