Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 10302 times)

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

is there a kit or somthing would really love HMAS Hammersley

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:59:13 am »

Sadly there are no kits available, and information is hard to come by, as I discovered.

Peter.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:33:23 am »

Allan Pew does a semi kit and I believe Steve Batcheldor does a hull.
I'm not sure what their order back log is now or the freight cost. Al was trying to get his back log down to under 6 months.

Both are 1/72 as far as I know.

sjbatche

• Shipmate
    • Steve's Model Ship Shed
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:51:09 am »

Hi
The Armidale Class Patrol Boats have been a bit of a favourite of mine for several years and I have made a few in different scales with a 1:72nd version being the most popular.
As Peter said there are no full kits available for these ships.
In saying that I occasionally sell some parts that you may find useful. I have produced a plan, a fibreglass hull and some resin bits and pieces in 1:350th, 1:72nd and 1:50th scales.  The photos below and the one in the post above show 1:72nd scale models made with my parts.
Steve

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »

It's almost too sleek to be a patrol boat. That is an attractive vessel, kudos goes to her designers.
Pond weed is your enemy

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:47:13 am »

Allan Pew does a semi kit and I believe Steve Batcheldor does a hull.
I'm not sure what their order back log is now or the freight cost. Al was trying to get his back log down to under 6 months.

Both are 1/72 as far as I know.
[font=]Al has now ceased this kit as part of his retirement but does have one he started for himself available. It is about 80% complete. All the semi kit’s fittings are on the model plus brass props and skegs and stainless steel shafts. No motors or anything else inside it. Also its stand, the plans and a DVD with 100+ photos on it.  Photos of it attcahed.[/font]
 [font=]It would be 400 pounds plus postage. Luckily, these are small enough for Australia Post to accept. If you are interested, I’ll PM his email address for you.[/font]

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:47:25 am »

In case anyone who has ever wondered how an Armidale powered by a pair of small brushless motors goes like, here is one running yesterday. :} 

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:34:43 am »

It's almost too sleek to be a patrol boat. That is an attractive vessel, kudos goes to her designers.

If my memory serves me correctly they are a UK design.
The first unit was built in UK with subsequent units built in Australia.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:39:01 am »

In case anyone who has ever wondered how an Armidale powered by a pair of small brushless motors goes like, here is one running yesterday. :}
Mudway,

Mate you are pulling my leg  O0 O0 clearly it surfacing from a dive  %) %) %)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:00 am »

If my memory serves me correctly they are a UK design.
The first unit was built in UK with subsequent units built in Australia.
Thast was the Fremantle class I think. These were designed & built in Oz by Austal.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:33 am »

Yes.
Oops, I had forgotten about the Fremantles, nearly incorrectly said the Armidales replaced the Attack class which they didn't.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:42 pm »

If our Destroyers and Frigates looked like that Armidale, then we would out style even the Italians!

Gorgeous looking machine, like an Aston Martin of the waves.
Pond weed is your enemy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:40 pm »

With a top speed of around 25 knots I doubt that any full size Armidale would perform like that :o , however, the model looks quite spectacular.

Peter.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 06:03:21 am »

This is as near as they get to it.
Models have the advantage that you can simply switch from 8.4 volts to 11.1 and get that extra power surge.  :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:58 am »

I must admit mudway, I have not seen such a full size image  :-)) at this visual speeeeeeed .........or is it wave hopping?

Possibly they increased the turbo boost on the MTU engines :embarrassed: to get the extra speed O0 .. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:11 am »

Good action shot  :-)) :-))
Looks like she is surfing the waves O0 O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »

Be careful you do not suffer a fire like HMAS Bundaberg who was decomissioned on the 18th December due to a major internal fire!

Crikey, it is good the aluminium hull didn't catch or it would have been goodnight Vienna for the shipyard as well.
Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:42:29 pm »

Be careful you do not suffer a fire like HMAS Bundaberg who was decomissioned on the 18th December due to a major internal fire!

Crikey, it is good the aluminium hull didn't catch or it would have been goodnight Vienna for the shipyard as well.

Article in local rag a while back that the shipyard has gone and 160 lost their jobs.
Whilst the yard had insurance, they have gone into voluntary liquidation seems like a law suit was looming so they got out.
Bundaberg is still sitting there while the Navy procrastinates as to wether they will scrap the hull or refit her??
With the current Liberal Government crying poor can't see it happening. They will probably take the insurance payout
Effectively one patrol boat down for the Navy.

