Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156271 times)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »

Hi mark
I see what you meen about the vent pipes, I used a large fence staple cut down to size , I then filed the end flat and drilled a small hole and glued in a panel pin to act as a spigot ,then polished it up with emery tape and as with all the brass  I gave it a coat of zinc chromate primer . I liked your idea for the cable sleeve so I will pick some up from RS on Tuesday did you use shrink sleeve supplied for the job or just standard sleeve . I will get back to my build just finished the wife's hobby room .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:55 pm »

Hi Mark,
The rails look good.
Will they get painted on the jig?
If so, they will be easy to glue in place with a
short bit of paint free leg to go in the deck holes.   :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:42 pm »

David - What a good idea!  Where did you get the fence staples from and I take it they were brass?  As for the braid ebay is probably the cheapest place and you can use any type of heat shrink you like  :-))   If you have any issues I'll help you out

Ned - Yes I was planning to paint them on the jig.  Fortunately the tails are quite long and they are a really good fit into the deck.  I was thinking about cleaning them in coca cola before degreasing them to make sure that all of the flux and impurities are off!

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2015, 09:18:55 am »

Hi mark
Sorry if I missled you thy were just ordinary galvanised staples  ,if you want some I will send you some . If you have to buy them you will get a bag of half a kilo to many and never be used again . Where I live I have a lot of fence to keep right . Thank for the help with the braid but have to go to Aberdeen on Tuesday to take the wife to hospital for a check up so will have all day to put time in so it will be  down to the harbour to see the oil support ships.
David

Shanew79

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2015, 11:16:46 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments  :-))   It took me soooo long to do this part of the job  %%

Dave - Here's a link for some 8mm braiding but it comes in all different sizes.  I used 3 different types with this installation but its really cheap - 5 meters for under £4.  There's plently of videos on Youtube on how to use it.  But basically when you cut it you need to burn the end with a flame to stop it unravelling.  Then simply seal the end with heat shrink once the wires in.  As you can see I've also done all of the receiver wires which involves removing the plugs but its simple to do and looks good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-8mm-Expandable-High-Density-Polyester-Sleeve-Braid-Cables-Wires-5-13mm-/261160057548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cce5a3acc

Dave you can also get the braiding from Hobbyking.com out of china

Regards

Shane

Shanew79

• Shipmate
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2015, 11:31:57 pm »

Thanks Shane for your welcome.  I'm enjoying the Billing kit - it seems to go together very well. The challenge for me will be finding a transmitter which will do what I want without having to pay a fortune.  The Robbe Futaba F14 Navy Twin Stick would meet my requirement but it is 40MHz system which I understand isn't recommended in Australia. My work on the kit has slowed up because of the time I'm spending on the net and phone getting advice and then sourcing equipment which needs to be fitted in the near future, the first item being the bow thruster which originally I wasn't going to fit.  Enough of my rambling. Cheers, Bob

That's cool mate just take your time, no rush. As for the transmitter, I've got a JR 11X, which is a 2.4GHZ radio. This is quite an advanced type of radio used for mainly RC Planes and Helicopters, which is where my main RC experience comes from. I is truly a fantastic piece of equipment but you certainly don't need that level first up. As I said to one of the other guys on the thread, check out Hobbyking.com. Some great gear available at very cheap prices. They have a warehouse on the southern highlands of NSW and the post within a couple of days anywhere in Oz. In fact all of you guys on the thread should check it out if you haven't already. Some great toys for all us big boyz. Ha Ha!!

Shane

bobhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2015, 03:29:30 am »

That's cool mate just take your time, no rush. As for the transmitter, I've got a JR 11X, which is a 2.4GHZ radio. This is quite an advanced type of radio used for mainly RC Planes and Helicopters, which is where my main RC experience comes from. I is truly a fantastic piece of equipment but you certainly don't need that level first up. As I said to one of the other guys on the thread, check out Hobbyking.com. Some great gear available at very cheap prices. They have a warehouse on the southern highlands of NSW and the post within a couple of days anywhere in Oz. In fact all of you guys on the thread should check it out if you haven't already. Some great toys for all us big boyz. Ha Ha!!

Shane
Thanks Shane.  The JR 11X looks the business with flexible software.  I'm surprised  that someone hasn't modified the software/display for use as a tank and boat model transmitter.  Bob

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2015, 10:59:03 pm »

Hi Mark
 What's the trick in fitting the braid,made a start today all a bit frustrating ,I was making up the batterie chargeing circuit . I finished up  using a pen top to thread the wire through .it took me some time to find a solution that worked for me .
David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2015, 06:50:13 am »

Hi David - Push the wire into the end of the braid.  Then stop it from going any further by pinching the end of the braid against the wires.  Next push the braid towards the pinch point from the end that is not on the wire and you will see that it expands and then wants to move up the wire.  Then simply release the pinch point and it will just shoot up the wire.

Heres a Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6tLH2pvVo&spfreload=10

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2015, 08:55:28 pm »

Hi Mark.
I got there in the end ,the vidio was good  never thought about the heat gun . I bought some shrink tape from RS components , Ifound this very useful . Still got a few feet to cover .
David

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:16 pm »

Great build, and great workmanship too. Very nice model.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2015, 10:58:46 am »

A bit of an update - Looking back I was unhappy with the way I had made the life raft supports.  They simply looked like spiders legs and I had also missed out the cross supports as at the time I thought that they would not matter.  Lesson learnt there  <*<

So to put this right I made up a little jig to get them right.  I also used solder paste for the first time which was recommended to me by someone from this forum.  It made the job so much easier and I was pleased with the results.

