Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156278 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #400 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »

Not finished - you are missing two hall anchors {-) {-) But it does look good on water. A good  rule of thumb for the fire monitors is that in real life they will throw a jet of water the equivalent length of the ship ( allowing it to standoff any fire) So yours don't look too far out of scale at all.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:53 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-)   Funnily enough I did think about fitting anchors but it never happened.  Maybe something to do when she has her first refit!  I'll see how far the monitors fire when I get it on the pond and I'll tame them down if I have too.  The steering system on them works well but was it worth it; no probably not but it was fun making it  O0

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #402 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Stunning Mark, you can be very proud of your build.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: February 15, 2017, 12:25:31 am »

Congrats Mark you have done a great job , Brian comment about anchors I do not think you can see them on the real ship any pictures I have looked at I could not notice any the that's why I have not put them on mine, I could be wrong . Well done again .
David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: February 15, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »

I've had a trawl around, from what I can see, its not a Hall anchor but a standard stockless type. On the viewing front it is mostly hidden from view, all that can be seen is the lower part of the anchor as per photo. Having said that looking up into the pocket/recess on the real ship you would always see the anchor and for that reason I would be tempted to put them in there, if only because as I did, somebody is going to remark on it once you start sailing...

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:41 am »

Thanks Brian I have not found that photo ,the angle it was taken on the pictures did not show up . I think it will be of a chore to try and retro fit , I will have a look see.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2017, 05:59:27 pm »

Really nice work Mark!  It looks powerful in the bathtub!

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »

A superb build you have accomplished there!
the electronics installation is amazingly well organised. With the lights on, she looks simply great.
I really wish I could have been there to see her sail on Saturday (sigh). - It's a long way from Finland.
Looking forward to a video...
regards, Hande
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:08 am »

I forgot to post this link Mark. None of the Fairmount ships involved, but it does give an idea of how far off (or how close) these ships can get to a production platform fire....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtulQvMmjg&t=73s

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:03 pm »

Wow that's impressive- pretty brave too by the looks of things. Cheers Brian that's very interesting to see and also thanks to everyone for the nice comments

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #410 on: March 08, 2017, 07:26:36 pm »

I know some with obviously professional knowledge of these vessels have dipped into here previously, I have a reasonable knowledge of them but wondering please if anyone has an answer to a question!

I am dubious about the fitting that goes on the shaped frame at the bulkhead in way of the winch house. It is two triangular end pieces with brass wire in between and a brass roller about the size of a 1p. The opening it is below is where the tow/anchor handling wires emerge from and I imagine would last five minutes with a large tow behind causing the wire to range across the opening, it is why they are faired as they are.

I wondered if it is a removable device for spooling on new wires/ropes but I know the winch themselves have spooling devices.

More importantly, having seen numerous of these ships myself and studying photos of the Fairmount series can not find any such device. Having said all that I can't imagine they 'made it up' so am intrigued to know what it is ... anyone help?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »

Hi here's a picture of it on the actual vessel but I'm not sure if that helps you or not

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1705171

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #412 on: March 08, 2017, 08:30:15 pm »

Ah, yes thank you Mark. It appears to be a 'gypsy' type chain lifter.
Peter
PS -can I add my own  :-))  to your own model, it is superb. You set the benchmark for my own efforts but I have fallen short! I am finding the standard of quality is directly related to the time you can spend on it and unfortunately my 'facilities' are not conjusive to an extended time in build! Having said that I am content with how it is going.

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #413 on: March 08, 2017, 08:42:58 pm »

Just to add to the last, I have had a rummage around Google images at the vessels and see that some have the roller and some don't ... or perhaps we're fitted/removed at various stages in their life so will have to make sure the name I choose has it or not!

To add to the confusion I found a pic of one where one of the cranes is quite different to the other, longer and bigger, I guess the best rule is to build it to the spec when it was launched, as we know the branding logos have changed also over time.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:55 am »

Hi Peter the cranes on the Alpine are different lengths and they do look quite different so your pictures are correct

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #415 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:01 pm »

Mark, I have spent a good few days visiting your build and I have to say what a superb thread and a fascinating build.

Hopefully an inspiration too for some or all! This, to me is the sort of thing that could and would get younger modellers into the hobby. Seeing what can be achieved with a bit of patience and research.  :-))  Great build Mark.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2017, 08:37:39 am »

Thanks Adam; I've still not managed to put it on the water yet due to a lack spare time.  I'm really looking forward to starting a new build probably in May.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2018, 03:32:48 pm »

Hi All

As you know the great photobucket rip off damaged threads on this and many other forums.  So to try and put things slightly right all 683 photos of this build have now been up loaded to the MBM image server and can be found here

http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/bXv

I hope that some people find this link and photos helpful

Mark

Champdriver

• Shipmate
« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2023, 03:07:53 pm »

Hello Mark

I have been perusing this thread with a fine toothed comb as it is an absolute gold mine of information. Your build of the Fairmount Alpine is second to none (in short very nice build as are all of your other builds). I have just pulled the trigger on this kit and am amassing all the bits and pieces to go with it this will be my second build as my first was a billing’s Bankert that turned out nicely. The one question that I have for now (you knew that was coming) is the size of wiring you used on your ACTion electric parts. ACTion says the largest gauge wire that can be used on the P107 and P94 are 12awg, is this what you used? or did you go a little lighter say 14awg or 16awg for easier work ability. You probably didn’t think that this thread would come back 5 years after your last post to haunt you but unfortunately all good things are timeless and this build fits that criteria.

Cheers,

Michael

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2023, 06:11:24 pm »

Hi Micheal

Apologies for the very late reply but I do not get forum notifications anymore so I have to stumble across things.

To answer your question - this ship only needs small motors as if you sail it to fast it will just dig in and take on water. It’s a scale ship and really lovely to build.

I can’t actually remember what size wire I used but there is no need to go overboard with the gauge. If you use standard geared motors you will never pull a whole load of current.

I would suggest using 2 lead acid batteries though as this ship requires a lot of ballast. Two batteries will last you all day and then some. It just saves putting loads of separate ballast into the hull.

Really good luck with your build - I loved making mine.

If you need any help just drop me a PM 👍
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.