NSW press............http://www.smh.com.au/business/hmas-bundaberg-fire-160-jobs-lost-20141104-11gp8g.html

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:46 pm »

No way would they refit her, the Armidales are on the replacement list. A combination of working too hard and the structure cracking had shortened their lives.
The replacements are likely to be all steel. Personally I think a bigger vessel capable of landing or carrying a helicopter would be more useful in their usual anti boat people patrols.  The RN's River Class have the same speed but are much more sea worthy and capable of sustained patrols.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:36 pm »

Guys......the comment  "A combination of working too hard and the structure cracking" ...is political speak speak for....someone made an error  <*< in the design review

The design criteria for any warship simplistically includes 100% power at 100% duty cycle frequency into 100% of the worst sea conditions within recorded history multiplied by an additional safety factor

Every structural aluminium MIG/TIG weld completed on each vessel construction was subjected to 100% NDT.........so the structural cracking is a design flaw...not working too hard>>:-( ......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 12:06:55 am »

You may well be right about that Derek. I was on board HMAS Bundaberg in Cairns, just before she left for Sydney to take part in the International Fleet Review, and spoke to several crew members. They told me that the Armidales were being worked beyond their original design specifications. Their official navy designation is ACPB, Australian Coastal Patrol Boat but, as most people would know, they have spent a lot of their sea time in mid-ocean chasing people smugglers, in all sorts of weather. It may well be that the design criteria were incorrect, but I have no way of knowing what that criteria is. The fact remains that they are suffering from overwork, for whatever reason, and cracks are appearing in the hulls. Perhaps aluminium was not the right material to use for such a vessel, but the builders, Austal, have a lot of experience building boats using that metal, including patrol boats for other countries.

As a class I believe that they are well liked by their crews, and are apparently good sea boats, plus they look good.

BTW, the boat shown in the photo above is ACPB 84, HMAS Larrakia.

Peter.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:01 pm »

I did wonder about their longevity when I read the turnaround times for crew. 6 hours does not give them much time to ready the equipment and check everything in maintenance.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:00 pm »

Peter....it is amazing what a WIKI search on the Armidales will provide in respect to design criteria

1. To operate in any WMO sea states as 'operational requirements' sea states  4 & 5 [moderate to rough in the WMO scale]
2. To operate in WMO sea state 9 as 'in motion survivable'  [phenomenal or the highest in the WMO scale]
3. Design class was to DNV [Det Norske Veritas] with a design criteria requirement of over engineering for improved reliability
4. Operational requirements being in any of the sea areas as defined by the 'Territories of Australia' [which by definition is clearly mid ocean]

So the above to me reinforces that the vessels are not being worked beyond their published design critera, however certainly any shortfall in the vessels performance is no reflection of any of our RAN vessel operatives  ...... Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FArmidale-class_patrol_boat&ei=o7C1VMnIHI_e8AXPxIKYAQ&usg=AFQjCNGSFrg9TaQcsojan3BH8MDmfpbi4Q&bvm=bv.83339334,d.dGc

The WMO sea state code largely adopts the 'wind sea' definition of the Douglas Sea Scale.
WMO Sea State Code
Wave height
Characteristics
0 0 metres (0 ft) Calm (glassy)
1 0 to 0.1 metres (0.00 to 0.33 ft) Calm (rippled)
2 0.1 to 0.5 metres (3.9 in to 1 ft 7.7 in) Smooth (wavelets)
3 0.5 to 1.25 metres (1 ft 8 in to 4 ft 1 in) Slight
4 1.25 to 2.5 metres (4 ft 1 in to 8 ft 2 in) Moderate
5 2.5 to 4 metres (8 ft 2 in to 13 ft 1 in) Rough

6 4 to 6 metres (13 to 20 ft) Very rough
7 6 to 9 metres (20 to 30 ft) High
8 9 to 14 metres (30 to 46 ft) Very high
9 Over 14 metres (46 ft) Phenomenal

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 12:11:32 am »

The rest of the Wiki article says "Each patrol boat has a standard ship's company of 21 personnel, with a maximum of 29 (not including use of the austere compartment).[1][8] Unlike the Fremantle class patrol boats, the Armidales do not have a permanently assigned ship's company.[1] Instead, there are 21 crews established for the 14 Armidale class patrol boats, which are divided up into four divisions: Attack, Assail, Ardent, and Aware.[2] The first three of the Divisions are assigned six crews for four ships, while Aware has three crews for two ships.[1] The ships are continually manned, with two out of three crews actively deployed while the third undergoes leave or training, or prepares to transfer into a ship: a handover can be accomplished in less than six hours.[1] The intention of multi-crewing is to allow the ships to spend more time at sea, without compromising sailors' rest time or training requirements.[2]".
The above sounds to me like they are being heavily worked. How many sea days a year was the design criteria based on?

Bundaberg is to be scrapped, all recoverable gear has been stripped from her and she is to be "recycled". One advantage of the aluminium hull. Only 7 years old.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 12:47:02 am »

The Department of Defence contract enquiry document was typical Political ''gooble goop''...as noted by WIKI....

"Instead of specifying a number of vessels, the coverage of 3,000 ship-days per year (with 1,800 to be spent on border protection operations, and a surge capability of 3,600 days) was given, with the producer to determine how many ships were needed to meet this.[3][4] The ships had to meet specific performance parameters, such as the ability to conduct boarding operations in conditions up to Sea State 4, and to maintain surveillance capability up to Sea State 5.[5] The producer was also required in the contract to provide support and maintenance for the ships, for fifteen years after construction completed.[5]"

My assertions are clearly that no suggestions are made that the vessel class are not subjected to a heavy frequency of workload ......however the design offered by AUSTAL's computer simulated FEA [finite element analysis] was based on false or questionable calculations as the requirements were clear...
In the real world this really comes down as to who or what reviewing authority accepted quotation submission... prior to awarding the contract to AUSTAL? .... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.