Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156260 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 05:23:42 am »

Hi Bob, welcome to Mayhem, most of us on here have one or two screws loose. Where else would find grown men still playing with toys & make the whole thing feel absolutely real, some have just about got their own Navies. I am I must admit just as hooked as all the rest. I too am building the Fairmount Alpine but because of health issues I am at a stop right now. You will find lots of help on here but don't forget to say please & thank you, you will find it goes along way. I hope you have a nice time & you can always ask for help when you need it. Mick B.   
Mick B.

bobhall

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2015, 06:07:47 am »

Hi Bob, welcome to Mayhem, most of us on here have one or two screws loose. Where else would find grown men still playing with toys & make the whole thing feel absolutely real, some have just about got their own Navies. I am I must admit just as hooked as all the rest. I too am building the Fairmount Alpine but because of health issues I am at a stop right now. You will find lots of help on here but don't forget to say please & thank you, you will find it goes along way. I hope you have a nice time & you can always ask for help when you need it. Mick B.
Hi Mick B, Thanks for your welcome and your kind advice.  Very sorry to hear of your health issues and trust you will be well enough to continue your boat real soon.  You are right about the help on the MB Mayhem - already I have found the support and advice outstanding.  I am sure I am going to enjoy the forum.  Thanks. Bob 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2015, 12:33:22 pm »

Test Notification post for Bob - please ignore this post everyone!  :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shanew79

• Shipmate
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2015, 08:25:29 am »

Hi Bob,

I would also like to welcome you to the thread and the forum. As one of your fellow countrymen I can honestly say you are among mates here. You will find the advice from Mark and the boys great and helpful throughout the build. I am also enjoying the build of my first scratch built boat and if you're in need of any advice you only need to ask. Billing kits seem to be great and are very forgiving. Can't wait to here of your progress. Enjoy!

Shane :-)

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2015, 12:59:03 pm »

Hi Bob,

I would also like to welcome you to the thread and the forum. As one of your fellow countrymen I can honestly say you are among mates here. You will find the advice from Mark and the boys great and helpful throughout the build. I am also enjoying the build of my first scratch built boat and if you're in need of any advice you only need to ask. Billing kits seem to be great and are very forgiving. Can't wait to here of your progress. Enjoy!

Shane :-)
Thanks Shane for your welcome.  I'm enjoying the Billing kit - it seems to go together very well. The challenge for me will be finding a transmitter which will do what I want without having to pay a fortune.  The Robbe Futaba F14 Navy Twin Stick would meet my requirement but it is 40MHz system which I understand isn't recommended in Australia. My work on the kit has slowed up because of the time I'm spending on the net and phone getting advice and then sourcing equipment which needs to be fitted in the near future, the first item being the bow thruster which originally I wasn't going to fit.  Enough of my rambling. Cheers, Bob 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2015, 04:47:49 pm »

Bob, buy the tx/rx system you can afford and then for extra switching, add one of the many multi switches that are available, these give you switching of many devices from one channel of the tx.

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2015, 01:42:27 am »

Bob, buy the tx/rx system you can afford and then for extra switching, add one of the many multi switches that are available, these give you switching of many devices from one channel of the tx.
Thanks Brian.  That sounds very good advice.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:00 am »

Hi Bob, I have an F14 & it is one clever radio.  You do not need it with all the bells & whistles available but one module alone added to it will bring it up to 36 channels I think. You do not need tank steering if you fit your boat with the ACTion P94 unit & you get 20 amps on the two separate ECS it has built in plus it has a built in mixer as well (it will not work with brushless motors) you do not need them in a tug like the Fairmount Alpine anyway. If you have any questions go ahead & ask Mick B.
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:46 am »

Time for an update as at last I have finished the electronics installation and the wiring.  I must at this point thank Inertia as he has answered all of my many questions and has also helped me understand how it all works.  I have found this part extremely frustrating at times but i now understand the systems so much better which will make things easier for me in the future.

I've not done step by step photo's as I don't think that they would have made sense.  So here are the pictures of the finished installation.  All that's missing are the batteries and the receiver as I haven't bought these yet.

I have installed a P94 mixer which is set for 100% mixing for this type of boat.  A P93 which is set at 7.2v and is the speed controller for the forward bow thruster and finally a P91 which is set in two ways.  It is a momentary switch for the fire monitors and a latching switch for the lighting system.  The receiver will be fitted next to the P91 when I eventually buy my radios  %%

The completed main distribution boards

The 2.5mm plug is for the power up to the main superstructure so that I can disconnect it when I take the top off

The water pump for the fire monitors

I think there's about 7m of wire in the polyester braiding  :o :o :o   I think it all fits ok and I've tested it with a meter and it all seems ok.  I'll have another update at the weekend as I've been very busy working on the detail which is going really well

Thanks for looking and contributing to the thread - Mark

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

Hi Bob, I have an F14 & it is one clever radio.  You do not need it with all the bells & whistles available but one module alone added to it will bring it up to 36 channels I think. You do not need tank steering if you fit your boat with the ACTion P94 unit & you get 20 amps on the two separate ECS it has built in plus it has a built in mixer as well (it will not work with brushless motors) you do not need them in a tug like the Fairmount Alpine anyway. If you have any questions go ahead & ask Mick B.
[/quoteThanks for the information Mick.  I have had a close look at the F14 and it is certainly impressive.  The only issue with it is the 40MHz frequency which I understand may be an issue in Australia.  I need to check that out thoroughly. Being a retired marine pilot I would prefer to operate the 'engines' independantly so I can manoeuvre the vessel in a realistic manner. Thanks for your offer to answer my questions, of which I am sure there will be many over the coming months. Bob

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2015, 01:13:29 pm »

Time for an update as at last I have finished the electronics installation and the wiring.  I must at this point thank Inertia as he has answered all of my many questions and has also helped me understand how it all works.  I have found this part extremely frustrating at times but i now understand the systems so much better which will make things easier for me in the future.

