Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the point?!!! ( Meat styled vegetarian food )  (Read 25444 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WHAT IS THE POINT!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:13 am »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Neil is this really a can of worms %) %) %) O0 O0 O0

Also available
And the juices are locked in the can! Yummy!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 07:16:25 am »

I find this all very confusing.  It is my understanding that vegetarians do not eat meat either because they don't like the taste / texture, or they have moral objections to where meat comes from.  OK so far

Why then to Quorn manufacturers go to so much effort in promoting how closely it replicates the taste and texture of real meat ?  Likely to put vegetarians right off, and do nothing to attract real meat eaters.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 07:28:15 am »

No guys you just don't get it.

I am vegetarian & just don't understand why you meaties are so threatened by veggies that you need to keep sneering.

I don't eat meat because I don't want to. I don't like the idea of eating meat and that would ruin any pleasure that I got from so doing. It doesn't mean that I don't like the taste of meat nor some of the convenience ideas that have developed around meat. 

It is very awkward to be invited to something like a barbeque & find that there is nothing that you can eat. Veggie burgers are a godsend. It is very awkward to have non veggie guests, or family, who expect meat. If there is a compromise like Quorn that we would both eat and which can be made into something that they would welcome then that is great. The other use of these products is to be able to use recipes that call for meat. A product that looks like meat & tastes like meat is very useful. It isn't that I really want to eat meat but rather that I really don't want to eat meat which can be very awkward & inconvenient.

Why you meaties feel so threatened by it I cannot imagine.

PS I don't understand why you meaties will eat things in pies, pasties, burgers, sausages etc that you would totally refuse to eat if presented with unprocessed .

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 07:39:42 am »

ok2

A piece of plastic of the color of the meat with a chemical liquid which would have the smell of the burned meat would be the ideal

I joke ............

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 07:49:42 am »

Guys.....I think one of the important issues here is ...... >>:-( how do we feed the growing world population with protein?

I am not vegetarian but have eaten a vegetarian burger..........it tasted OK with lashings of BBQ sauce  O0

Our people [USSR & US] that ventured into .."outer space" or beyond the gravitational influence of any other planet could not light a BBQ as we from OZ would know

BTW...what was the name of that little USSR doggie in space?...his name was Laika  ............& when he returned...was Liaka treated to BBQ Russian meat products? .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:07 am »

No guys you just don't get it.

I am vegetarian & just don't understand why you meaties are so threatened by veggies that you need to keep sneering.

I don't eat meat because I don't want to. I don't like the idea of eating meat and that would ruin any pleasure that I got from so doing. It doesn't mean that I don't like the taste of meat nor some of the convenience ideas that have developed around meat. 

It is very awkward to be invited to something like a barbeque & find that there is nothing that you can eat. Veggie burgers are a godsend. It is very awkward to have non veggie guests, or family, who expect meat. If there is a compromise like Quorn that we would both eat and which can be made into something that they would welcome then that is great. The other use of these products is to be able to use recipes that call for meat. A product that looks like meat & tastes like meat is very useful. It isn't that I really want to eat meat but rather that I really don't want to eat meat which can be very awkward & inconvenient.

Why you meaties feel so threatened by it I cannot imagine.

PS I don't understand why you meaties will eat things in pies, pasties, burgers, sausages etc that you would totally refuse to eat if presented with unprocessed .

Thank you for that explanation.  I was not poking fun, just asking the question.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 08:28:19 am »

tug fanatic...you make it very clear...well done ..I now understand....regards tony

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:58 am »

and I certainly wasn't sneering at veggies......each to their own.............I was sneering at the complete and utter rubbish printed on packaging.......MEAT FREE CHICKEN PIECES??????

As for your statement Can't eat meat......now that is misleading......unless you are allergic to meat................you can eat meat, just don't want to because of your beliefs!!