Then it was back to the painting.  I used etch primer for the first time which goes on great but smells horrible  :o

Next I made up the rest of the forward deck parts and finally got the finishing coat onto everything.  I haven't got any step by step photo's of this stage as its just repetitive but here are pictures of the results.

Next to do are the stairs and then some of the detail on the lower deck

Thanks for looking - Mark

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:10 pm »

Great work Mark and some very neat wiring :-))

Kind Regards

Nigel

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:37 pm »

Hi Mark
I was wondering where you had gone ,I've had all my deck fitting made for weeks ,just got round to painting as  you say the etching primer has a bit of a niff with it , who's paint are you useing .
I am thinking about trying to make the crane names myself out of decal  inkjet paper . It will take a bit of working out to set it out ,I've trailed the net and can not find a correct aspect picture to try and grad one . Still looking good
David

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »

Bottom right of this page, text in red. The first link is a brochure showing Macgregor equipment fitted on the Fairmount

http://www.cargotec.com/en-global/macgregor/solutions/offshore-support-vessels/Pages/default.aspx

Deck cranes were MacGregor Plimsoll

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2015, 11:23:06 pm »

Hi Brian
Thank you for the link I will troll through it but on first glance I can not find the Plimsoll name , it's bed time now so will look tomorrow .
David

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2015, 07:41:26 am »

:-))

Although I do have to say the boom that displays the name Macgregor has more impact.

Fairmount Summit by the way.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2015, 08:39:49 am »

Hi David I'm still here 😀 just been very busy. I've changed jobs so I'm back in the UK on car transporters.  I've done some detailing work and should have an update in a few weeks after I get back from Barbados 😃.
The paint I used was all from Halfords and good luck with your painting. Nice pictures Brian I'm surprised quite how well mines starting to look like the real thing!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

Hi David,

I'll resurrect this topic seeing as its been a week or two :embarrassed: back to the deck cranes. Specifically Plimsoll, I'm doing this because amazingly it is fitted to my build as well. On my photo's I thought the crane was by Palfinger, but on magnification of the photo's it does say Plimsoll.

This is probably because Plimsoll is a far eastern (Singapore) company and this is where my ship was built, a bit of background. Plimsoll was purchased by Macgregor, who also form a larger company alongside of Semco, who wonder of wonders own Palfinger  in Europe- a tangled web!

Well the point of all this is that there are ZERO diagrams of Plimsoll cranes available to download, the only link was on the parent homepage that I posted earlier, but hte link is broken for all their downloads! Sooooo, I think you will find that a Palfinger diagram will get you close to what is actually fitted and they are available! That is what I am currently basing my crane on.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:37 am »

Thought this photo may interest you, it not the Alpine but another from Fairmount, the Expedition. Size for size anchor handlers really do have some oomph behind them!

Notice on some of the ships they have the web address of the company on the front rather than the IMO number, the logo is now tucked away on the port and starboard superstructure walls. I have seen photos of the Alpine in both guises- imo number and also the logo, so it looks like when it went in for a splash of paint things have changed. I t depends on time period of your build as to which to adopt.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2015, 10:45:18 am »

Thanks for the picture Ido not know what time frame Mark is using but my build is to the best of my ability is new ,so it will be before Boskalis took Dryfuss over .
On with trying to paint the hull but fighting the weather down to 10° and very damp ,I missed the summer day we had
David

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »

Hello Mark,

just discovered your build and I'm very impressed  :o

it looks great

there's a lot of attention to details !!!!
it's a pleasure for the eye  :-))

Have a great day !!!

Olav

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2015, 11:27:20 pm »

Crikey you really understand the power of these ships when you see pictures like that  :o   Thanks for sharing Brian

I will have an update soon - life has taken over some what but I'm back in the workshop tomorrow.  I have missed working on my build so upwards and onwards  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2015, 11:29:55 am »

Ok time for some small updates - sorry its been so long but I've been too busy to get on with the build.  Right time for stairs and pipework  :-))
Having made the railings for the stairs which I found to be very tricky it was time to get the paint on them.  I had a little production line on the go!

A couple of pictures of the fitted stairs

Next up was the pipework that goes from the winch housing to the rear deck.  I messed up a bit here as I only took a couple of photos  >>:-(

Then how they look painted albeit on the other side of the deck

Then some smaller pipework - This is 0.5mm brass which I found difficult to paint for some reason.  Even though I used etch primer the black paint just did not want to go on smoothly.  I guess its just the small diameter of the brass?

Then DISASTER  <*<

I wanted to paint the recesses in the winch house black but even though I used the same paint that I always have I have a big reaction which ruined the finish

Not to worry though I spent a few hours rubbing it back and painted it to its original green. The masking up though was something to behold.

I'll get some more pictures up later - Thanks for looking Mark  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »

The next job was to finish the winch house.  This involved making and fitting the winch pulley and also making the winch ropes.  I didn't use the rope supplied in the kit I used some wax coated rope instead.

Now that I had finally finished the pipework on the lower deck I could make and install the rail strengtheners.

Which obviously needed painting  %%

And then fitting

Next was to paint and fit some winch bollards (I think I made that name up  {-) )

So thats the lower decks finally complete  :-)) :-))

I'm currently working on the rear deck lighting which I have converted to mini LED's.  I'm really unsure whether to leave them in the grey that they currently are or to paint them white or green.  They are going to be fixed to the winch house so if anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.

They are very bright  :embarrassed:

Just a picture of where I have now got to on this build

So my final jobs left before starting on the superstructure are to make the four winches that are located on the lower decks and install the lower deck lighting.  I'm sure I'll have another update soon - Thanks for looking Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.