Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: high blood pressure  (Read 24535 times)

Mike0001

high blood pressure
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:26:27 pm »

some of you may be aware be having some problems with my blood pressure and today wearing a  24 hour device

my last reading 176/118 sounds terrible but it tightened up so much round me thought it was going to squeeze my arm in half

any other sufferers here , getting  a bit worried about this

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:49:18 pm »

Mike....that is way too high.... so go to your Doctor >>:-(

About 3 years ago I found mine to be averaging 175/140/70...the Dr suggested I had very little time left on earth  <*<

However with medication [plus red wine & garlic] I have never been better & monitor it for daily for two weeks every 3 months [with one of those $100 digital monitors]

I have an appointment with my Dr tomorrow morning & have prepared the following...[for some reason she continues to ask why I need to drink every day.......I simply respond that a man is not a came]..... {-) ... Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mike0001

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:09:09 pm »

hi

was in the hospital over night last night got out at 6.30 this morning...

Doctors today and presrribed  blood pressure tablets , started taking  tablets tonight so hopefully they will kick in soon, hopefully overnight.

aged 46 I did not see this coming, 9-10 weeks of constant ecgs and blood tests are taking its toll

hopefully though now I have started blood pressure tablets it will bring it down..... also go to go and get an angiogram done.. scary stuff

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:47:23 pm »

hi

was in the hospital over night last night got out at 6.30 this morning...

Doctors today and presrribed  blood pressure tablets , started taking  tablets tonight so hopefully they will kick in soon, hopefully overnight.

aged 46 I did not see this coming, 9-10 weeks of constant ecgs and blood tests are taking its toll

hopefully though now I have started blood pressure tablets it will bring it down..... also go to go and get an angiogram done.. scary stuff

Hi Mike001..

First things first.. It will take a few days for the tablets to kick in but Don't blo*dy stress yerself out about it. It can be managed.

For years, (nearly 10) I suffered from headaches and put it down to the stress I was under in a particular occupation. I ended up leaving it. I then decided to go back to lifeboating, flew through the medical until the doc nearly forgot about the blood pressure. To cut a long story short i thought I had blown it as my BP was sky high. Not a problem. He put me on tablets, (had to alter them to get ones that suited me) got the BP sorted out and am now a full crew member at local lifeboat station training as a helm and ALB navigator.

Can count the number of headaches i've had on one hand the past 4 years... and I just turned 47.😀

Declan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »

I have had a couple of angiograms. Nothing really to worry about, its best that they find any issues this way than the alternative!

Good luck
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »

Cut out salt as much as possible..... easy for me to say!  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:05 am »

I was on Cyclosporine for a while and that cranked my bp to an average of 210/160.  :o

Unfortunately, even though I'm not taking it any more, my bp still wants to be around 170/120 but I seem to have the worst side-effects from every bp pill they put me on.  :((

Now on Bendroflumethiazide & Candesartan - bp sitting around 140/100 but often around 155/110 - not good.  {:-{

Fifie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:39:01 am »

In June 2014 I went to my doctor for a routine check for diabetes
Said to him I didn't feel well
He checked my blood pressure and heart rate, sent me to the treatment room for an ECG.
He looked at the ECG and immediately started writing a letter to the nearest hospital 20 miles away
He asked if my wife could take if not he would call an ambulance
He said I had a racing and intermittent heart beat
Ended up in hospital for six days
In September 2014 I went for a cardioversion
This is  where the shock the heart back into a good rhythm
Went back after six weeks for a checkup and was told  my heart had reverted back to a bad rhythm
They said they would not try the procedure again and that I would just have to carry  as i am until  it catches up with me
I am noe 70 but you what life goes on
Fifie

inertia

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:39 am »

2006: Full time job + Trying to live through a major house renovation = Severe nosebleeds + 180/120 + Psoriasis
>Doc + Amlodipine + Simvastatin + Tell HMC&E to stuff their job = No nosebleeds + 120/75 + no psoriasis
No 'bad' cholesterol. It was probably stress.
I too use one of those squeezy monitors and have had no problems with it, although it does feel like it will crush your arm!
Good luck.
DM

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:51 am »

Hi Mike, just be glad you found out about it, it's not called the silent killer for nothing, I was diagnosed with it around 10 years ago, you will most likely have to try different tablets or combinations of them once your doctor finds the right combination you can live with it ok  :-))
Joe

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:35:47 am »

