Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156248 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #275 on: December 30, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »

I've been busy painting over the xmas holiday - firstly the top decks of the bridge have had their final colours and the railings have had a coat of white too

Then it was on with the bridge glazing - Oh my - what a job I hope never to repeat  {:-{   I used 0.5mm acrylic which is nice and easy to use but cutting all of the windows and squeezing them in!  I did the best I could and its turned out okay - but that describes it best  - its just okay

I have made a start on the lower part of the superstructure - Not too many photo's here as they would be very repetitive but it was the usual - seal the wood; prime; see the faults; sand; prime again and so on until you get there

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: December 30, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »

Next I masked up the interior floor of the bridge and painted its final colour

The the mini LED's which will light the bridge were installed - You can just about see them in these pictures and I have lit one up for you  ;)   I would have lit them both but I did not have enough hands  {-)

And finally the two halves have been epoxied together after the glazing had been given a good clean!

Thats its for now but I'll probably have some more before the weeks out - Mark

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »

Happy new year Mark .
You are making good progress , things looking good . I have turned mine round and started to detail the port side . The weather up here is somewhat anti social at the moment , paint and glue taking sometime to harden of so just have to take my time . I will take some more pictures and stick them on Mayhem face page . It's a shoot day tomorrow + Hogmanay so there will be party action . Have a good new year.
David .
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: December 30, 2015, 04:13:58 pm »

Happy new year to you too David  :-)   What with the weather and your new year shoot remember to keep your head down!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »

Happy New Year you two ( Mark & David ) you have done the Fairmount Alpine Proud. I have finally started mine after having it for over two & a half years. Health issues got in the way . I can see I will learn a lot from both your builds. Again thank you for sharing, it will be a great help. Mick B.
Mick B.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »

Happy new year Mick - Glad your building again now hurry up and get some photos on the forum  %%   Seriously though if I can be of any help just let me know!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »

Well I must be honest - My sequence of construction has caused me a few problems.  Joining the bridge to the superstructure proved to be troublesome.  Although I did my best to make sure that it all lined up, in reality it was very difficult to get it all to fit back correctly together.  I ended up filling the joint about 4 times including all of the necessary painting and its still not quite right.  I reached the point where I had to say - well its as good as its going to be!

However moving forward I filled and smoothed the joints underneath the bridge

And then fitted the rear deck lights which I used 12v micro led's

Then it was the start of the detailing - lots of small pieces that needed to be prep'd for paint

Which I primed before fitting to the superstructure

Then after much sanding etc - It was another epic masking up job

I then painted the superstructure ford diamond white which has come out ok  ;)

The front deck light has also been fitted but for some reason I forgot to take photo's  :embarrassed:
More to come soon thanks for looking - Mark

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2016, 04:38:37 pm »

Its no fun all that masking but worth it for the finish you can get with spray paint. In retrospect I should really have done this with my superstructure on the Venture, I am not happy with the brush finish achieved with the Humbrol enamels.

For a true white colour in a spray can the best you can get is Halfords, Appliance White (for kitchen applicances). Most white's for cars are tinted or off white, that is why they give them names like arctic white etc. It can be found in the same section in the shops.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »

Hi Mark , your are getting there it's time like that when we need another arm ,it's no consalation but I had a bit of a job doing the same , have you done your cranes yet .  I am on with the port one ,it's all together just have to glue it to the slew ring  ,if you have not done this stage yet ,the screw that holds the top part to the bottom disk that is glued to the dowel fowls the inside of the bottom part of the crane so it will not fit into the slots a fair bit of wood has to be removed , I did not find this out until I tried to glue the crane to the slew ring ,it would be easier to do before the bottom part of the crane is assembled, I found a pan head screw best it lets the crane turn , when I tried a countersunk screw and it was tightend enough it let the crane turn but it wobbled to much ,also when the 3 cylinders are glued to the slew ring I did not get enough clearance so the crane would not turn360° ,thy fowled on the fixed disc  , If you have done the cranes all this is irrelivent but might help some one else , . At -7° it's to cold to sit in the shed .

