Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156258 times)

inertia

Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2015, 11:41:39 am »

Mark
My intention is that the two cables from the P103 would connect into a Power Distribution Board such as the ACTion P102 or P107. These have fuses and also a voltage regulator which supplies power for the receiver. I would fuse the 720 motors at 10A each maximum. http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p107-power-distribution-board-with-power-switch-bec.html

Shane
UK VAT is only payable if the goods are supplied to someone in the UK. When posted direct to an Australian address there should be a reduction of 1/6 of the UK retail price (or 20/120) to allow for this. If you order on-line then it's possible that the UK retailer's system won't automatically deduct the VAT, so an E-Mail in advance is always a good idea. Conversely you are liable to pay Australian import tax or GST when the items pass through Aussie customs, although sometimes the Customs blokes over there don't bother with the paperwork if the value is relatively low.
Dave M

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2015, 11:49:11 am »

Thanks DM thats my charging, power supply and power distribution all sorted now - I think that Action are going to do exceptionally well out of me very soon  %%

inertia

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:29 am »

Yeah - and I don't get a penny in commission any more!
BTW the original Fairmount Alpine diagrams (of which there is a total of three) were done for Mick "Irish Car Guy" Burke and appear on the ACTion website here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php. Just scroll down the list to find them.
I use standard DC Power Plugs and sockets for charging points http://www.componentshop.co.uk/leads-and-connectors/connectors/dc-power-connectors
DM

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2015, 09:19:01 pm »

Hi Dave I think those wiring diagrams have helped  many modelers on here, so on behalf of all of us thank you Dave. The diagrams are 100% Because of health issues I have not used them yet, but I did figure out how to put a bow thruster in the rear as well. Mick B.( Raboesch part # 108-20)
Mick B.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2015, 09:45:54 pm »

Hullo Mick...compliments of the season  %)

By saying a Raboesch 108_20 thruster [21 mm width] can be installed in the stern keel plate.......does this mean that the laminated keel plate also has or can be reduced in height [internally] to accommodate this?............. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:01 am »

Hi Derek
Ihave put a stern thruster in my build there's a fair bit of work involved not so much height but width on account there is not much leeway to cut the thruster ,I have not quite come to term even with everyone help on posting photos . Iwill try and sort some later on today(Sunday 4 Jan) .
david48
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2015, 12:54:53 am »

Hi Derek, there is a bit of work involved & two 1MM copies of the pieces that make up that part of the hull/keel center have to be added to add extra strength both sides where you have to cut away the keel but then it is plenty strong. You will have to cut 1 MM on the floor to allow for the two pieces that you put on either side. I think if I remember David 48 did something similar to the way I did it, wait until we see his photos. I think there is something on U/tube too. If we cant sort it out I will get my wife to take some pictures & put them up, she is much better than me at that stuff but I hate asking her to help me with the computer. Mick B. ( I did not have to cut the thruster)it was wide enough with the added side pieces.
Mick B.

Shanew79

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:17 am »

Hi Mark,

Can you tell me the part number of the Roboesch prop shafts you're using???

Shane

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:45 am »

Hi Mark,

Can you tell me the part number of the Roboesch prop shafts you're using???

Shane

Shane the part numbers are Raboesch type no.R301-04.  I'll try and watch this thread but I'm back to work tonight and I'm heading out to Paris.  I'm not sure where I'm going from there and my internet access is a bit limited but I'll do my best - Mark

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2015, 01:23:28 pm »

HI Mark

As you are still looking for Raboesch prop shafts, try Deans Marine, they are the Importers, Ron always very helpfull

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:12 pm »

Here is stern Thruster pics I hope. Its A good idea to us the rear keel sections as tempates for the extra sides .I did not and it took abit of sorting making card templates,

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »

More stern thruster pics

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:32 pm »

Is it getting boring yet, more  stern thruster

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »

Doing this alters the hull curve slightly because the keel is wider ,there is not enough material left in the kit so I had to but a sheet of ply the same thickness of the hull. Any more info just ask and I will try to help.
David

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:49 pm »

Hi David & Derek the way you did it was just about the same solution as mine. However the 108-20 was not round, it had flat edges on both sides, it looked that it was made that way & when I cut out the shape of it in the 5 pieces that make up the keel at that point it fitted perfectly. However all 5 were very weak so I made two more the same as the originals without any cutting from the center.  When you lay the the two bottom pieces in place you will have to allow for the extra width the two added pieces create & cut back both sides to fit in their original positions I checked my mod again & in my case I used 2 MM ply as the reinforcing bits, It does look like it will be O/K. It was at this point I had a stroke in my left hand followed by a very serious operation to my right artery to my brain & all of a sudden boat building was on the back burner, the hand has improved but I am a left hander. There are other effects as well, like no short term memory.  Now to the matter of the flag, it flashes all the time & is annoying, I hope Martin can fix it. Cheers for now, Mick B.   
Mick B.

