Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156334 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2015, 03:11:27 pm »

Coming along nicely.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2015, 04:37:48 pm »

Things are looking good Mark ,as we have said before different methods different ways , I am on with doing the Orange work ,I wish I had painted it before it was all glued up , as you say the masking is a thing to behold I've to do the green yet which ever way round I've done I wish I had done it the other way . Ah well if I had built it as Fairmount Summit I would not have to contend with the cross tubes from the hull to the inner bulkheads . Have you the batteries yet if so what are you using .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »

Brian / David

Thanks for your comments - David the painting of this boat is a test and I agree which ever way you do it there are benefits and negatives.  I deliberately left the cross tubes until now as i could not see another way of painting the deck and also getting the pipework in without real hassle.  It seemed to work ok for me anyway.  The masking though - Well I have spent more time masking and cleaning than anything else.  As for batteries I am definitely running 12v big un's  {-)

I have the room and they will be great ballast and everything that I have installed runs on 12v too.  I did make one major error though - The very rear hatches are in completely the wrong place.  I discovered this today when I installed the winch bollards.  To late to do anything about it though.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »

Been waiting to see your progress Mark, and the wait has been worth it, coming along very nicely indeed.

Your lights may benefit from adding a small current limiting resistor, just to drop the brightness a tad, just a thought..........

Look forward to the next phase on the superstructure.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »

Ta Stuart - I have to be honest I am loving building this kit 

Its a standing joke now within my family and friends about when its going to be finished  {-) .  I want to have all of the winches in by the end of July and then get on with the superstructure.  I find the big building fine its the detail that seems to take all of my time when I've got it.

When I do eventually get it on the water i think thats going to be one amazing day for me  :-))

bobhall

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:17 pm »

Hi David - I plan to connect the fire monitors to the superstructure using silicone tubing.  I'll connect it through a simple push fit which should be okay. As for my truck - My latest Euro Tramper is a LHD Mercedes Actros Megaspace.  Its a nice motor to live out of - plenty of space and as its a low rider euro spec it does the job I need it too.

Here it is

Hi Mark, I have been running through the posts on the Forum and noted the discussion on the rudders.  In twin screw vessels in the real world, and particularly in multihulls which have large beams, the rudders are only ever parallel when in the midships position.  This is because when turning, the inner rudder is following a tighter radius than the outboard rudder.  the amount of offset required takes into account vessel length and the separation of the rudders. I haven't bothered to work out the offset required as I assumed the connection shown in the kit had already taken the offset required into account.  It probably won't make a big difference on this model but it can lead to cavitation, breaking effect and stalling when turning if the rudders aren't set up correctly.
I noticed the motor mount bracket on your installation is below the gearbox. The same motors delivered to me have the mounting bracket under the motor itself.  Did you modify or move the bracket?  The 301-04 shafts are longer than the shafts supplied with the kit and it will be difficult for me to mount the motors with the bracket in its supplied location as it locates on the frame.
I am well into the painting (and sanding) of the main hull.  The real challenge for me at present is soldering up all the various components. I have found the guardrails particularly difficult. 
The forum, and particularly your posts, have provided excellent advice and helpful hints.  Thanks, Bob      [/quote]

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »

Hello Bob thanks for the nice comments  :-)). Yes I did turn the motor mount around as I was in the same situation as you.  It's an easy job - if you pull off the gearbox cover you will see the screws which hold it all together. All you need to do is remove the gearbox and turn the mount around. I hope this makes sense and really good luck with the painting

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2015, 04:23:59 am »

Hi Mark, I have now tried to turn the motor mounting bracket around but it doesn't clear the gearbox.  I notice you are using a lower ratio box than I am which may account for the bracket not clearing the gearbox.  I am using an 11:1 ratio which I hope will result in a fairly accurate scaled speed and bollard pull.' I will have to investigate the availability of a deeper bracket. Regards, Bob

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2015, 04:52:48 am »

Hello Bob thanks for the nice comments  :-)) . Yes I did turn the motor mount around as I was in the same situation as you.  It's an easy job - if you pull off the gearbox cover you will see the screws which hold it all together. All you need to do is remove the gearbox and turn the mount around. I hope this makes sense and really good luck with the painting
Mark, I have discovered the reason why my mounting bracket can't be rotated.  You have the smaller diameter gearboxes on your motors.  I hadn't realised there was a smaller diameter gearbox available on one of the MFA series motors.  I will either have to source a deeper bracket or workout how to fit the current bracket.  Bob

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2015, 08:51:00 am »

There are two Alpine builds going on at the moment so I will post this on both of them. I'm not sure how far you have got with the focsl deck, but this has a wealth of detail that you may want to add.

