Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: As i was taking a Jolly Jaunt.....  (Read 30926 times)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Re: As i was taking a Jolly Jaunt.....
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 11:48:44 pm »

I know the Hebrides well it is the regular ferry from Uig on Skye across the Minches to  Loch Maddy in North Uist
and we had many a trip on it for our fishing holidays on the Outer islands.
Glad to see you are getting out and about a bit more

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2015, 03:42:51 am »

Great photos Lb!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:28 am »

LB....in image DSC_6105....we see a water side multi story building with two spires, but the water side spire has the four clock faces  :-X

Google suggests that it is not the Liverpool town hall or railway station.......so what is the building?..................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2015, 04:35:22 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:28 am »

In reply to Derek query the building is indeed the Royal Liver Building, next to this is the Cunard Building though, originally built for the white Star Line, next in line is the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board building, latterly known as the Port of Liverpool Building though, all of the offices are now situated at the north end of the dock system. The three buildings are collectively known as "The Three Graces" these days however, this is a recent romantic concoction.

The interiors of all three building are quite magnificent and display the very best of "high" Edwardian architecture. When I was but a lad, I used to wonder around each building looking at all the models that were on display. In the first class booking hall of the Cunard Building there was a superb 1/48th Bassett-Lowke  model of the Queen Mary and I often wonder what has become of it. Most of the other have ended up in the Liverpool Maritime Museum were they jealously guarded from the prying eyes of the public.

To the present: The cruise ship season got underway yesterday with the arrival of  Fed Olsen's "Black Watch", 1972,  28,670gt. She later sailed for Vigo. It has also been announced to-day that at least one Disney vessel will be arriving at Liverpool at the end of May.

LB

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:05 am »

Thanks LB.....yes it is probably universally tragic in what has happened to some of our early heritage buildings........ I remember catching the steam train from Wollongong to Sydney some 60 years ago with my Grandfather.....[52 miles in those days]....I also remember walking with him in Martin Place where the Commonwealth Bank building was the biggest & tallest building in the city ...all of five stories

Built of huge sandstone blocks with polished granite floors and internal walls.....and many bronze polished plaques........Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE4QFjAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMartin_Place%2C_Sydney&ei=jpAcVbe2JYKn8AW31ICQBQ&usg=AFQjCNFXBJnQgkZQu_M6iCqst8awv4XH2Q&bvm=bv.89744112,d.dGc
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2015, 11:38:35 pm »

I  refer once more to the Royal Liver Building. I would like to mention that clocks and watches do not have "FACES" they have DIALS, neither do they have "FINGERS" they have "HANDS"but, they do have "WINDING HOLES" in the "DIAL" so that the "WINDING KEY"can be inserted %%

A pretty grim, dank day for Easter Sunday but there was a fair amount of movement on the river which was worth recording along it was not too far away.
First into Birkenhead was the Lady Alexandra she is a medium sized bulker built in 2009.
She was followed by the RMS Lagona built in 2000 with a deadweight of 2,688 tons.
In the river and bound for Garston was the Victoria C which was completed in 2007, also inbound for Garston was the Noest; she was completed in November 1995 and is of 2,310 tons deadweight.
They were followed by the Arklow Raider bound for the Manchester Ship Canal, she was completed  in March 2007 and has a deadweight of 4,504 tons.
I also had my first real opportunity the record images of the Mersey ferry Snowdrop in her new so called camouflage scheme. Now referred to as the "Liquorice Allsorts Boat all that is now required is for "Bertie Bassett" to appear on top of the bridge and all will be complete.
I spied another interesting vessel making little headway against the tide this turned out to be a "luxury" yacht type vessel called the Sarinda. Apparently she has been in the Albert Dock for some years and was being moved to Heswall on the Dee side of the Wirral for conversion into a houseboat. I have since been recieved information that she is the former HDML 1392 and that she has a bit of history which can be perused here: http://www.hmsmedusa.org.uk/HDML_Boats_1350-1399.html
Images of a model of her can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25721684@N00/9239632070/in/set-72157632269542118
After all that excitement I wondered off to the New Brighton pond were is spied this being towed around. Apparently, it had been found on the bottom as seen here.
LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2015, 11:40:44 pm »

PT 2.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2015, 12:37:43 am »

sorry LB... >>:-(..but think you must accept either are acceptable  O0.....Derek

from the Wiki people.......Clock face
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (February 2015)

"A clock face or dial is the part of an analog clock (or watch) that displays the time through the use of a fixed-numbered dial or dials and moving hands. In its most basic form, recognized throughout the world, the periphery of the dial is numbered 1 through 12 indicating the hours in a 12-hour cycle, and a short hour hand makes two revolutions in a day. A longer minute hand makes one revolution every hour. The face may also include a seconds hand which makes one revolution per minute"
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:15 am »

Hi LB,
     Really like the photos of the Three Graces, not sure what you think but all the new buildings leave me gobsmacked as to how they got planning permission for that disaster at the end of Old Hall St that looks like someone has stuck two containers on the top. I can remember Tysons building the Atlantic Tower as it was originally called in the seventies next to St Nicholas church and at the time it was extremely modern and personally I thought out of place. I worked as a chippie on Whiteacre house which is the tower above the Echo office in Old Hall St Tysons were the Main contractor and the standard of finish to the interior was superb (1974/5 I think) with all hardwood skirtings and architraves with Sapele fire doors right through the building. They spent a fortune on the place sound insulating the concrete floors and double skinned partition walls which also had two layers of plasterboard both sides. The building was for Mersyside County Council which I believe lasted only a few years but don't quote me, the main man of which was quite short in height I got the job of building a raised floor in the corner of his office so that when he sat at his desk (19th floor if I remember rightly) he could lok out up the river without standing. I would like to know what it looks like inside now, when you pass the building it looks deserted.
      Keep the photos coming, the tide doesn't come in close enough for ships here in Southport.
           Cheers, Peter. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »

Lots of JJ's have take place of course but however, the time required to sort and adjust images is very time consuming and the files are big, 149MB in most cases so the point came when I had to double the memory to 16gig the processor is will have to be uprated in the near future as well so, basically, that means an uprated PC will have to be built.

People may also recall in another thread, that I was contemplating restoring my 1972 TR6. Well. I applied to Liverpool Community Collage for a place on the course and I have been accepted and I will going to see them and the workshops tomorrow evening.; so hopefully work will begin in the Autumn.

In the meantime we had a visit from some warships the other week and two berthed on the landing stage viz: USS Vicksburg and the Turk TGS Goksu. I've also been doing experimenting so here are the results of the USS Vicksburg sailing:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »

LB...Goggle does not locate "the Turk TGS Goksu" as an FFG.......but only an older vessel.....the vessel tied up along side is an FFG...so is that the TGS Goksu?..... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2015, 10:53:41 am »

TGS Goksu was formally the USS Estocin (FFG-15). She was handed over to the Turks in 2003.

LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2015, 11:18:22 am »

Some of the TGS Goksu (F497) getting underway.

She had arrived wearing this flag, which just happened to be ANZAC day, make of that what you will, and sailed doing the same thing a few days later.
Apart from that there is nothing much to report at present except that it's a nice sunny and clear spring day and sanity has prevailed. Now I must get on and sort out some image's for a certain editor who wants half a dozen set's of images for his gallery in his mag.

P.S. As you can see I've do some experimenting.

LB
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.