Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Gun Monitors  (Read 3893 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Big Gun Monitors
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:02:48 pm »

WOW what a fabulous book!

I saw it mentioned on the forum several times and at the weekend, I decided to order it from 'Wordery'. Books On Line seem to have dissapeared or were gollupped up by a larger concern, so it is good to see another book company out there challenging the Big'ns.

Anyhow, for anyone wanting to build a Royal Navy Monitor, this is the bible. lavish quantities of images, most of high quality, lots of stats and also potted histories of design, construction and service. The insight into the personalities involved also raise the eyebrows!

So Nick, Lock up your Majestic, I am after a 12inch gunhouse!

Ian Buxton is to be applauded for his efforts in researching and writing this tome. Time for a coffee and a read:OD
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Big Gun Monitors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:11:39 pm »

Hi Ian

I love reading the monitor book, if you look at the Nurnburg show pictures by Ron Dean you'll be able to see one of Rons latest projects- the river monitor HMS Humber.

Which one are you planning? The early ones are so clean looking compared to the WW2 built ones.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:18 pm »

Good question. I intend to build one of the 12inch gun monitors but they all attract me in that 'Ugly is fun' kind of way. I would like to build HMS Prince Rupert or one with four 6inch guns just to provide some more deck clutter. It gives me a few more guns to master. I have designed a 4inch MkIX in 1:96th for the destroyer but a HA 3pounder and 6inch would be fun as well.

I heard from Jonathan at Dean's some time back saying that they were developing a small monitor such as M15, so their decision to do HMS Humber (Probably is M15!!) is a good one. If you have a spare Majestic class turret, or fancy lending one of yours (:O) for the build................... :}

I have a plan of the Short 184, so I might build HMS Craufurd; ooh the choices.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:31:45 pm »

M15 was a small monitor built after HMS Humber and armed with a 9.2 inch gun.

HMS M33, armed with two 6 inch guns, is currently being restored at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

Both of these vessels will be featured in the coming Special Issue of Model Boats on sale at the end of April.

Ron Dean has indicated that they might bring out another small monitor at some point. In the meantime, if you like the bigger monitors then MyHobbyStore have a plan of HMS Marshal Soult drawn by Dave Metcalfe.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:37:16 pm »

Good question. I intend to build one of the 12inch gun monitors but they all attract me in that 'Ugly is fun' kind of way. I would like to build HMS Prince Rupert or one with four 6inch guns just to provide some more deck clutter. It gives me a few more guns to master. I have designed a 4inch MkIX in 1:96th for the destroyer but a HA 3pounder and 6inch would be fun as well.

I heard from Jonathan at Dean's some time back saying that they were developing a small monitor such as M15, so their decision to do HMS Humber (Probably is M15!!) is a good one. If you have a spare Majestic class turret, or fancy lending one of yours (:O) for the build................... :}

I have a plan of the Short 184, so I might build HMS Craufurd; ooh the choices.

I would certainly follow that build with great interest.  I love unusual warships !
I have seen the prototype HMS Humber monitor at Deans Marine, and it does look very good.

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »

I will have a look.

I have a set of plans for Marshall Soult coming from Model Boats which just need to be reduced in width to create the basis for the 12inch gun monitors.

Pond weed is your enemy

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »

Paper Shipwright does good 1/250th waterline card models of M15 and M33 which could be scaled up for a scratch build

http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/category/warships/world-war-1-warships/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:43:22 pm »

Definitly an avenue I want to explore as there are a few ships that are done in Card that I would like to scale up to 1:96th. It is very considerate of the Ninteenth century navies to build ships that scale out at around four feet!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.