Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship's Names  (Read 3090 times)

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Ship's Names
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:51:08 am »

I was reading something the other day, and discovered that there should have been another member of the Queen Elizabeth class battleships, that was going to be called HMS Agincourt. The ship was cancelled and the name given to one already building for someone else. This led me to think, if the other members of the Admiral class battlecruisers (Hood , etc) had been completed what would the King George V class ships Anson and Howe have been given? Benbow, perhaps, for one?
Any suggestions?

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ship's Names
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »

I have often wondered where they get the names of boats from

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »

Most navies use traditional names for ships which is why there can be many previous wearers of a name.  In the case of of KGV the tradition of all the ships in a class having the same name source was not used as 3 were named for members of the Royal family and 2 (Anson, Howe) were named for historic Admirals.  The larger the ship the less chance of all the Class names being from the same source. 
American carriers are named for Presidents.  Some Soviet ships were named for events during the Revolution as were some Latin America ships like the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo (25th of May) the Argentinian carrier!
Tribal class destroyers were named for Tribes (Cossack, Matebele, Eskimo, etc).   Flower Class Corvettes for herbacious border plants and so on. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:15:57 am »

I notice, from another publication (Jane's Fighting Ships of WW2), that HMS Anson and Howe were originally to be called Jellicoe and Beatty. Still doesn't fit with the 'royal' names of the other KGVs though.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:06 am »

Naming of warships is a classic case of 'rules are meant to be broken'! There can be a lot of politics involved and things can change right up to the last minute. I believe that KGV was originally intended to be named after the then current king i.e KGVI as there was an earlier battleship at Jutland named after KGV who was the king at the time but King George VI wanted to honour his dad!

It has also been suggested that the second of the new RN carriers be named Ark Royal and not Prince of Wales but both names could be a bit embarrassing if it is mothballed or sold!

Maybe they should just call it HMS Unaffordable!

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »

Interesting naming scenario here Colin with the second new RN Carrier ...however if named as the P of W....would be a floating generational name...as one day we assume the name to be of the father ...but then the sun.....& I am talking about the land based ones......

Mind you this is only from an OZ perspective.....does the D of C become the P of W when his father returns to his maker?...or does the D of C become the P of W when his grandmother returns to her maker and his father become K C the III? ..... Derek

The following may answer some of these questions..... %)

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Froyalwatcher.tumblr.com%2Ffaq&ei=rMyAVIyFHcX08QWvgIH4BA&usg=AFQjCNEpSyTf6mFGvWouKb2KIQwTNnWHDQ
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:09 pm »

Who cares! Only one member of the Royal Family can be head of state. The rest are effectively just makeweights!  ok2

Colin

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:49:54 pm »

Here's some info on current USN ships' naming: http://news.usni.org/2014/11/26/document-report-congress-u-s-navy-ship-names

The comments at the bottom of the page indicate a bit of displeasure with some current practices - or practises (I can never keep those two words sorted)...

Tom

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »

I believe   there is to be no further naming of  RN warships after  a city  or town  >:-o
Bowwave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 03:26:38 pm »

I believe   there is to be no further naming of  RN warships after  a city  or town  >:-o
Bowwave

Oh pity pity <:(
Been waiting to build a model of HMS Milton Keynes the latest town class cruiser {-)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »

Yeah! HMS Skelmersdale New Town does have ring about it!

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »

No more HMS Exeter then....

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.