Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scams etc!  (Read 14431 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Scams etc!
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »

just received a letter from international processing center  po box  3005 Stafford dc qld 4053  australia saying I have won $80.000.000.00 aus dollars and could I meet them to collect my prize I was 84 yesterday to old to fly all that way so if any mayhemer  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( in australia would like to collect it for me I will go fifty fifty with them   Gordon

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: scam
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »

Wow 80 million aussie dollars. That must be about 1 euro 60 cents after the exchange rate :}

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:21:05 pm »

regiment ...here is the detail of the company who rents PO  Box 3005 is Stafford 4053....QLD in the land of OZ.....interestingly there is also another reference to a Political person of that same address  %) ......it's just down the road from our mate rarrartygunner ...so I reckon he should be promoted to the chief investigation officer  {-)...& I'll be on 10% of his 50% for the recommendation  :P ...... Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trademarkify.com.au%2Flist%2F0%2Fservice%2FWatershift%2520PO%2520Box%25203005%2520DC%2520STAFFORD%2520QLD%25204053%2520AUSTRALIA&ei=emODVIWLH8bamAWz1IHwCQ&usg=AFQjCNGgNG-nEwbfGJZ9TMQcDdFPff8jRg&bvm=bv.80642063,d.dGY
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »

Actually Brian, at the current exchange rate it would be 54,181,976.00 Euro. Deduct the cost of the air fare and there would still be quite a lot left over O0 :}  Regiment could even fly first class :-))

Peter.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:03 pm »

A lorra lorra vegemite {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Dicky-P

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:30:23 pm »

Had yet another call from "Microsoft support" telling me my computer is running slow and offering to sort it for me.

Told them where to go

On Watchdog type programmes have been duped into letting them remotely accessing their computers and then accessing their bank details.

Feel sorry for these gullible people.

dickyp

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »

I get at least four nuisance calls a day.  Just lately Microsoft engineers with heavy Asian accents, followed by what sounds like the same people trying to "help" me claim my PPI money owed and wanting to know about my "recent car accident" no doubt to encourage me to defraud an insurance company.  Each of them insist on repeating the same childish rubbish every day.  Do they think that on the 50th attempt I will somehow "relent"?

In fact I get more scam calls then genuine ones.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

inertia

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »

In fact I get more scam calls than genuine ones.

We went Ex-D about a couple of months ago. Phone calls have gone from maybe six a day to five a week - and none from scammers (we have caller ID, too).
'Tis bliss!
DM

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:53:30 pm »

I get 2 or 3 nuisance calls per day. I think they're trying to tell me about PPI or claiming for the accident I never had but unfortunately I can't hear what they're saying because my hearing was damaged in the noisy factory that I never worked in. When they ring about that I just say, "Sorry. Can you speak up.?" Very unoriginal but it amuses me and hopefully annoys them.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 12:27:30 am »

My parents have had a deluge of them over the last week or so, several calls a day from the same number, normally silence on the end of the phone
Finally one time i picked up I actually had a voice on the end of the phone

"hello, we see that you have some problems with your credit report"
"Really? So you have checked my credit report?"
"yes"
"On who's authority? you realise this is against the Financial Standards Authority code of conduct?""
"Well we haven't actually checked your file"
"Ah so you lied then?"
silence
"Not exactly a good way to start a business relationship is it?, either you have lied or broken the law"
Silence
"Do you mind if I use your name in the report I file with the FSA?
...Click...

not heard from them since  :-))

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 07:59:16 am »

I don't answer any calls that are not recognised by my caller I D, then later check voice mail just in case.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59:07 am »

I just ask for the second and fiftieth character of the telephone password.

No-one ever calls back

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:50:36 am »

We used to get at least two a day, sometimes the same people, and then they started on my mobile. However, for the past fortnight we've had none on the land line and only one on the mobile. That was from the National Advice Centre who were not giving advice!

