Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scams etc!  (Read 14427 times)

inertia

Re: scam
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »

ff dim ond chwerthin am welsmen fraster   ;D

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:48:17 pm »

I really like it when someone who says your computer is running slow and we can help you to fix it,

My simple ans is when they ask what model you got I simply say Amstrad Pcw 9512 word processor....it is followed by a strange silence as they ask their mates what is that........they come back after a couple of mins with,,,,never heard of that one etc tec tec ...wlel it waastes their time.

Or i simply talk in Welsh with them and boy oh boy is that FUN.............Milbs would wet himeslf with laughter,as i get them going for ages

Dave

:D thats got me thinking...... maybe some Finnish next time lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Scam
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 04:51:24 am »

Sound perfectly legit to me!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2014 1:14 AM
Subject: Capt. Michael Brown:(Saturday)IIIII

Hello,
My name is Michael Brown an American soldier serving in the Military of the 1st Armored Division in Afghanistan. As you know, we are being attacked by insurgents everyday and car bombings. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision for gradual troop withdrawal process in Afghanistan, I have applied for honorable discharge based on the grounds of reduction in force (RI) as demanded by Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).
Without mincing words, I would want to confide in you that I have in my possession the sum of $10,500,000 USD ( Ten Million five hundred thousand Dollars) which was recovered from a mansion belonging to one of Sadam Hussein’s men who was a crude oil exporter but ran away with his oil loot to Afghanistan. I have this money stored somewhere in an abandoned mine in Kabul waiting for a moment like this to put the money in good use with the help of a reputable and sincere person for investment purposes. This is the reason for contacting you.
I am ready to compensate you with 20% of the funds. The only thing I require from you is just for you to help me move the money out of Afghanistan because Afghanistan is a war zone and also am a uniformed  man ,i cannot parade with such an amount. I have already mapped out a strategy of using diplomatic means to move the money out of Afghanistan to your country as I shall inform the diplomat that the box contains your personal research materials. If you are interested, I will send you the full details.

Can I trust you? When you receive this letter, kindly send me an e-mail signifying your interest including the following information such as

(1) Your full names
(2) Your full address
(3) Your Direct Telephone number.
(4) Age And Occupation

In less than four days, the money with my box shall be in your possession. I shall provide you with the full details as soon as I receive your response.
Awaits your urgent response,

Regards,
Captain Michael Brown
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »

Ahhh. When I had one of these they (Three Marines) were still in Iraq and had managed to rip off the Government Oil office and wanted to share some of their ill-gotten funds with me, if I would handle the Banking for them :-)) :} :embarrassed: {-)

Syd J

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
scams
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »

wife had a call today was told her computer was playing up would she like it fixed over the phone yes she said what make is it she was asked   she replied currys pc world  truro  the phone went dead  next email message from hsbc  that my card had been hacked yer do not bank with hsbc next one pay pal saying my account had been hacked do not have a pay pal account  emailed the wrong person but I suppose they will get some body I might be 84 but I have all my marbles and a few more

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: scams
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »

Is there a Public Holiday in India today?

Just wondered, as remarkably I have not had one scam phone call since yesterday.
Maybe Indian Call Centres are having a day off?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Another scam...
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier, I thought it may be worth sharing with you guys.

"To all my friends and family on here. If you book with Travelodge, Trainline or similar companies. Check and read the small print and make sure you read and re read all checkboxes! Reason? You may unwittingly be signing up to a company called completesave.co.uk. They will offer you a money off voucher for future purchases, but if you are not carefull you will be signing up for them to allow to take £10 - £20 a month from your account! When did you give them your card details you may ask? You didnt! The company you booked through did on your behalf unless you UNCHECK a tickbox. I this morning found this out after Making unkown payments to them for 18months! Laura booked with Travelodge back in September 2013! So I suggest to you all if you booked online traintickets, rooms etc. Check your accounts. Type in Completesave on Google to see that its a REAL scam, also their facebook page "posts to page" section. I have stopped these payments with the bank , contacted them and will be getting a £60 refund i the next few days, then have to fill in an online form to claim the other £120."
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another scam...
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 03:45:03 pm »

Cheers for that Rich.  I shall be on the lookout for that one.

k

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Another scam...
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 06:32:42 pm »

I got caught by a very similar scam a couple of years ago....again through Travelodge, but a different name then. Was paying for 8 months before I realised what was going on. I thought the monthly payments were an insurance policy my wife had taken out until I did some digging.  Complained to the bank that these were unauthorised payments and the bank reimbursed me without question.

Well done for bringing it up!!!

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
scam
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:21 am »

had a phone call today from a gentelman from over seas saying my computer has a problem he asked me the make of it and would I switch it on  I replied it is an amstad 542  the phone went dead I wonder why    gordon

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:40 am »

Well done Gordon, that's the way to do it!

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 10:40:06 am »

You forgot the PCW in front 542 and HEY hands off m8 that's MY LINE ha ha

Dave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 10:40:39 am »

If I'm in the mood I ask them which one of my computers is malfunctioning, your computer they say, yes, which one I ask, seeing that you can "see" my computers? and so.............