And one last point......don't see anything awkward about going to a veggie bbq..............would just ask If I could bring and cook my own piece of chicken or steak......and if refused, I just wouldn't go!......simples.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:54 am »

Fellow veggie here. I gave up meat 30 years ago after I graduated - as a student I'd lived on sausages and burgers without really thinking about all the crud that was in them. One Friday night, in 1985, while commuting back to Newcastle from my work, and changing trains at York railway station, I took a chomp on a burger that was, apparently, 100% gristle. It was like (probably WAS) eating an ear.  %%

These days? I sometimes eat Quorn. The 'mince' is handy in a chilli or spag bol., but I'd rather eat real food, made at home. No ready-meals (for half a person) in this house.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

inertia

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:49 am »

ok2

Dave
To eat healthily you should not go to the hypermarkets of stores.
It is necessary to cultivate its garden, to make its products, to make its soup, to make its cooking , to buy at youngs producer
When I go in your country I do not know what to eat, everything is under plastic..................
You are responsible for it, and now he is too late for you. You are condemned to eat this kind of thing.
Jean-Pierre
1. I don't.
2. I do. There are over 100 recipes in my Favourites, including a dozen or so soups. I've used every one of them; many on a regular basis.
3. No it isn't. There is no need to buy anything wrapped in plastic on a plastic tray - you can get all of it loose by weight elsewhere, and usually cheaper.
4. No I'm not. I'm as free to choose what I eat as you are, and I too choose not to eat pre-packed processed crud or sugar-laden junk. Pizzas, chicken nuggets and burgers have no place in this house.
I do all the cooking here and I use only fresh meat, fish and veg. The reason I'm overweight is because I drink too much bl**dy French wine!
I do despair about the present generation who seem fixated on watching cookery shows on TV but who couldn't boil an egg.
But fois gras is natural?? Tell the geese that  :o
As for the vegetarian alternative, as Frankie Boyle so eloquently put it, you can £$%!! off!
Dave M

rpbidgood

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 10:01:40 am »

I hope this is meat free!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:08 am »

I hope this is meat free!

You're safe its past its use by date   :o :o %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:18 am »

I once read that "Chocolate flavoured" products do not contain any real chocolate!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 10:23:48 am »

I am not vegetarian but have eaten a vegetarian burger..........it tasted OK with lashings of BBQ sauce  O0

Our people [USSR & US] that ventured into .."outer space" or beyond the gravitational influence of any other planet could not light a BBQ as we from OZ would know

BTW...what was the name of that little USSR doggie in space?...his name was Laika  ............& when he returned...was Liaka treated to BBQ Russian meat products? .... Derek
The veggie burger, given enough BBQ sauce probably tasted of BBQ sauce.

Laika was on a one way trip, there was no provision for re-entry, so probably became part of a BBQ on the way down.  And he was a she.
Back then, the quality of processed ready food was questioned on TW3 - there was mention of the "gristle and bacteria pie".
As to additives, how do we know what has been involved in the production of vegetables?  One either side, I suspect that all of us just have to hope that we never get into the Soylent Green era.  Or one of Jack Vances imaginings, meals consisting of "gruff, deedle and wobbly".  Three courses.

I once read that "Chocolate flavoured" products do not contain any real chocolate!
Hence the use of the magic get-out word "flavoured".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 10:44:37 am »

In what universe does quorn taste  like meat. It's texture is rubbery and to me it's like eating gristle. HavING been a veggie for 5 years when I was younger, I ate mainly fresh steamed or toasted veg. Made my own nut loaves and breads etc. I tried the veggie packet stuff and tofu and soya product's, but most  tasted of cardboard. During the summer months i lived on salads  and light soups and during the winter root veg soups and roast veg etc. I took a choice from the start to only use seasonal produce and locally sourced. 
I have since come back to the dark side, but still eat more veg, meat normally bring an accompanyment.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:41 am »

I honestly think that trading standards should be involved, its obviously not chicken or beef for that matter, so why are they allowed to describe it as such?

The packaging should say Quorn in big letters with something like artificially flavoured with chemicals to taste like chicken underneath. :-))

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:28 am »

There's that kind of blowback because among vegetarians or vegans there's a fraction of insane people who want to evangelize "meat eater" (or even try and get bans).

