Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156257 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build - Completed
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »

So how does it look - Here are the pictures

And its had its first dip in the water too  :-)   I needs 2lb 8oz of weight in the stern and just a tad in the bow.  It sat amazingly straight with just the batteries fitted

Here are the batteries fitted and the wiring completed.  I did have to move it a little bit but not much.  My guestimates were quite accurate which surprised me

The on/off switch

So whats left to do - well nothing really as the kit is now complete I just need to fit the rigging.  I'm now going to fit the receiver and try and sort out the controls which I think will take the most of next weekend. Other than that its done.  This build has been just over three years of part time work  but I'm really pleased with the results.  I know that I've still a few things to sort out but its as good as done.  I really can't thank everyone on the forum who has helped, cajoled, encouraged and contributed to this build - Thank you to you all  :-)   I could not have completed this on my own.  I will post up some pictures of it in motion but now I need to join a club to get sailing.  This will be an issue for me as I'm a truck driver which means I spend a lot of time on my own.  It always takes me time to get to know people and some times people see this as me being a bit off.  However I'm going to give it a go, I just need to find out where my local club is and hope that they can fit me in somehow.  Thanks everyone  - Mark  :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2017, 06:06:33 pm »

Hi Mark
you have done a really nice job on her . Nice size boat too

john

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #377 on: January 29, 2017, 06:45:41 pm »

It looks beautiful Mark!  A model you should be very proud of.  What is the final weight of the model?

Sylvain

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #378 on: January 29, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »

She is a dazzler Mark! I like your tidy wiring as well, an inspiration to those who want to de grannie's knittingise theirs.

Pond weed is your enemy

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2017, 12:18:03 am »

Hi Mark, from your profile your in the West Midlands, have a look on the club list and see if there is a local one, you might be surprised who is a member, could be a neighbour, also most clubs have open sailing for members, join on line and go sailing when the lake is free, (no embarrassment when you test sail your Fairmount in public,) it will play up till your used to it)

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2017, 06:14:59 am »

She looks absolutely stunning,  and now I'll go home and tidy up the electronics in my boat!
Looking forward to seeing her on the water.
Hama

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:32 am »

Well done Mark ,looks good . The three years have passed fairly quick .it does not seem that long since we started to correspond . What do you think about a meet at Balne Moor some time for a sail. I will have to finish mine off first .
David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2017, 08:45:09 am »

Thanks for the nice comments I need to order some lead shot and it seems that scuba divers use it and it's quite reasonable on eBay

David it really would be good to meet up when you have finished your build.  I reckon that we could get some good shots

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2017, 01:26:15 pm »

Hi Mark
Have a look for shotgun shot No7 or No8 Bush Ware is a site but there should be some on nearer ,it is used to load your own cartridge.
I will have a trail round theWWW o se what I can find .Just found a site but can not make it link ,it is Folkestone  Engineering Supplies tel No 01303 894611 there web site list it for model boats , if you ring the and ask if thy have any spillage that might work , good luck 
David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

Thanks David what a find  :-))   I think that they are the cheapest on the internet. I'm calling them in the morning!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2017, 11:05:22 am »

First class outcome Mark. She really does look good. Testament to your attention to detail and taking your time to do the job properly. Certainly going to be a crowd puller on the pond mate......
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:11 pm »

First class outcome Mark. She really does look good. Testament to your attention to detail and taking your time to do the job properly. Certainly going to be a crowd puller on the pond mate......

Ta Stew I too think it will look good on the water;  I mean look at those colours  {-)    My wife reckons that I should take it to a show!

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »

Mark, the first show is close to you, Ellesmere port show begining of March, they sail in the canal basin inside the show, loads of traders etc, would be great to see you after all these months of work.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »

I've never been to a boat show but I was going to start this year.  I could really be interested in this what are the dates?  Do many people from the forum go as it would be nice to faces to names

Stavros

« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »

Then of course you have the Coalville show April1/2 which is probably nearer to you

Dave

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »

Then of course you have the Coalville show April1/2 which is probably nearer to you

Dave

Hi Dave I was already coming to this one  :-))   My firm is based near Coalville so its was a given that we (yep the wife is coming) were going.  I'm really looking forward to it.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2017, 11:00:05 pm »

Hi mark, the dates for Ellesmere Port are 4 - 5 March, with a bit of luck Stavros will have his mighty TID, at least sea worthy

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #392 on: February 05, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »

Well the bad news after having checked with the wife is that we can't make the Ellesmere show as we have a birthday weekend planned with friends so thats a no go.  Sorry Mark it would of been great to come and meet up I'll have to make it another time.

Dave do you want me to bring my boat with me when we come to Coalville?  We will be there on the Saturday?

