Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Story ( a pilot boat )  (Read 30442 times)

Mike0001

Beginners Story ( a pilot boat )
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:59:21 pm »

46 year old, never built a model boat ever.

8 weeks of no work due to chest pain, high blood pressure.

So doctor says eat better,exercise and take up a new hobby to get more fresh air.

so I decided to look for  model boats and found this site.

So anyway went to International boat show and got talking to traplet stand people who recommended the pilot boat and if you get on with that one the gentlemans runabout to learn planking .

So my first week or two are here....... Now please  clueless with boats and I know I will have made errors and some sloppy glue technique but we all started some where. so please give tips and say what I could have done better , negative comments I can take in a constructive manner.

So Traplet Pilot build  comes in flat pack with no instructions apart from a styrene sheet model ( optional cost )..... would I recommend this plan..... well not really, my advice get a copy of this magazine...  I could maybe scan it  if breaks no copyright issues

In the box you get.....

Boat, stand ,wooden radio box.

Mike0001

Re: Beginners Story ( a pilot boat )
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »

Started boat by fitting frames to keel

scrap wood underneath . decided to just use blue bottled wood glue

Mike0001

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »

while that set joined up the deck ..... I used cling film underneath but tip in magazine was baking paper ( parchment paper )

I then put the deck on but I think what order you do it is personal choice, deck bottom and sides.

way I am doing is deck first, then bottoms, then sides ....... might not be the right way but its my way  :-))

used weights ( What I could find to keep flat while deck dried )

Mike0001

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »

putting bottoms on as a beginner was tricky, I started at the back and used tape to hold in while glue dried, I did not do the front enduntil glue dried at back end.

front end was then pulled round held in with tape and a clamp while it set

sure there will be a better way here from you guys

clamped at end, bottoms of boats going on, part that keeps popping off  {-)

Mike0001

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »

hope your enjoying my little story, this site has some great info and still reading up on some great tips

sides now going on, in the mag they say use the stitch technique so that will be done in next few days, this is to hold the sides at front end of boat, going to drill some holes in the deck and sides and give this a go later in week, pics will no doubt show me messing it up but its all learning

sides half way glued now setting   

Mike0001

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:45 pm »

so while I pop up courage to do them sides thought I would have a go at the deck stand

two sides and 3 frames, one is door

all seemed to slot together nicely........

Meant to say at start to sand or  gently file off the burn marks ( laser cut ) if you don't they are very very tight fitting parts, once sanded they fit very nicely

Mike0001

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »

then put in some supports for the main platform of deck to sit on

starting to look a bit pilot boat ish  :-)

Mike0001

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:38 pm »

put on the cabin you can see supports here better, only little 3mm ply

put on windows and the roof

on the deck cover it does camber to sides, again I used what I had to weigh it down while glue dries

windows I did at a slight angle on purpose I think it looks better than straight but personal choice

have a question about sanding sealer, where to purchase , any brands recommended? do I thin it with thinners, and what grade paper to sand it with

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »

Are you going to use halfords rattle cans to paint this boat...if you are then simply apply some of the Halfords car lacquer....apply a couple of coats let it dry ,rub down lightly with 180 grit and recoat do it a couple of times then simply apply some primer filler and away you go

Dave

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »

Nice build, looking great  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

Mike0001

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:44 pm »

Are you going to use halfords rattle cans to pain this boat...if you are then simply apply some of the Halfords car laquer....apply a couple of coats let it dry ,rub down lightly with 180 grit and reacoat do it a couple of times then simply apply some primer filler and away you go

Dave

sounds easy so no need for seal sander then ...... take it the lacquer seals it ?

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »

yes it does

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:30:34 pm »

yes it does

Dave

Also sticking with the same brand paints reduces the chance of them reacting with each other
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »

Couldnt have put it any better myself

Dave

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 01:15:45 am »

Mike0001,

My build sequence is much the same as yours. I faced the same question concerning the sides and bottoms, and decided on a hot-water soak (5 minutes in very hot water, for the forward 250mm of each part), then bending by hand. It worked, but I needed a few attempts to get the pieces into their final shapes.

I have decided to leave the sides off for now, and I will install the rudder, servo, shaft and motor while the sides are still open - room for my fat, clumsy fingers!

Tom

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 01:45:18 am »

Mike,
you are doing well for your first attempt,most important you are doing it!
Well done and hope the hobby? keeps you interested. Tip for your blood pressure...if things start to go wrong walk away and leave it.Come back a little later and its surprising what a difference it makes.
keep it up Matey,(the boat building that is!)
Mick F

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:41 am »

I heartily agree with Mick F, when, and not if you start making a mess of a certain part of the build walk away, it is usually easier when you return to it. Also I find it useful to build sections in my head first and imagine future problems and cures before they arise.
Your pilot boat is looking good and especially as a first attempt, remember if you are going to paint it then P38 carefully applied and well sanded will cover a multitude of sins and if you do it right never will be spotted.
Keep it up it is a great hobby and the guys on 'Mayhem' are always willing to help and between they know most if not all of the wheezes.
Chris G   

Mike0001

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »

thanks for comments

decided to have a go at one side with the stitch technique, seemed to work ok

not glue on top my little workshop had condensation and a few drops fell on it

hope when I do the other side it meets but if not  as above filler is my friend

seem to have a section where it overlaps though , do I have to put anything over this ?

will try and get a picture, but basically where the side meets the bottom and almost if towards the front of boat it overlaps ? exactly the same on both sides so must be right

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »

Lookin' good  :-)) . Welcome to the forum.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Mike0001

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 09:40:00 pm »

thanks and what a great site it is

so this being my first model its a bit rough and applied some filler to fill a few gaps..... nothing massive 1 mm perhaps 1.5 in small places

so filling with car body filler what is best way to make sure its totally invisible ?  used to mess around with minis when I was a teenager filling in holes and can remember using wet and dry is it same technique for wood.... start off rough and then work your way down to a smoother grade ?

have took notice of Stavros comment on laquer filler primer and primer and topcoat to waterproof but want to make sure of decent finish before paint

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »

Easy Light filler rub down DRY then laquer and follow what I have said....DONT bother with P38 filler OLD HAT !#

Dave

Mike0001

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 08:31:00 pm »

already used p38 but next build the gentlemans runabout will not use

little update, filled some corners, looks a lot more in pics but in reality its hardly any I wanted a sloping effect to the bow and used filler

in magazine they have something round the entire boat..... almost like a bumper all the way round...... some one tell me what to use ?

also going to do the boat, orange white and black

also how easy to make railings for top of main cabin and front of boat and what to use to make it please ?

last photo clear laquered main cabin, sanded with 180 as Stavros suggested plus 1 more coat getting there ( thanks for tip )

hoping to paint over weekend

orange cabin with  hull half white and black and main deck grey ?   sound ok ?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

in magazine they have something round the entire boat..... almost like a bumper all the way round...... some one tell me what to use ?

Easiest to fit is Neoprene half round cord from this site - scroll down. http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1

Barrie

Mike0001

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »

thanks barrie

one more question though, take it this will be one of last items to be put on the boat, what adhesive will bond that material to the painted boat ?

:-))

plug

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 09:36:15 pm »

Looks good, been watching this one, for the rails i'm going to use brass rod just because thats what i feel comfortable working with

regards Jack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.