While the vast majority of vegans/vegetarians keep their choice personal and don't make a crusade out of it, the minority of vocal crazies in the "movement" get poked fun at.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 11:27:02 am »

DAVE

I owe you excuses, when I said that you have to cook, soups it was generally, I did not think of you in particular.

The young people do not want to cook any more, how you say, not capable of cooking an egg, but girls do not know ............... that will eat my grandchildren?

The foie gras is a natural product, the animal is filled up in the maîs , We have never seen crazy duck {-)

Dave I have to change glasses, I had not seen whom you were in overweight in .......

PS the French wine does not make enlarge :P :P :P :-))

inertia

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:04 am »

Dave I have to change glasses, I had not seen whom you were in overweight in .......PS the French wine does not make enlarge :P :P :P :-))
Oooo, la la!  :embarrassed: You old Gallic charmer! :kiss:
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »

Goodness Malcolm...I got that one cocked up....but @ school in OZ [I was about 8YO]...we were taught that a doggie drove the Spunik rocket ...[sex in those days was not necessarily discussed]......>>:-( .... I just thought it was amazing for a doggie to drive a rocket........... O0 .....Derek
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In 1957, Laika became the first animal launched into orbit, paving the way for human spaceflight. 

Other appellation(s) Kudryavka  Species Canis lupus familiaris Breed Mongrel, possibly part-husky (or part-Samoyed) and part-terrier

Sex Female

Born 1954
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

Well folks..... just reading........Inertia says ...... "I do all the cooking here" <*<.... so does that mean that Liz is down in the electrical workshop :P slaving away whilst the cook swigs the French wine? {-)

No wonder the quality control of the electronic bits is OK  :-)).......

Not sure how Liz puts up with the burnt or undercooked  morstials that DM offers up on the dinner plate  <*<

I also have it on good report that when the grandchildren stay overnight on the weekends...they prefer Weetabix than their grandpa's renditions of breakfast food  {-) %% .... Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 01:12:25 pm »

as a family we have done vegetarian, and meat eating (currently in a meat eating phase) and I have had quorn as part of that - the quorn mince (or soya mince come to that) are good for bulking out real mince for a shepherds pie or bolognaise ( to keep the costs down in these expensive days) I do have an allotment for fresh veg, and we do soups, we get a lot of our veg at the farm shops (price differences are marginal over supermarkets).
Personally I think its all down to personal tastes and beliefs.
I respect a vegetarians decision not to eat meat, or a vegans decision not to eat meat or dairy.
I cant quite understand vegetarians that don't consider fish to be meat, but that's their choice (personally you could not ever get me to eat any fish or seafood as I am allergic to it).
as for labelling that's down to manufacturers trying too hard to sell their product to a meat eater as a 'healthier' version of the food they like, I have noticed how quorn is advertised not to the vegetarian, but as a low fat alternative to the meat version for the meat eater - its all about marketing.
Grendel

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »

Regarding the original post / picture I'd have to agree that is a bit daft, if not actually an unlawful description. 'Chicken substitute' would be more realistic.

As to Quorn, or tofu, I have no problem with them. Comparing them to meat is like comparing potato with chicken. They can all be used as 'bulk' in a sauce for example, where they basically end up tasting of the sauce. But they are, quite simply, different.
I actually quite like the texture of Quorn and tofu and the absence of gristle, fat or bits of bone that sometimes inhabit real meat is a bonus for me.

inertia

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »

Not sure how Liz puts up with the burnt or undercooked  morstials that DM offers up on the dinner plate  <*<
Is that the vegetarian morstials or the frozen morstials in packets of three-and-a-half? I think we need some clarification.  O0
As for Quorn, it's a pleasant little village on the A6 just to the south of Loughborough, with two decent pubs and a famous fox-hunting tradition - although the Quorn Hunt rides out from Barrow-on-Soar, which is the next village along.
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 03:37:20 pm »

Anyone got a model of HMS Quorn ??
WW2 Hunt class destroyer or Hunt Class Minehunter?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.