:embarrassed: I have had had high blood pressure for over 30 years started when I was 29,started getting giddy spells and feeling faint went to doctors who said you have blood pressure of a man of 70 he put me on pills and have been on them ever since,some of them have have side effects which I could not take, now on Amlodipine which seems to agree with me,I don't put  any salt on my food at all,we can live normal lives with this problem just take care of yourself,some people say it because you are over weight but I have never been over 10 stone must be my genes,Ray. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:       
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:50 am »

hi all I have high blood pressure my tablets are amlodipine 10 mg I still go boating and  shopping   messing about in the garden if you worry it will get worse carry on as normal I do I was 84 on 5 dec  tot of whisky at night no harm so my doctor says    Gordon ps mind you at 42 I was running around the Brecon beacons jumping out off helicopters  that's why im fit so my wife says   :-)) :-)) :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:00 am »

A few years ago mine was checked out after a flu jab and the medics homed in on me.  I had noticed that the new trousers that I bought had been needing a steadily larger waist size as time went on.  I had a bit of a lifestyle change.  Not being the kind of person who can cold-bloodedly walk for exercise, I abandoned the weekly shop and started doing a daily shop to a range of shops about 3/4 mile away on foot.  No use of a basket, when my arm was full, that was it for the day, plus I was walking home carrying it.  That, and somebody told me that including beetroot in my diet would help.  Also not adding salt helps.  Since then, I have come down from a rather uncomfortable 16 and a bit stone to just under 13 and a half, getting around is easier and the blood pressure monitor has moved from normally orange to occasionally yellow and usually green.  Just need to sort the cholesterol out now.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:01 am »

Greetings, I had a massive heart attack when I was in my late forties, had 2 more since, both near fatal. I have had a quad by pass about 9 years ago and am now as fit as a flea ( a very sickly flea lol). people ignore blood pressure and it is so dangerous to do so, with the right meds its controlled, also you need to take things easier, no streesing about stuff you cant control, go with the flow, chill.
last year on holiday after standing for hours watching an air display I fainted, embarrassed or what. anyway paramedic said he thought I had a heart attack and wanted to take an ecg trace, so I warned him he would freak out if he did. he took it and FREAKED OUT....hospital on blues and twos...doctor repeated test, told him he would freak out, and he did. kept telling him I was fine and heart rhythm trace was normal for me, it always freaks med staff out lol. I now carry a letter from consultant heart surgeon plus typical(for me) ecg printout to stop them trying to issue a death certificate for me. btw my normal resting pulse is about 40bpm, one bang per lamppost as old bikers used to say.
do as your doctor says, and yes they do know whats best for you.
regards Jenga.....still ticking

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 11:24:33 am »

malcom blackpool thats where I fainted....re cholesterol, my surgeon wanted my nasty cholesterol below 4, I got it to 3.6 then got invited to the trial of a new drug and it is now an incredible 2.4, one of the lowest ever seen in our area, so when its released it will be a godsend for high cholesterol suffers.
heart conditions are NOT the end of your life, if you do as your told its the start of a different style of life. I had to retire at 48, lost a thriving business, but I have gained so, so much, been able to spend all the time I wanted with my wife and family and do everything I want to do. At the ripe old age of 68 Im going back on stage in a rock band, bring it on. Was a singer all through my teenage years in the 60,s touring with the top groups of the day so Im going back to the start so to speak. wish me luck
jenga

Mike0001

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »

wow that's some great reading /stories and perked me up

Been giving Amlodipine 10 mg, today my work saw me typing with one hand and holding my chest and dialled 999, panic I think set In but was taken yet again to hospital for blood test which again came back negative

so watching my blood pressure over next few days to see what effect it has, I have since first attack lost 18lbs in weight and changed my diet for the better

angiogram is next port of call possibly in 2 weeks....... trying to keep calm is hard but staying positive I say only way is up

:-))

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:22 pm »