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »

Hi Brian - I have to spray as I am completely useless with a brush  {:-{   I even spray all of the small pieces as its the only way I can get any kind of presentable finish.  I tend to waste an awful lot of paint doing it this way buts its all I know.

Hi David - I've not yet started the cranes and I think that they will be one of my last jobs.  Thanks for the advice though it may save me a lot of trouble.  My next jobs are to paint the lower deck of the superstructure and the fit the fire monitors and there control servo.  Then its working on the detailing until its finished. 

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2016, 03:48:23 pm »

Time for an update!

Firstly I finished painting the decks after having painted all of the white on the superstructure.  It was the usual procedure of masking and painting

The results are actually quite subtle but I do like the way they turned out

Next was to fit the bridge floor which was a simple job but I still have to paint it.  I have fixed this in with screws so that I can remove it when ever I need too.

Then it was onto finishing the fire monitors.  I coated the bottom of the tubes with black marker so that I could get a good alignment through the bridge floor.

After drilling the holes for the tubes I fitted the servo and linkages that will give the monitors movement.  Its a very simple system but it works a treat.  I will use very tight silicon tubing secured with tie wraps to connect the tubing to the pump.

Then I fitted the railings that I had made much earlier.  They did fit quite well but I managed to get a fair bit of cyano in all of the wrong places and also chipped quite a few parts doing this.  Oh well just more things to sort out  %%

Next I fitted the big winch that I had also made much earlier

Now for the bit I have been waiting ages for - What does it look like on the hull  O0

I've still got loads to do and I really need to tidy up what I've done so far before I move on any further.  I've also got quite a bit of decorating to do at home over the coming weeks so I'll update this thread as and when I can.  Thanks for looking - Mark  :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »

It's coming together well things look good , I've just been going through the build book to check where am and it would appear that I have managed to get every thing glued on ,only the decals left in the build box so a bit of a land mark , good luck with the decorating ,if you do that like the ship it will be ok . My next  job  will be  to trim and set up the controls , but like you I will have to be among firewood , but the snow might put paid to that, and it's the last day of shooting tomorow so that will  be the shoot dinner and party  .
David

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2016, 11:39:22 am »

Hi Mark great build . Just wondering what size of kort nozzles you used for this as I'm thinking of ordering the same ones for mine as I agree the originals are too flimsy and don't trust myself making the rudders  {:-{

Thanks

Graeme

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »

Hi Graeme - I used 55mm nozzles. They take some fitting but well worth the effort.  I'm hoping to get back onto my build quite soon and get it finished. I've just been too busy with the family to get anything done

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:16 pm »

Thank you . Definitely going to order same as look a lot better . I'm just getting ready to cover hull and waiting on motors coming from component shop so been following your build all the way and yours looks great . I jus need to find my fittings pack next as I moved house and it's filed under SAFE lol . But hopefully turn up soon and I can get onto the detail work but doubt it will turn out as good as yours has

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2016, 03:31:57 pm »

Wow has it really been the best part of 10 months since I updated this build  :D  Well although I have been lurking around the forum, a lot has happened in my life during this time.  My little bit of decorating turned into 50% of our home which looks nice now that its done but how things have changed for me.  I've married my long term girlfriend who is now obviously my wife which was an amazing day but we have also become grandparents too!  Its been an amazing time but I'm also glad to say that I'm actually back to my build which I have really missed.  I thought that it would be a bit amiss of me whilst decorating not to sort out my work space - so here is my new work area  %%

Anyway back to the build.  I started by making the top deck search lights which I fitted micro LED's and also assembled the navigation lights which were also converted.  They were a little bit tricky and to be honest I used to much glue and paint on them but they look ok if you don't look to hard

Fitting the search lights to the top deck

I'll get some more pics up later - Cheers for looking and sorry about the delay but I'm back on it now and loving it  :-))   I really have been enjoying everyone else's build too!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »

Now here's a confession; I thought that I had planned my build quite well but I had not put enough thought into the wiring.  With 16 LEDS in the superstructure I had not planned on the amount of wiring that this would produce.  I have learned a hard lesson here as trying to make 32 wires look ok is a tall order and this is without the wiring that will be coming from the mast.

