Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matchstick modeller Concorde  (Read 6570 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Matchstick modeller Concorde
« on: November 29, 2014, 09:31:13 am »

Matchstick modeller spends two years creating Concorde:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-30247759
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Matchstick modeller Concorde
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:30:31 am »

Matchstick modeller spends two years creating Concorde:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-30247759

Cor... strike a light.

What glue would be used for this type of build.  My wood glue takes hours to set, but you would need something that gripped within a minute or two for this kind of project.

ken

(owner of large bag of matchsticks)  %)
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:50:41 pm »

He's probably old enough to remember balsa cement.  It was the universal glue for model aeroplanes.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:46:00 pm »

Deluxe Super Phatic is the wood equivalent of superglue. Not quite so instant but pretty close. Water cleanup too. I love it!

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

Thank you for the  'heads up'  Colin.  It's nice to know that.    :-))

Cheers

ken

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:12:06 pm »

Cor... strike a light.

You would hope no one did, Ken, not with all those matchsticks nearby {-)

BTW, it's a marvellous model :-))

Peter.

fredd

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »

I use ordinary pva glue in my matchstick models.
Flat sections you can do large areas but anything with shape to it you do a smaller amount and wait for the glue to set to give a solid base for the next section - hence the usual long build time?

My model building was kits first then on to own design - like a lot of model boat builders

http://www.lightkeepersjourney.com/hobbies.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »

Can you sand PVA?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

fredd

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »

I use Evo-stik wood adhesive and it sands well
I think its pva but I could be wrong?

inertia

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »

He's probably old enough to remember balsa cement.  It was the universal glue for model aeroplanes.
Let's hear it for Seccotine! Plain lead tube; lilac-coloured paper label that always came off; brown, smelly fish-glue that never seemed to dry on the thing you wanted to stick, but it did on everything else within five feet. Mum loved it when it came to washing my shirts.........not.
You can sand PVA but there are better glues around which do the same job, dry faster and sand easier (e.g. aliphatic resin wood glue).
Hey, ho - it's shopping day today..................off we jolly well go to TesburysonsDA.  :((
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »

Very interesting read Fred!   :-))

My model building was kits first then on to own design - like a lot of model boat builders

http://www.lightkeepersjourney.com/hobbies.html

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »

Quote from: Inertia
Hey, ho - it's shopping day today..................off we jolly well go to TesburysonsDA.  :((
DM

Take the earplugs Dave, the Crimbo Muzak is in full swing  <*< <*<

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 04:23:05 pm »

Yep! First one I've heard this year - Wizzard wishing it was Christmas every day. I bet Roy Wood does - imagine the royalties on that old pot-boiler! Noddy Holder cheerfully refers to "that song" of Slade's as his pension.

At this time of year I think a little sympathy is due to those poor souls who work at supermarket checkouts and who have to listen to this dreck non-stop for eight hours at a time - eh, Bob ok2 ok2 ?

Time to leave Radio 2 switched off (until about 3rd January) and bring out the big box of old CDs to keep me amused while the glue is drying.

BTW when I was apprentice at BAC in Filton I was allowed to put two rivets in the 12"=1ft scale Concorde. I think they even left one of them in!! Matchsticks? Ha!

DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »

BTW when I was apprentice at BAC in Filton I was allowed to put two rivets in the 12"=1ft scale Concorde. I think they even left one of them in!! Matchsticks? Ha!

DM

The original Rivet Counter  %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 07:51:13 pm »

DM

Hi Dave,

I used to work in the foundry at BAC where we made the Olympus jet engine blades.

Wasn't cut out for this, so didn't stay long.   :}

Cheers

Ken

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:45 am »

Can you sand PVA?

You can sand aliphatic resin .
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 07:25:05 pm »

About 5 years ago a local man in Hampshire completed a Matchstick North Sea Oil Rig. 15 Years and 4 Million matchsticks. It weighed 1 tonne and was 21 ft. long and 12 ft. high. It stood for a while at Bursledon Brickworks. I turned up with the Hampshire Woodcarvers for our annual show and there it was - right where we expected to be. To see more Google 'matchstick oil rig' .

John

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »

End of the 60's I was working at Marshalls Airport in Cambridge building Buses and in one of the Aircraft Assembly Hangars they were building two Concorde Nose Cones, or "Droop Snoots" Security was tight but at lunchtime they went away and we took a shortcut through the Hangar and looked at the "Job in Progress" Very slow work, only about a dozen rivets a day, more like an OP room than a Workshop! It was a surprise to us that it was so small. They were mending Hercules there too, and the size contrast was stunning.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:46 pm »

I have been in the Concorde on display at Duxford, and I was also surprised how small it was. From memory I think there's only 2 seats each side of the aisle. The Duxford example never flew in revenue service, the fore section is given over to instrumentation as it was used in the testing program. Only the rear section of the fuselage is fitted with normal passenger seats.

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:25 pm »

Yes it was small and the windows were tiny, but everything flashes by at mach 1.5  :-))

A Concorde engineer once told me he was disgusted with the Airport film which showed a Phantom trying to shoot down Concorde as Concorde would have been flying faster than the bullets/shells from the Phantom. He also said the Phantom pilot would have been wearing a G suit and oxygen mast whereas the Concorde passengers could be sitting in shirtsleeves drinking champagne!
Don't Assume Check

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »

There was a story going around in Concordes heyday that if she had a 8 Minute start there was not an aircraft in the world that could catch her! I don't remember there ever was a Maximum Speed quoted for her, just a cruising Speed.All these facts added together and the matteract that the Yanks couldn't build a better one,or even one as good, caused them to put restrictions on where she could fly and such.
 The much publicised "Record" by the Blackbird disregarded the fact that it was supersonic when it crossed the coast of America as it was when it reached the coast of France. Concordes time included landing at Heathrow! Tragic that it ended as it did.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 05:34:38 pm »

The Americans goofed up from the start - we went for Mach2 which was possible with traditional plane-building techniques of the time. The Americans decided on Mach3 and so spent so much time & money developing materials and techniques & engines that they ran out of time & money - the world moved on and the 747-style of airliner won the day by shifting the self-loading cargo for the lowest seat price. Concorde only got into service because it was given / forced on BA (BOAC) and Air France by the governments to save face.

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »

It was in Service for nearly 30 years, a long time to force someone to do things!
 My brother, when he was still working was employed by an American Co based in New York, he could fly out on the morning Concorde, do his Meetings and return on the evening one and be at his desk the following day. After she was gone it was a 3 day trip, with 2 overnights in expensive Hotels. At the Money he was paid it was a good outlay!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:17 pm »

It was in Service for nearly 30 years, a long time to force someone to do things!
 My brother, when he was still working was employed by an American Co based in New York, he could fly out on the morning Concorde, do his Meetings and return on the evening one and be at his desk the following day. After she was gone it was a 3 day trip, with 2 overnights in expensive Hotels. At the Money he was paid it was a good outlay!

It was forced on them in the 70's but luckily, the financial bubble of the early 80's accidently made Concorde VERY profitable.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 04:26:13 pm »

I was taken around Concorde in the early eighties. The story went that a CEO of a large UK company after his first flight told the chief stewardess that all his execs would fly Concorde from now on. She said it was good that he thought of their comfort. He replied, comfort had nothing to do with it, because of the time saving in travel  he could an extra 7 days of work a year out of them!
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.