Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Story ( a pilot boat )  (Read 30441 times)

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
Re: Beginners Story ( a pilot boat )
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »

hi does this help

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:43 pm »

hi do my two pictuers help with what you want position of rudder and prop  shaft

david

Mike0001

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »

hi

yes, but what I cant quite see is where to mount the 3 pieces of wood I have in kit for rudder mount ?

as per reply above joined together with the hole towards the front ?

Mike0001

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »

hoping this is correct

plug

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:02 pm »

Mike, when I get that far with mine I will make a box section with the three pieces. hole at the top towards the front of the boat, two side pieces coming down glued to the bottom and back of the boat but be careful the side pieces are tapered, I think to suit the transom, hope that helps if not i'll try to get a picture on tomorrow

regards Jack.

plug

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »

pictures, i hope

Mike0001

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2015, 10:20:23 am »

thanks i was miles off.

So I take it fits tight against transom, and 3 little cutouts needed

Lastly I could use the middle part ( part with hole ) as guide on underside of hull  on where to drill the hole for the rudder

thanks again , a real big help

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:59 am »

hi
the hole is 30 mm from back bulk head coming forward. I used a piece of balsa cut to shape of hull. hope this helps

plug

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »

Mike the only reason I've marked the cutouts is because I used some strengthening pieces of timber along the joints

Jack.

Mike0001

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 04:38:49 pm »

so there are different ways to mount the rudder pieces

either flat or in the upside down u ( best way I can think to describe ) plug/jacks way

plug

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 05:47:56 pm »

Have a look at the picture Mike, it's a side view of the upside down u as you call it, it's just a support for the top of the rudder tube

Jack

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »

Hi guys,
      You are both doing really well for your first boats keep it going. My first boat was a Trawler "Endeavour" bought as a rebuild and boy did I have some fun and games sorting it out, the guy who built it had fitted everything in places that you could not get to (moral of the story is put the servo, steering arm and electrics in the hull before you fit the deck and make sure you have access to them when the deck is fitted). The servo was to one side under the deck and the complete steering arm and gear was also under the stern deck, I had problems with the steering due to the servo arm and the rudder arm not being parallel with each other this meant that the rudder moved further in one direction than the other making the boat interesting to sail (especially since it was my first boat). I duly set to work to realise that it was impossible to get at the linkage I ended up removing the Trawl gear framing and cutting out quite a large area of deck at the stern using a dremmel, I was then able to relocate the servo in a straight line with the rudder and make and fit a decent linkage to the rudder arm and servo which was adjustable to enable getting the two arms parallel thus curing the steering problem. As a belt and braces solution the opening that I had cut into the deck was trimmed in wood to create a rebate to carry the now removable stern deck, this was screwed down onto the wooden frame and as the deck was planked you could hardly notice. Great advice about walking away if its not going right also using the same manufacturers paints. Hope all this helps and if I can be of mor help with anything else send me a pm.
       Cheers,
           Peter. :-))

plug

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »

Thanks Peter and yes it all has to go in before the sides are on, not much access to the rudder post after, just trying to make up the rudder out of a bit of spare brass
regards Jack.

Mike0001

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

quick question,

The rudder black threaded axle part, its not threaded all the way down....

does it sit with bottom section outside and rubber o ring on inside of hull and how do you tighten the securing nut ( not threaded all the way down 0

If I have done  this completely wrong please correct me

ta for now

it looks threaded all the way down but there is easily a 15mm section at bottom where its not

rougly how I am going to mount it, may need to cut sides down of wooden support

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »

Look back to the post Davidjt did of his rudder fit, Reply 57, you can do away with the 3 pieces of ply, just make a spacer to cover the blank section that does not have any thread on the black threaded Rudder Tube.

Len.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »

The black plastic tube is fitted the other way around so that it pushes down through the hole and the large nut is used to tighten it to the top section.

The top section then has to be above the water line.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:33 pm »

Hi Mike,

I had a similar problem when I built HMS Ariadne - have a look here www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41809.25.html

page 1 - reply no.6

Regards,

Ray.

Mike0001

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 08:33:27 pm »

back on this... what do you guys use as liner for prop ?

do you just fix liner in with resin ?

Stavros

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:33 pm »

Get the angle of the prop right and get it where you want it...drop a couple of spots of superglue to hold it in place,tape up the hole on the outside of the hull,put some spare 5x5mm sections around the inside of the hull around the propshaft and simply fill in with Epoxy....when set remove tape from outside of the hull and simply use filler to fair out where the prop shaft exits the hull

Dave

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:45 am »

Forget the boat. What about the T.Rex Electric Warrior album in the very first pic! What a classic!

Seriously your model is coming along great and looks the business.

Mike0001

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »

what are the bits called that run down the outside of the boat and what would you use for them ?

you can seen them down the middle on outside and top of boat on dave m boats above..... an aid to cut through the water ?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2015, 10:45:34 pm »

I think you're referring to the rubbing strake / half round fendering. O0

It is available commercially - I just used the broken fanbelt from a tumble dryer for mine, but not in that position, mine goes around the upper edge of the hull - see my thread http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47660.0.html

Regards,

Ray.

Mike0001

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 05:26:11 am »

not  that one sir...... the one through near enough the middle of the boat on the outside

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:52 am »

Great thread Mike!
 I'm following this with interest as I am also on my first boat. I'm learning new words and things as I read.

I'm suddenly aware that my prop shaft will be completely below the waterline. Propeller end (obviously) and interior? I notice that the props in the pictures point down and that the other (motor) end is above the waterline. I wanted my prop to be vertical and thought that I could just use a universal joint! Will grease in the outer tube be sufficient to stop leakage?

Keep up the good work Mike and let's hope it helps reduce your blood pressure!     U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:20 am »

hi,
 the rail in the middle is called a spray rail, I used a length of 4mm x 4mm square balsa , then sanded to shape it .hope this helps

davidjt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 22 queries.