I don't know why they stopped but I wish it was because of something I said to offend  them  <*<

I hope this post isn't tempting fate  <:(
Don't Assume Check

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 11:13:17 am »

If you're quick you can Google the number while it's still ringing. Sites like 'whocallsme' will usually give you a good idea of ... ummm ... who calls you.  %)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:46 am »

I don't know why they stopped but I wish it was because of something I said to offend  them  <*<

I offend them quite regularly and they soon cut me off.  When its a female of foreign origin I point out that she rang me not me her and I inform her my wife is out..............that I am just out of the shower...........that I love a lady with a foreign accent..........and ask her if she's alone..............then the phone goes dead.  Strange that!  Works a treat.  When its a guy I just give a tirade of abuse.  Again works a treat.  Not big and not clever I know but it works. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:49:03 am »

It really makes no difference if you are Naughty or Nice, these Santas have acquired large databases of phone and personal details and will keep hammering away day and night to try to catch the 1% who are dumb enough to fall for their lies.  Changing your phone number may help for a while, but after you've informed legit companies of change of number eventually you'll appear back on the databases.

Caller ID is helpful, but increasingly these Asian call centres are displaying spoofed numbers to hide behind.
Having BT block "Withheld" numbers will also block many genuine callers such as hospitals and GP surgeries who withhold their caller ID's.  If you have friends abroad then blocking "International" numbers will cut them out.  In practice only 1 in 5 leave messages, and they will not realise that you have an international block on.

TPS is IMO a waste of time, and totally ignored by foreign scammers.  TPS hardly ever prosecute UK based scammers anyway so no deterrent there.

Until the system and the Law is changed it is a problem we are stuck with.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 12:05:52 pm »

They are computerised diallers.

The computer calls random generated numbers, when one rings it stores the number. If it's picked up you are transferred to an  operator. If it goes dead, the previous number has connected, but it stores you for next time!

I actually engaged in a 15 minute call with an operator one time and elicited quite a lot of info from them. They try and get over all the info within a 15-20 second window because up to then their call can't be traced and the call to them is free. Over that and they are on borrowed time. During this call they mentioned that now they had my number they would call and call until I relented and gave them the information they wanted!!!!

I called my local telephone line supplier complaints section and relayed what I had been told, they went apeshit! They intercepted all calls on my home line for two weeks. The trace began immediately the phone rang instead of waiting for it to be picked up. I never got a call on my landline at all for that fortnight, the phone company took them all. In two weeks I had received 97 calls all from cold callers, and the majority from the company operating the abusive line.  That company had action taken against them and surprise surprise, not a single cold call was received in months.

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 12:35:00 pm »

greetings , I was hit in my car at a road juction a few weeks ago, my insurance broker was supposed to handle my claim, however they contracted it out to a company to deal with. they seemed very helpful and said a guy would call next day to sort out repairs for me. He came as promised, looked car over and asked me to sign a consent form to use approved repairer. So I did, well when he left I checked out other forms he gsve me, and it was for injury claim, I had told him I was uninjured before whiule chatting. Now the form said if I did not want to proceed, I was to write within 14 days using the form supplied to the person named on that form or else I would incur all their costs to date. No such form was left, no company name , no contact details. Broker couldnt help, so I went direct to insurer, their legal people were astounded at the tactics used. Next I recieved reams of paper work, including how to claim for whiplash, what to say to doctor etc, also a private doctors appointment(failure to show =cost to me of £250). my i8nsurers finally got it stopped, I reported company to The insurance fraud people, the register of solicitors and trading standards....all replied ...sorry not enough evidence. This firm of ambulance chasers has a terrible reputation and should be closed down, no wonder car insurance is so expensive with people like this making false claims. regards Jenga

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 01:37:28 pm »

Some years ago I got an official looking letter with a Spanish post mark, stating that I had won the equivalent of 300 thousand pounds in the Spanish lottery, strange as I'd never bought a ticket, it went on to say the money was being held by a firm of Spanish solicitors that would release the money to me if I phoned the number given in the letter to arrange to pay 700 pounds "legal fees", well you can see where this is going, fortunately so could I, I wonder if anyone was caught out.   %% %%

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

I had one of the nastier scam calls the other Sunday evening, quite late.

The caller purported to be a policeman from Paddington Green Station who was holding two foreigners who had tried to use my wifes cloned credit card to buy something in one of the big stores in London. When I said that my wife ( who barely ever uses a credit card) wasn't available, he then tried to change the story round to it being my card. When I asked which one, said it was difficult as the card the two had presented was plain with no markings ( as if a store would accept such a thing!) . The voice ,which was a young british asian by the sound of it, then said that I was to contact my card provider IMMEDIATELY!! and then get back to him so he could charge the two once the attempted fraud had been reported to the provider. He gave me the 101 general police number to use rather than a specific number.

