Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156228 times)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

Hi Mike ,it's Mark that has put screen washer piping on his build , not me .
David .
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45:09 am »

You see David what happens as you get old, you just get more confused. I now have trouble with things that happened just 24 hours ago or less.  I must say though that you are both doing a fantastic job of your builds & very informative too. Thank you both. Mick B.
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2015, 07:39:55 am »

There you go it shows you just how little I know about ships. I thought that it was a rail and it turns out to be a wash pipe. Oh well you learn something new every day 😀   The pipe is not actually a pipe Mick it's just 1 MM. brass rod and it's only for show unfortunately.  Thanks for the ideas about the Windows chaps but I think glass will be a step too far for me. I won't use the supplied acetate either if it scratches like you say David.  I'll have a look around the Internet for a solution in plastic of some kind. As for the lettering I'll probably use the rub on type letter that you can buy on a sheet and then fix them with a coat of laquer

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2015, 07:16:15 pm »

The pipe work is a drench pipe. I explained it in my last update of my anchor handler. Basically during fire fighting (think Piper Alpha) Even standing off 100 metres the heat is enough to buckle and crack plating and break glass. The drench pipe sprays water onto the superstructure/glass to keep them cool in such circumstances.

If you check close up photo's of the real ship you will find them in various diameters all over the place.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:15 am »

Thanks Brian that makes sense I'll have a closer look now at the pictures of the ship and see if there's anymore I need to fit

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:18 am »

Hi Mark
There is green pipe work just above deck level on the out side of the stantions . Have a look at EMA Plastics thy have coloured pipe , I used it for the pipe work down the side of the orange structure on the work deck .David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:58 am »

Thanks David I'll have a look on their website

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »

More railings this week and also a start on the working fire monitors.

I finished the railings that go around the very top deck and these ones incorporated a ladder that comes off of the top rail.  I must say that this really tested my patience  >>:-(   Trying to solder the rungs on the ladder was very difficult for me.  I found that every time I put any heat near them they either moved out of place or the rung further down did.  I used solder paste but still found it hard.  If anyone could please tell me their technique for this I would be very grateful but here are the results.  I also made the final big railing for the second deck.

Next onto the fire monitors.  I could not find any after market monitors that were to scale so I knew that I needed to make my own.  I wanted to make them as identical as I could to the static ones supplied in the kit.  What I have done so far is to bend a 4mm brass tube so that it fits between the two halves of the kit monitor.  I then epoxied these pieces together and the results so far are quite good.  The gap in the middle will be filled with body filler.

And when fitted it looks ok too.  Its obviously not cut to size yet but you get the idea  O0

The tube goes down through the superstructure through two brass bearings which allows them to swivel.  The plan is to use a mini servo to steer them which I'm hoping will work.

I've looked for mini servos on the internet but the choice is bewildering  %%   If someone could recommend a mini servo for this purpose that would be great too.  Apart from this work its mainly been loads of sanding and prep for the final paintwork.  As per usual this has taken hours of work!

Mark  :-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

Hi Mark
Your had rail looks good . Few tips is once you have solder one run on the ladder is put a crocodile clip/ hair clip on the joint . this will  act as a heat sink on that joint. 2nd tin all joint on the ladder first . using flux and a dap of solder on the tip of the iron ,solder the joint . Once it is soldered cool straight away with wet sponge to remove heat.
Any 9 gram micro servo will do . Get them cheep on Ebay

John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »

Thanks for the advice John - I've got a couple more ladders to make so I'll give your suggestion a try.  It does make sense though  :-))   looking back I went wrong  trying to solder all of the rungs at the same time  :embarrassed:   I've also ordered a 9g servo - £2.49 what a bargain I just hope it actually works for that money  {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

Well I think I've had a good result on the fire monitors  %%   Although it needs a little more finishing before a coat of bright red it actually looks pretty good.  In fact far better than than I thought it would be.  Its the same size as the static kit monitor and it swivels very freely.  I made the outlet smaller by modifying the aluminium part of a pop rivet of all things.  It just needed the diameter reducing a bit and then I epoxied it in place.  If the jet size is a bit big I'll simply fill the hole with some more epoxy and drill a smaller hole.

I've also ordered some tiller arms that will fit over the tubes for the steering of them.  I've just got to decide whether to move them independently or together as a pair (thanks to david48 for making me think about these things before I firm up the outcome).  Just one more to make now then  :o

I've also now glued the two upper parts together as its time to paint the interior of the bridge which will be white.  Before doing this though I just shot a bit of blue up into the places that will be impossible to get to later.

Thanks for looking Mark  :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »

Hi Mark ,off fire monitors a bit  just a note , fix the name boards on the top rail before you finally fit the railings also the life rings . I found it a pain today .
David

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2015, 11:34:33 pm »

Hi Mark you are doing a super job as always. I just wanted to let you know that the smaller the nozzle on the monitors the farther it will spray, just make sure that all your connections are very tight. If you want different sizes made just let me know the I/D of tube & I can make you some different sizes to try if you can't find any in the U/K, cheers again & thanks for sharing, Mick B.
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:34 am »

David thanks that will save me some bother later on. Mick what a top offer thanks very much I'll let you know how they work 😀

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »

Absolutely fantastic workmanship. Great build.
Cheers,

-Adam-

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:24 am »

I have somehow managed to put some pictures of my Fairmount build on to the Mayhem group on / in Facebook, so if anyone wants a look thy are there . It would be good if thy could be moved on to the forum . " Oh there in my wife's name "
David .

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2015, 05:50:08 pm »

I've now managed to finish the fire monitors and I'm really pleased the way they came out!

I've also made a start on painting the bridge.  I started with the inside and just painted it simple white.  The holes are also drilled for the LED lighting and also for the wiring that will be coming from the mast.

And then the hard part came!  I knew that I needed to mask all of the windows from the inside and I knew it would be difficult but I really underestimated just how difficult  <*<   Four hours (Yes four hours) later the masking was complete and I painted the orange on the outside.

But when I removed all of the tape the time was well spent.  You can see the contrast in these pictures and I got hardly any overspray on the inside  :-)

And lastly the etch primer is now on the railings

Still lots more painting to do but I'll update this thread as I get it done - Mark

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2015, 06:27:00 pm »

Hi Mark
Things are coming on very well ,window masking is a lot of work just to throw away ,you must have someware warm to work , I tried the other day to do a bit more but the cold drove me out of the shed , it's 6m X 5m made from wood and -5 so it will not warm up . Where have you put the pump for the monsters ,out of interest .
Davi

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2015, 06:34:39 pm »

Hi David - I work in our spare room mate.  No one ever uses it but me so its like my indoor shed  {-)

The pump for the monitors is situated just in front of the bow thruster

inertia

« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2015, 06:41:27 pm »

Mark
I'm interested to know which brand of etch primer you used for the railings.
Dave M

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »

Hi Dave - nothing special just a rattle can of Halfords own brand etch primer.  Its smells horrible!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:13 pm »

Hi Dave & Dave, Tamiya makes an etched primer for metal. I don't know how good it is but from the price it should do the job very well!!. Mick B.
Mick B.

Stavros

« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2015, 10:18:12 pm »

Dave use U Pol do an ebay search for it,halfords sell it as well

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »

Dave use U Pol do an ebay search for it,halfords sell it as well

Dave

Another vote for U-Pol
Not cheap but does the job nicely and an excellent finish.... In most cases no flatting is required
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2015, 01:16:29 am »

The etch primer I used was from Squires , it is zinc chromate I think and it has rather a strong smell.
David
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.