I've not done step by step photo's as I don't think that they would have made sense.  So here are the pictures of the finished installation.  All that's missing are the batteries and the receiver as I haven't bought these yet.

I have installed a P94 mixer which is set for 100% mixing for this type of boat.  A P93 which is set at 7.2v and is the speed controller for the forward bow thruster and finally a P91 which is set in two ways.  It is a momentary switch for the fire monitors and a latching switch for the lighting system.  The receiver will be fitted next to the P91 when I eventually buy my radios  %%

The completed main distribution boards

The 2.5mm plug is for the power up to the main superstructure so that I can disconnect it when I take the top off

The water pump for the fire monitors

I think there's about 7m of wire in the polyester braiding  :o :o :o   I think it all fits ok and I've tested it with a meter and it all seems ok.  I'll have another update at the weekend as I've been very busy working on the detail which is going really well

Thanks for looking and contributing to the thread - Mark
Nice work Mark.  It really look the business and the workmanship is inspiring.  Thanks for all the posts and photographs.  Bob

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »

Now that is a very neat install of electrics, I just hope when I get to this stage with mine I can come somewhere close to this, congratulations mate.

Stavros

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »

Where did you get the braiding from looks really neat

Dave

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments  :-))   It took me soooo long to do this part of the job  %%

Dave - Here's a link for some 8mm braiding but it comes in all different sizes.  I used 3 different types with this installation but its really cheap - 5 meters for under £4.  There's plently of videos on Youtube on how to use it.  But basically when you cut it you need to burn the end with a flame to stop it unravelling.  Then simply seal the end with heat shrink once the wires in.  As you can see I've also done all of the receiver wires which involves removing the plugs but its simple to do and looks good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-8mm-Expandable-High-Density-Polyester-Sleeve-Braid-Cables-Wires-5-13mm-/261160057548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cce5a3acc

Stavros

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »

Thanks for that

Dave

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »

Hello

Can you explain to me to what are of use all the fuses

Very beautiful realization

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »

Hello

Can you explain to me to what are of use all the fuses

Very beautiful realization

Hi Gazou - well I'll do my best!  The main distribution board has two halfs which each powering more than one circuit.  These combined circuits are protected by 15amp fuses.  Then each motor has its own fuse of 10amps.  I think that technically the motors do not actually need any separate fuses but the small boards that I used made the wiring so much easier to do.  And that my friend is as much as I understand  :embarrassed:   Sorry.  Oh and I also guessed the fuse sizes so there were no ingenious calculations there either  {-)   I've just realised what a cowboy electrician I am!

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2015, 05:36:04 pm »

Looking right proper job! :-))

Probably a daft question but I'm good at those :embarrassed:  where is the intake for the fire monitors?!

Pete
Now where did I put that?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »

Under the water  ??  {-) {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »

Under the water  {-) {-) {-)

Ned

{-) {-)  Cruel yet funny  %% %%   Hi Peter its not a daft question at all.  If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see that I expoxied a water intake nipple onto the bottom of the hull.  The pump is self priming so no issues with it drawing the water up into itself  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

Not being cruel. Having seen the aformentioned posts I thought it was
a funny question.
I would never belittle or be cruel to another forum member.
As a retired electronics engineer  I am impressed by your wiring
It looks very professional.

Ned

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2015, 06:29:43 pm »

{-) {-)  Cruel yet funny  %% %%   Hi Peter its not a daft question at all.  If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see that I expoxied a water intake nipple onto the bottom of the hull.  The pump is self priming so no issues with it drawing the water up into itself  :-))

Thanks mark! :}

As to you ned......pffffthhsss!!!  {-)
Now where did I put that?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »

So be it

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2015, 06:38:06 pm »

Not being cruel. Having seen the aformentioned posts I thought it was
a funny question.
I would never belittle or be cruel to another forum member.
As a retired electronics engineer  I am impressed by your wiring
It looks very professional.

Ned

Cheers Ned - The biggest issue that I always seem to have when doing this sort of thing is the routing of the wiring.  I always seem to either leave the wiring short so that it pulls tight or the opposite where I have too much spare.  I guess it must just come down to experience!  Also I knew you was only joking LOL - I do have a wicked sense of humour it has got me into serious trouble on more than one occasion  :embarrassed:

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:39 am »

On with a bit of detail  :}   This is the bit that I've been itching to do as it brings the whole thing to life.

First up was the railings.  The method I used was to place a piece of masking tape on the boat and mark out the positions of the posts.  I did this because I didn't want to damage the paintwork that I had already finished

I then drilled these markings into a scrap but flat piece of wood and then placed the stantions in the holes.  I then passed the brass through the stantions and simply soldered them up.

I think the results have come out ok.  For those who are building this model you will notice that I have changed the stantions for brass ones supplied by Billings.  This is just my personal choice

Then I made the detailed parts on the starboard side and fitted them.  Nothing at this stage is actually glued in because I want to paint all of the parts first

I did modify these down lights as the kit supplies some little wooden parts which are supposed to be glued onto the end of the brass wire but honestly it looked awful.  So I made up a piece out if brass tube and soldered it on instead

I've also had a go at making the hand rails for the stairs.  Very tricky but I'm getting there

The only part I'm unhappy with are the "Upside down J Pipes" on the deck.  I think they my be some kind of overflow or relief exit from somewhere inside the boat.  I have used the 5mm copper bar supplied in the kit but I just cannot get it to bend correctly to look right.  If any can suggest a different material I would be very grateful  :-))

Thanks for looking - Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 24 queries.