Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedline Models Competition Hull.  (Read 5371 times)

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Speedline Models Competition Hull.
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:03:52 pm »

Right lets try again. Bit more awake this time.

So who here purchased a Speedline Competition hull from international boat show. Me and wife bout 2 as she decided she wants to have a go at one. Also it all goes to a good cause. Not sure what to do for my one which I will make for my son. Think she wants to go lifeboat. The lifeboats caught her eye and she took quite a liking to them. She insisted on watching the final lifeboat display on Saturday as we arrived just as the first one was finishing. She also enjoyed having a go during the Kiddie Hour. So good job on the guy who dragged her up while we were getting our son a ticket.

Happy Modelling

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Speedline Models Competition Hull.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:41 am »

wow really no one purchased one.

Anyhows. do you guys think its possible to create a small jet drive or something which would work similar to one and look like one for this size hull. The bought I am looking at using the hull for actually runs twin jet drives.

Thanks

Happy Modelling.

James

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:02:16 am »

haven't a clue about what you are talking about 84....can you shed some light for those of us who didn't go and any photos as to what the comp is.........intrigued.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:10 am »

Baisically Neil Adrian Speedline models was running a comp.....buy one of his Dianna hulls and jazz it up you got a year to produce one and bring it to next years Int boat show and it will be judged on the water.....you can do what you like to it ......Trouble is it is only about 8 ins long.

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »

cheers Dave...........have you or anyone got a picture of the hull..........might have a bash if he will sell me one %% %% %%

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:02:36 pm »

I bought one, mainly for the charity aspect, and haven't a clue what I'll be doing to it.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »

Do we Know the price?
Do we know the Charity?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:23:12 pm »

everyone seem very secretive about posting some photos of this.............are they all afraid of their ideas being nicked, lol {-) {-) {-) {-)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 06:53:01 pm »

I'm with Neil, could we please have a picture because all this made me very curious! O0
Couldn't find anything on Speedline models website either.. {:-{
Hama

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:27:55 pm »

I'm trying to get a photo up of a stand at Leamington that had a selection of these small boats on display in various guises. As I'm having trouble getting the photo size right for the forum I hope you can see it.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:58 pm »

I think that it is the Kightcote MBC that are behind this competition - Speedline just made the hulls for them. It is intended to raise money for, I think, Cancer Research. If I remember rightly Adrian of Speedline had made and donated 40 hull and styrene packs,. I think it is the same hull as the miniature Fairey boat he's been selling on eBay.

Barrie

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 09:48:24 pm »

Thanks! :-))
Hama

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »

charity was cancer research if i recall correctly. I only purchased one for the charity side. Not interested in the comp at all really. My wife got one aswell as she wanted to have a go. She wants to do a lifeboat i believe and i can up with the Mk2 PBR i think. As said what makes it diffeicult is the hull is only 8". Its basically the 1/48 Huntsman 31 hull from what i can tell. Problem i have is the boat i am thinking of using run twin Jet Drives. And i really don't think i can make on e down that small. I may have a go but thinking i may have to make my own Prop as smallest i can see is prop shop 0.5". 

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

cheers guys.....now I see........any of them left Barrie do you know, and how much are they..........got an idea, lol

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »

Don't know Neil - I saw them at Leamington but didn't buy one. You would need to ring Adrian as they are not on his web site.

Barrie

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »

I picked up one of these challenge boats after talking to one of the Knightcote MBC members (possibly Geoff but I'm sorry as I am hopeless with names) who kindly showed me the insides of a couple of boats from the display stand. Some are driven by dismantled servos or what got me interested were some by small brushless motors. I decided to have a go because I tend to build too heavy; not done anything this small; and I haven't used brushless. Unfortunately, I didn't get details of the brushless motors and I can not find a supplier for any that small - I think they were outrunners about 1/2" diameter by 1/2" long. I would be grateful if someone can tell me what they are called and where to get them.

I have opened the packet and the hull is about 18cm long by 6.5cm beam. I estimate the displacement needs to be about 50 to 60g (2oz) at most.

Also in the packet is the entry form with the background information and rules. I have scanned it and included it below so those who didn't get one have a better idea of what this is all about.

Duncan

Speedline ‘Build-a-Boat’ to beat Cancer Competition

We aim to raise funds for cancer research with this competition - by ’buying a ticket’ in the form of a very simple boat kit for you to build and MODIFY to be only limited by the size of the hull and your imagination and ingenuity.

The hull/design is based on a very popular “Diana” model introduced a couple of years ago. The kit provides a hull, deck, sheets of plasticard, prop shaft, rudder shaft and tubes, a brass fret prop and rudder.

The model only needs to proceed under its own power - rubber, steam, electric — you decide. it can be free-running, tethered or radio controlled.

There will be a series of meetings during next year when the boats can be shown and final judging will take place at the Model Boat Show at Warwick next November.

The costs of producing the kits (40 only) are covered by Speedline Models and ALL proceeds will be donated to Cancer Research.

(If you need any ideas as to what can be done, visit the Knightcote Model Boat Club stand and see the variations-on-a-theme on their Diana display - remember, it must be based on the Diana hull - no extensions below the waterline. Club members will
probably assist with technical details if you ask very nicely!

Entries will be judged on originality, ingenuity, technical innovation, performance on the water and aesthetic appeal.

Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places - to be announced at the Model Boat Show, Warwick in November 2015.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »

Duncan, I have the Huntsman model and I am halfway through building it. I have started a build log on here. See Sports boat and leisure category. The motors the kit comes with are from hobby king - I believe the whole running gear comes from them. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__25079__NTM_Prop_Drive_13_12_2400KV_40W.html

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »

Me3

Thanks for the links.

Duncan

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:22 pm »

the hulls were £15 which all goes to cancer research. Thats one of the reasons i purchased one to be fair. Yeh i haven't tried weighting my hull down to see what she will take to get her down yet. As already said i don't think it will take much at all.

James

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:53 am »

Duncan doing a search for micro brushless motors came up with these from hobbyking. Do you think these are possibly the motors.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9666__HobbyKing_AP_02_7000kv_Brushless_Micro_Motor_2_3g_.html

James

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 09:21:56 pm »

Hi James

The link ME3 provided looks most like the ones used so I have ordered that, a 10A ESC & a little 2s 300mAH Lipo to go with it. As I understand it your motor would rev higher  - I do not know if this would be an issue.

Duncan

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:55 pm »

Yeh I didnt see the link he put up. I only came up with that link by doing a search for micros brushless. Realised after that they are supper high revving

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 04:59:51 am »

well my NQD Water Jet Drives arrived, Quite quickly considering the came from Hong Kong. I purchased two on the off chance they were small enough. I don't think they are but gives me a good idea now how to make some smaller ones. I am thinking I am going to end up making some with 12-15mm id I think which will require special props. Has anyone used either of the ones on shapeways. I see there are 16mm Props on there which I could probably turn down to my desired size to fit whatever size tube I decide to use. I may even make a bigger scale boat and use the bigger jet drives aswell.

Size wise this little hull will work out at a 1/48 scale PBR Mk2. Hmm be interesting to see if I can make a small enough water jet drive which will work. If not may end up using standard prop configuration and maybe making a fake nozzle out the back with the rudders attached to bottom.

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.