I have always wanted the inside to look good as well as the outside and the wiring just completely did my head in  <*<   I considered bus bars; copper tape but I could never see an easy solution so I decided to make my own conduits as best I could.  This is mess is what I started with  :o

So I started to make conduit out of styrene

And using the conduit I brought all of the wires to the front of the superstructure

Where I then brought them all together in a small box which had one outlet which simply plugs into the hull to supply the required power

I have lost count of the hours that I have put into this  :o   It really has been trial an error but I have learnt a lot for my next build.  It looks very tidy and I have run a pair of wires for the mast when I make it.  Anyway the results are better than I had hoped  :-)   Here's what the superstructure looks like all lit up

I've now got loads of remedial work to do as the wiring really has knocked the superstructure about quite a bit.  Lots of paint touch ups and general tidy ups but I'm so glad this part of the build is out of the way - thanks Mark  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:35 pm »

So, now your wiring matches your workspace - very tidy indeed. :-)

Hope to apply those "hide the wires" techniques myself, to a few upcoming planned builds. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2016, 07:37:24 am »

It seems well worth the effort Ray and I'm hoping that it will stand the test of time too. I tell you what though my soldering of resistors and fine wire has improved no end  {-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:46 am »

Hi Mark it is good to see how things are going ,good luck and best wishes.
I did not think there would be as much wiring but it mounts up .I must admit I have not been on my build for some time .I reduced the neutral by running a copper strip round the inside edge ,then soldered the neutral wire to that ,still not as tidy as I would like, yours is looking good.
David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:52 am »

Hi David good to hear from you. I did consider using copper tape but I was worried about heating it up to much and then affecting the finished paint on the outside  {:-{   I think when I make the mast I will choose a light sequence and use that rather than trying to put all of the lights on it. I think putting them all on would be a step to far for me

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »

I've been getting on with the small details this week and I started with the exhausts which required cutting and soldering.  I really wanted to get them all exactly the same so I made a cutting guide and a simple jig to solder them all together.  I think that they came out ok

And painted ready to be fitted  :-))

I then made what I think must be something to do with the radar?  A pressure vessel, pipework and a few other sundries and gave them a coat of paint

And now for the hardest part that I have had to make for this entire build.  I have lost count of the number of attempts it took to get this anywhere near right.  This part really tested me and my patience and to make things worse I had to make two of them  <*<   They are made of 8 pieces of 0.75mm brass wire and I've put a penny next to it to show the scale.  After having made the two of them I then discovered that the 1:1 drawing on the plans was wrong  >>:-(   as they were too short.  Rather than make them again I simply extended them slightly.  The sharp eyed of you will notice that there is one leg missing off of one of them.  Its just going to have to stay that way  O0

But they fit really well and I can't help but feel that the hours that I put into these two parts was worth the effort.  I reckon that getting to these two finished versions I spent about 12 hours on them!

With some etch primer on

Next to do will be the superstructure stairs, lifeboats and lots and lots of pipework.  I'm not going to assemble it until all of the parts are made.  Thanks for looking Mark  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: October 29, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »

Good to see you're still at it Mark - nice clean work there.

I can well appreciate the frustration with those last bits of soldering - similar situation for me when trying to make ladder for my Smit Nederland. However it all comes good in the end. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2016, 05:31:08 pm »

Hi  Mark
Sorry I should have told you about the 1:1 drawing being wrong I found out like you the hard way .The dome thingy is the Furuno Sat phone I have been playing around trying to make a transfer for mine and also the name to go on the radar scanner . I thin I will have to be in touch with a chap called Dave Lethley  I meet in with him at Warwick last year to see if he can make them . I tried to get the right type face and tried to get them of there marketing leaflets but could not get them small enough .
Have you started the dummy pipe work up to the fire monitors yet getting the angles take some working out .
As always things are looking good
David

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2016, 08:15:14 pm »

Hi Mark
looking realy good. Have you considered using solder past. I use this on hand rail . make life so much easier . I would not use it on structural parts.

john
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.692 seconds with 22 queries.