One of the advantages of having  worked for the local police force as a civvi for 15 years, before retirement, is that you know how a policeman talks . This guy had never spent any time with the police except as a client !! Also I had heard of this scam, somewhere.

It is based on the fact that you are urged to phone your bank straight away after talking to the "police". When you put the phone down they DON'T so when you ring the bank or card provider, you are still talking to the scammers. Depending on which particular version of the scam they are running you are;

1) Asked to provide info to the "bank" to confirm who you are, which of course includes all card numbers and PIN numbers. This allows them to create a clone card.

2) The nastier version is that they ("the bank") say that they need the card for evidence and they will send someone round to collect it . If you give them the address, lo and behold someone turns up and collects the card.

3) As a variant of 2) they try and persuade you to withdraw all the cash from your bank account which they offer to collect from you and hold securely until your account is made secure.

While it sounds a bit outlandish, they do target the elderly in particular ( perhaps I should be aggrieved!) and it does work.
I did ring my local police on my mobile rather than the landline that received the call and reported it. The scammers usually hang on to the phone for up to 10 minutes waiting for outgoing calls , so you need to either use a mobile or wait for a while or they end up pretending to be the local police

My local force were well aware of the scam took details and gave me a NFRC number which pertains to such offences and then got me to call the national body that advises and co-ordinates action on scams like this . They are very helpful and you can call them to report anything iffy or for advice. They are Action Fraud on (in UK) 0300 123 2040 or www.actionfraud.police.uk.

The scam is known as the Paddington Green scam if you want to google it, though God only knows why they always use that station rather than any other. The real police at that location must be thoroughly sick of getting calls there!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »

I actually know someone who got caught with this scam a few weeks ago  >>:-( <*<
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 07:37:40 pm »

Unfortunately people do get caught off guard in these situations which is what the scammers rely on. If you are out of your comfort zone it's not too difficult to be conned.

My Sister is recovering from a rather gruelling course of treatment from cancer during which her husband suddenly died of a stroke. She has recently moved in to a new Park Home and was persuaded to part with £400 for two 'free' fire extinguishers and a five year 'maintenance contract' from cold callers.

The lease arrangement she has with the site owners does stipulate that her property should have fire fighting equipment which is fair enough but not how it should be provided. She can't even lift the extinguishers that have been delivered! She should get her money back as she has invoked the cooling off period and I showed her one of my own rather smaller extinguishers which has a gauge on it showing whether it still has sufficient pressure which is all the 'maintenance' you need.  This was not precisely a total scam but it was taking advantage of a vulnerable person. I don't know how these people live with themselves really, they are totally sh****y people in my view,

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 09:39:46 pm »

I don't answer any calls that are not recognised by my caller I D, then later check voice mail just in case.

I do exactly the same O0

Peter.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »

Unfortunately people do get caught off guard in these situations which is what the scammers rely on. If you are out of your comfort zone it's not too difficult to be conned.

I agree Colin. Since these people are preying on older people, they also rely on the basic trust that this group of people still have for the Police and authority in general. Also a lot of older people prefer to deal with real people and real cash in banking matters, which is becoming increasingly difficult with the number of branches being closed.  Many don't like or understand some aspects of the current banking systems, credit cards , etc.

Despite working with computers for a large part of my working life, I do not use electronic banking or money transfer if I can help it. Call me a dinosaur if you like!

What happened to your sister is equally despicable. Don't suppose that a firm that tries this on is a member of a trade association although many of those don't take any action against members unless the story gets in to the papers. I hope that her recovery is going well

Stavros

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:46 pm »

I really like it when someone who says your computer is running slow and we can help you to fix it,

My simple ans is when they ask what model you got I simply say Amstrad Pcw 9512 word processor....it is followed by a strange silence as they ask their mates what is that........they come back after a couple of mins with,,,,never heard of that one etc tec tec ...wlel it waastes their time.

Or i simply talk in Welsh with them and boy oh boy is that FUN.............Milbs would wet himeslf with laughter,as i get them going for ages

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.