LB

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:17 am »

Gordon, I get one of these calls every couple of months and have great fun with them if I'm in the mood and not busy with the time to spare, the trick is to go along with the scam a bit, pretend you're old, a bit deaf, even ga-ga.......... ''wot's that my dear, my computors going wrong?, oh! deary me, which one is it then?......I've got 5 you know.... oh I can't see the numbers on the back because I can't turn it over, it's too heavy, I've got such bad arthritis, do you know a good cure.. etc etc. In fact anything to make them waste their time .
     I manage to keep one goon on the phone for over 15 minutes by being deaf, daft and repeatedly misreading  a ficticious [but plausible looking] string of numbers and ''forgetting'' where I got to, in the end getting him to read them back in the phonic alphabet , which unfortunately for him he did not know properly, so when he read back ........''niner alpha charlie father [instead of foxtrot] ....my response of ''but you can't know charlie's father he died last year'' sent this clown from Bangaloor or wherever ,was almost in tears of frustration....... all rounded off with a hearty bit of Anglo Saxon instructions to go away!

Trevor

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:57 am »

Gordon, I get one of these calls every couple of months and have great fun with them if I'm in the mood and not busy with the time to spare, the trick is to go along with the scam a bit, pretend you're old, a bit deaf, even ga-ga.......... ''wot's that my dear, my computors going wrong?, oh! deary me, which one is it then?......I've got 5 you know.... oh I can't see the numbers on the back because I can't turn it over, it's too heavy, I've got such bad arthritis, do you know a good cure.. etc etc. In fact anything to make them waste their time .
     I manage to keep one goon on the phone for over 15 minutes by being deaf, daft and repeatedly misreading  a ficticious [but plausible looking] string of numbers and ''forgetting'' where I got to, in the end getting him to read them back in the phonic alphabet , which unfortunately for him he did not know properly, so when he read back ........''niner alpha charlie father [instead of foxtrot] ....my response of ''but you can't know charlie's father he died last year'' sent this clown from Bangaloor or wherever ,was almost in tears of frustration....... all rounded off with a hearty bit of Anglo Saxon instructions to go away!

Trevor

This is what I do - try to ruin their 'calls per hour' work rate.  :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 11:20:09 am »

As enjoyable as these games may be, and I have played them myself, it got to the point where 6 or 7 scam calls a day were getting more than tedious.  You know, PPI, recent car accident, and of course helpful Microsoft.  So I invested in a BT8500 Call Guardian phone, and oh dear I almost miss being constantly interrupted whenever I get to a critical bit of gluing or construction.

If you don't have one, you should.  Enter every name and number of anyone you know, including surgery and hospital etc. Anyone else has to announce who they are to give you the opportunity to accept or reject the call.  99% of scam callers just hand up, and move on to another call.  the remaining 1% I can block with a single key press.  Every so often I check the call register which lists all numbers with date and time.

Not a single scam caller since I bought it.  Worth every penny  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »

So I invested in a BT8500 Call Guardian phone, and oh dear I almost miss being constantly interrupted whenever I get to a critical bit of gluing or construction.

If you don't have one, you should. 

Definitely worth the investment.
My parents have one

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 01:49:00 pm »

Definitely worth the investment.
My parents have one

Yes, while I can get some fun out of 1 scammer every month or so that seems to get past the TPS system, 6 or 7 in a single day would most certainly not be any fun at all and I would most definitely take your advice and buy one of these phones.

Trevor

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scams etc!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:59 pm »

I have been checking out the BT8500 and the spec looks very good. The only problem for me would be whether you can turn the volume up loud enough as I an deaf and this phone is not hearing aid compatible. I can use an ordinary mobile with the volume cranked up to max.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »

Colin:  At max volume it is not as loud as my mobile on maximum, but still quite loud. I know the problem with modern phones too well!.  No socket for external speaker either.  I have a separate external bell which helps.
Maybe worthwhile to call BT Customer Service for advice.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »

My dad is a little "mutton" and he has no problems with the 8500

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »

'My dad is a little "mutton" and he has no problems with the 8500'

Unfortunately I am a lot 'mutton'! When I play music using an amplifier and headphones on the PC my Wife can hear it upstairs in bed!  I have been doing a bit more research and I don't think the 8500 is going to be loud enough.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »

According to BBC News a company has just been fined £850,000 for making six million nuisance calls over just six months.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34984695

With the TPS a total waste of time lets hope new legal powers from Dec 2014 will similarly target the majority of these scum organisations that often blight peoples lives with incessant harassment.

inertia

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 05:00:10 pm »

Colin
We fitted one of these on the advice of #1 son, who is in the bizz. It connects in series with the phone and the socket and it uses the phone's own sounder, and it comes pre-loaded with  many known nuisance numbers. If you do get a call and you want to block any more from the same number you just press the button during the call, or you can program it in later via the keypad. Like I often say, it works for me. http://www.cprcallblocker.com/cpr-call-blocker-v108-world-1-call-blocker/
Dave M

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »

Colin
We fitted one of these on the advice of #1 son, who is in the bizz. It connects in series with the phone and the socket and it uses the phone's own sounder, and it comes pre-loaded with  many known nuisance numbers. If you do get a call and you want to block any more from the same number you just press the button during the call, or you can program it in later via the keypad. Like I often say, it works for me. http://www.cprcallblocker.com/cpr-call-blocker-v108-world-1-call-blocker/
Dave M

Those are great but do check compatibility first... We had one and it was not compatible with our cordless phone system.
The company are very good tho, they immediately offered a refund once its incompatibility was discovered

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.