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2015, 10:51:49 am »

Thanks Brian for posting the Focsl deck photo.  I am painting the decks final coats tomorrow and now have a clearer idea what to mask up etc.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

Glad to be of assistance Bob.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2015, 10:38:55 pm »

Thanks Brian just finished the foredeck ,I painted the bollards in the deck colour and thy looked lost to me ,gone to all that trouble and thy were not very visible ,so I have done the in satin black . On with trying to  come up with a more secure way to fit the superstructure . Thank you for posting the picture . Trying to keep to the original paint is s bit of a bind when I did a search some pictures were one thing and a few months on it had changed again .
David

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2015, 10:41:46 pm »

I'm building the alpine too but jus got hull boarded out at mo , I was thinking along lines of neonidium magnets to hold forward island on if that helps 😃

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2015, 10:55:21 pm »

I had thought of that ,but when the supper is built it all is a bit fragile , and if the magnets have a good hold its not very good to get hold of and trying to pull apart and it comes up suddenly I for see damage happening , I built my supper first  gave it 4 coats of paint  also the deck had 4coats then they would not fit together had to sand the deck back to bare wood to get them to fit .
David

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2015, 02:08:08 am »

Uh oh I never thought of that 😁😁😁 think I'll sand a small gap before painting and maybe try fitting a secure support from deck up through structure to allow it to be taken apart safely when I do mine but keep up the good work as I've been following this and has helped a lot

Graeme

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2015, 02:33:02 am »

An interesting scenario here Brian60  %)............I wonder what Classification she sails under with one FWD anchor :embarrassed: housed only?.......

I thought that both DNV & Lloyds required two FWD anchors to be housed and operational?? ... Derek

Courtesy of a WEB page for the Fairmount Alpine build.......

"The forecastle deck carries a Kitagawa Kogyo anchor winch with two gypsies and two warp heads, and chain stoppers"
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2015, 04:26:18 am »

I did wonder Derek. But I think there are clues there, why so many crewmen on the foredeck? they must be waiting to do something? Why is the firehose run out across the deck?

It's not beyond reason they are about to  pull a new chain through, the hose being used to hose it down?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:05 am »

Brian....most vessels of this class have salt water washer sprays mounted in the hauser casting assemblys........these are generally interlocked to spray on the incoming chain when hoisting........ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »

Brian thanks very much for the photo's - Its great to see that I've actually painted the deck and its fittings in the right colours  :-))   Its also strange seeing the actual ship as I know it so well as a model!

I literally have yet again had no time on my build and its really starting to grate on me - I think I may have to take a holiday to get some decent work done.  I have done a little bit but hardly worth mentioning but here it is anyway.

After converting the rear deck lights to LED's it was time to mask up and paint them

I then fitted them to the winch house but they are in a different place to where they should be.  This was due to my lack of forward planning and I couldn't put them in the right place without seeing the wires so I had to compromise

Ans here they are all lit up  :-)

I also managed to forget to put in place an electrical outlet for the lower deck lights so I had to break out some of the completed wiring to get this in.  Yet more wiring but at least I have power in the lower deck now should I need it for anything else

Sorry for the lack of progress but thanks for looking anyway - Mark  :embarrassed:

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2015, 04:45:43 am »

Mark you are doing a super job so don't rush. I am sure you will be much happier with it when you finish it, I am following it with great interest, thanks for all the updates. Mick B. 
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2015, 03:20:43 pm »

Now don't fall off of your chairs but i have managed to make some much enjoyed progress  %%

I made a start on the winches on the lower deck

And also the protection rails - At least I think thats what they are  :o

There are five winches in total - The biggest sits on the very upper deck which I haven't started yet

I then prep'd them for painting by giving them two air brushed coats of EZ coat and a quick rub down

And then gave them a good prime and top coat

Here they are in situ but without any rope wrapped around them.  Thats because I'm waiting for the paint to fully harden first

Finally I finished off the lower deck lighting by fitting some warm white LED's under the stairs each side.  This proved to be much harder than I first thought and took me an entire day to fit and wire so that the wiring was virtually invisible inside the hull.

I'm pretty pleased with the results - You will have to excuse me in the shots but I'm holding a temporary power supply in place to light everything up!

Well thats it for the lower decks its all complete according to the kits instructions  ;)   So now I'm moving onto the superstructure which by the time its finished if it works out correctly will have loads of working lights and working fire tenders.

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2015, 08:42:29 pm »

Good to see the progress Mark ,it's all looking very good ,I worked the other way round ,I am on with the pipe work along the sides , have you a plan for the radar ,good man Stan pointed me in the direction for a motor so that's to sort next . All looks very good more power to your elbow .
David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »

Thanks David 😀 I've not thought about the radar yet so I'll have too now as it will soon be upon me.
I found the pipe work you are doing quite straight forward except for were it goes vertically up through the small boxes on the winch house. As the boxes are attached with 3 small supports getting the whole thing aligned was quite a challenge. Good luck 😀

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2015, 09:15:51 am »

Hi Mark
I found some pipe and small valves and pipe flanges from EMA Plastics so the pipe work is not to paint as it comes in self colour. Some of the valves just needed to be cut down . It looks ok to me when I have it made up. I will have ago at the other side today (Tuesday).
David
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.