Stavros

« Reply #393 on: February 05, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »

pm Sent

Dave

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #394 on: February 12, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »

Well I'm another step closer to getting this boat onto the water - honestly I cannot wait  :-)

So having solved my binding problems between transmitter and receiver all of the rest of the electric trickery has gone very well.  Everything works as it should and I must say that Action electronics are just simply great!  I remember talking to Inertia about this probably a couple of years ago and I am so happy that I went with their products.  They do exactly what it says on the tin  :-))   I know that most of you already know this but this is all new to me.  Also programming the Spectrum DX10 is simplicity itself;  the menu format is very intuitive.  So where are we

The receiver installed and mounted

The fire monitor outlet pipe and "Y" piece installed to go to the two monitors.  I was really surprised just how much water this little pump kicks out.  I completely soaked the wife  {-)

Then it was onto the ballast.  David48 once again my friend thanks for the tip regarding folkestone engineering.  They delivered 2kg of 2mm lead shot for £11;  I can live with that.  The problem I has then was how to install the lead shot?  I did a quick search on the forum and a great idea from derekwarner_decoy solved my problem.  I weighed out the lead into some clingfilm and then poured some epoxy resin on top.  I massaged the now clingfilm bag and simply pushed it into place.  Once set it comes out as a block.  What a simple fantastic idea!

And then I did the same at the bow and she now sits nicely in the water.  I've put the stern down just a tad so that she can grab the water better.

Now I always said that I wanted the inside to look as good as the outside so I couldn't have this ugly looking lead just sitting there  {-)   So I made a little shelf that hides everything and also makes a nice place to fix the satellite aerials.

So today I've painted the wheelhouse floor which needs to be screwed in place and also repainted the rear deck tie downs as they have had some abuse since I originally painted them.  I still need to repair the main mast  <*<  but hey ho these things are sent to try us.  When its finished I'll try and work out how to put a video on the forum so that you can see it running.  The motors are quieter than I thought that they would be but the bow thruster isn't really that powerful.  It maybe because it was in the bath I just don't know.  However when its all lit up - WOW!

Thanks for looking Mark

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #395 on: February 12, 2017, 09:22:12 pm »

Well done Mark ,I am pleased that the lead shot worked ,what weight did you finish up with . Not been back to my build yet ,should have made a smaller shed so I can heat it but hey ho .but will get to it when its a bit warmer .
David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:17 pm »

Well Mart T....this is quite a tidy installation :-)) ......I like the woven black wiring outer sheathing......is it woven glass or cotton?

Just an idea for your water connections.......similar tubed connections  >>:-( have been known to leak

The Du-Bro people manufacture inexpensive split O clips......could well be utilised & cheap insurance on the pump suction, the pump itself, the Y tube connections, & the monitor connections......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2017, 09:35:44 am »

David I'm not sure about the all up weight as I do not have anything to weigh it on.  Its quite heavy though and I used all of the 2kg of lead shot.  I'm now glad that we both used 2 large batteries as ironically they are cheaper than the lead itself if you get a good deal.

Derek thanks for the tip regarding the clips I'll get some on order.  What I could do with is some kind of quick release or easy release joiner on that pipe as it has to be uncoupled to take the superstructure of so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. 

As for the black braiding its polyethylene and comes in all different sizes its very good stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Braided-Sleeving-Braid-Cable-Wiring-Harness-Loom-Protection-Black-/321559416107?var=&hash=item4ade6f4d2b:m:mJBijooYdWCK2bALRvQ-EBw

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »

One way screenwasher valves for cars. You can disconnect them without losing the head of water when disconnected.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »

That's it now I've completely finished my build even the small detail  %%

I painted and secured the wheelhouse floor; reinstalled the fire monitor steering linkage and also connected the pipework for the monitors.

Then I had to straighten and sort out my bent main mast.  Its actually worked out ok I'm glad to say but I've had to make the whole thing 5mm shorter.  It doesn't notice  {-)   I also put the rigging on

So a few pictures of the finished boat all lit up  :-))   I'm very pleased the way it looks.  I do wish though that I had put a few floor LED's along the rear deck.

So then it was back to the bath just to test everything again.  I've now set the main motor mixer so that the inboard motor slows slightly when turning.  It has plenty of drive; in fact I manage to dig the stern so deep into the water the rear deck became completely flooded and nicely only a little water got in.  Thats before I've applied vaseline to the coaming so its looking promising

And the bow thruster working which seemed to be air locked for a while???

And a couple of very bad pictures of the fire monitors working.  Well actually one of them working as I discovered that the other was blocked with epoxy which I have since cured.  Crickey they really shoot out some water - maybe a little to much

So that's it - its all done.  Thanks to everyone who as helped me along the way as I could not have done this on my own.  I'll be taking it to the Coalville boat show on the Saturday so hopefully I'll meet some of you and put faces to names.  I've now got loads of decorating to get on with before starting my next build which is going to be a Mantua Anteo Tug - I can't wait!  All I can say is wow what an adventure that was  O0

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.