inertia

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »

Mick
Off-topic but if you Google "Canadian Flag Free Images" you can save one that you like and replace your forum avatar with it.
BTW no short-term memory isn't unique to stroke victims. Being over 60 is the real cause.  O0
Dave M

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2015, 06:27:21 am »

Thanks Dave but it looks like Martin was one step ahead, so my flag is flying again, thanks though, there were some nice flags there. Mick.
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »

Ok time for an update and get this thread back on track  {-)   Mind you how I got home this week is beyond me with all of the problems at Calais and the Eurotunnel - but I did  :-))

Now that the paintwork is finished I have moved onto a few jobs that I have been really wanting to do - Fit the motors!!!  I'll put some pics up of the paintwork later

So at last the main motors are in - I set the end float in the propshafts at the same time and they turn very sweetly  :-)

And then I fitted the props using loctite so that they don't end up at the bottom of the pond

Followed by the front bow thruster motor, which is wired the same as the main motors with silicone wire

A few pictures of the finished paint work

Thanks for looking but I wish I was better at taking photo's - I've also carried out a couple of modifications that were suggested by the very helpful people on this forum and I'll get those pictures up later.  I also need some more advice regarding colour - More to follow

Mark

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2015, 05:54:31 pm »

Hi Mark
Motors looking good ,is the through hull fitting for the fire monitors ,Iasked about electrical cooling and DM said with my installation it would be just warm . It will be a chalange getting water up to the jets takeing  in that the superstructure lifts off .
A lot off subject what motor do you use to get about Europe . I worked as a HGV fitter for the Carlisle company Robsons Boarder Transport in the Foden /Albion/ Ford D800 /1000 days .finished up adsheaven plant fitter a lot better .

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »

Hi David - I plan to connect the fire monitors to the superstructure using silicone tubing.  I'll connect it through a simple push fit which should be okay. As for my truck - My latest Euro Tramper is a LHD Mercedes Actros Megaspace.  Its a nice motor to live out of - plenty of space and as its a low rider euro spec it does the job I need it too.

Here it is

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »

So a couple of modifications to improve the build.  The first suggested by Brian56 regarding the fixing screws on the rear deck.  He suggested counter sunk screws which would sit flush with a soldered half crescent to make them look like deck tie downs.  So here goes

Firstly I had to remove the stainless washers that I had epoxied onto the deck.  After a few tries I found a very simple method.  I fitted a centre drill bit into the drill which simply grabbed hold of the washer and spun in out.  I'm sure that the heat of the bit had something to do with it too!

Next was to fit some countersunk washers in there place.  Fortunately for me my brother in law works with CNC machines so he turned some custom ones out for me  :-))   I wanted to get them as flush into the deck as possible to I had to bore out the existing holes but at the same time keeping them flat on the bottom.  In the end I reduced a dremel grinding bit down to the correct diameter and then bored the hole out as deep as I dared.  The washers were then epoxied into place

I then made the deck tie downs - I bent some brass wire into a D shape and then simply soldered this onto a M4 countersunk brass bolt.  They are a lot stronger than I thought they would be

And when they are fitted they look like this

I really like the result - Thanks Brian56 for your suggestion  :-))   The only problem I have now is what colour to paint them.  I'm really tempted to paint them in the same orange as the deck rails  %%  but they could be red, black or the same grey as the deck.  I would very much welcome suggestions and comments on this please.

The second modification was to the rudder servo set up.  JimG posted a solution and I have followed his advice.  I have changed the servo horn to a round one and reset the geometry on the linkages.  The result seems to be a fairly even turn between the rudders

Thanks JimG for the help  :-))  It might me a while before I get any more work done but I'll try my best - Mark

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:30 pm »

:-))...that's a brilliant resolution & lifelike fix.......with respect to painting......an alternative could be Brass Black which will also darken the soft solder.....& let them age naturally.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »

Hi Mark
Any thing that could form a trip hazard is mostly yellow ,like the tiedowns on the ferry ,just an idea .
David

Shanew79

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2015, 12:02:00 am »

Once again Mark looking fantastic. I swear that if us guys on the thread didn't know the real story about your experience with Model Boats, it would be easy to assume that you were a 20+ year experience builder. The paint finish is great, I have finally started putting mine together this weekend, and it's going well, almost have the hull completely framed. Keep up the great work with the thread coming!!!

Cheers

Shane :-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2015, 08:46:44 am »

Glad the tie downs worked for you, this is the system I am installing on my rebuild (Seahunter to POSH Venture)at the moment. As David said, anything that could be a trip hazard is either yellow or orange. This is not just the fitting, imagine a a square painted on your deck and the fitting in the centre of it.

This build is coming along famously now, the one thing I noticed and I don't know whether you intend to or not. The rear bulkhead/towing wall, behind which the winch is located. You have the panels in place between the 'tubing' some of these are actually open 'windows' and not filled, to add super detail take a look online for photo's of the ship.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.