I had a similar problem (but opposite in a way) a few years back I got the pains the feverish feeling so off to the doctors, possible heart attack, so into hospital and on all the standard heart meds. after a week they had ruled out heart attack but couldn't be sure as I had had the raised levels of something or other that indicates the heart has been working too hard, as one of the things they put me on had been IV antibiotics, it transpired that this was what had stopped all the problems as I had had an infection - myocarditis - the muscle around the heart gets an infection and squeezes the heart (giving all the symptoms of a heart attack, and if untreated can be just as deadly) now they kept me on all the meds and would not let me home as I now had a different problem, a blood pressure of 80/50 - every time they took it the machine would have a spasm and start shrieking its alarm.
finally they sent me home. for a few days I could not bend over, or stand up from a chair without crashing straight over in a faint. so I voluntarily stopped taking the blood pressure pills, ah better - back to my normal low blood pressure.
a few weeks later they did an angiogram, just to be sure.
that was an experience, the camera up through the arteries from the groin, the nurse who tried to push her thumb through my leg for 10 minutes after I came out of the room to allow the arteries to clot and start knitting, plus sitting not moving for the next hour, after that the doctor came out, he had a beaming smile on his face when he got to me, it seems he almost never had good news for patients, but he let me know my arteries were in perfect condition (and by the way could he use the video he took to show his pupils what a clean healthy artery should look like as it is so rare to get a patient having an angiogram when nothing is wrong) he told me that if anyone said I was having a heart attack he would call them a liar.
This has not stopped other problems, apparently I have sluggish blood, its too thick, and through that I had some pains in the right shoulder (small blood clots on the lung) and am now on thinners (warfarin)- still the good bit was it helped seal up the hole from the angiogram quickly.
So the moral of the tale, don't ignore blood pressure (either way) don't ignore heart attack symptoms (of ones for blood clots) and see the doctor if you feel anything unusual is going on.
I am now 54, and since being made redundant a few years back have taken on a more lowly position and at work am taking it easy (well I say that, but I still do twice as much as others doing the same job) but I have no pressure from work.
Cholesterol - Somewhere under 2.4 last time I was tested, so even with low BP and low cholesterol you can still have problems, but caught early its all treatable.
Take care all
Grendel

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

mike 18 lbs is awesome, keep it up. I know how you feel, every little niggle seems to make you think the worse, but your doing something about it. my advice to anyone is see a doctor soonest, far better than seeing a pathologist later lol. you'll be fine and dandy when they sort you out, may take a few attempts but you will get there. look at my story, I survived 3 MI heart attacks, I have 3 dead areas of heart muscle yet my old pump is going like a good un.....arrrrrgggggggggggggg   sorry black humour. Dont count the days, make the days count, and tell those close to you you love them often. and get on with your life, its not a rehearsal, this is it, so enjoy.
jenga

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »

Like so many others on here I also have high BP. It has always been on the higher side but earlier this year I was offered a free NHS health check for the over 65s which indicated that it was over advisable limits. After a day on the portable squeezer I was booked in for an ECG. This took place the day before we were due to fly to Canada on holiday so I think that put the level up a bit more as I was terrified of being pronounced unfit to fly! Fortunately the Doctor didn't raise any objections.

I have been put on Ramipril capsules 2.5mg. This is apparently one of the default types of pill as it is cheap but it is also the one most likely to have side effects, in fact the list of possible side effects in the packet seems to include just about everything short of dropping down dead! However, I cannot definitely say that I have noticed any strong side effects myself so am carrying on with it for the moment. If you do then they switch you to other, more expensive, pills until they find one that you can tolerate.

I have been a bit remiss in monitoring my BP though and as a result of this topic have just ordered a BP monitor from Amazon at £19.99 which will avoid the need for frequent visits to the public machine in the local health centre.

Obviously keeping your BP down is a sensible thing but it still doesn't mean you won't expire from something else altogether!  :o

Colin

Mike0001

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »

2006: Full time job + Trying to live through a major house renovation = Severe nosebleeds + 180/120 + Psoriasis
>Doc + Amlodipine + Simvastatin + Tell HMC&E to stuff their job = No nosebleeds + 120/75 + no psoriasis
No 'bad' cholesterol. It was probably stress.
I too use one of those squeezy monitors and have had no problems with it, although it does feel like it will crush your arm!
Good luck.
DM

so yours was stress ?  doctors have said mine might be stress and been offered diazipan ? really don't fancy that

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 04:25:17 pm »

mike...stress is very nasty, but you seem to be stressing your self worrying about your BP, very easy and understandable but.....you are being treated by competant people and you will be fine. You see how many responded to your post, you are not alone with this....feel sorry for the ones who have it and dont realise/dont do anything about it. worrying what might happen will not help you one bit, think to yourself it'll all be fixed soon. If you can lose 18lb you can beat this stood on you head,...... actually dont stand on your head its bad for BP. my brother in law has diabetis, his BP is 212/177 and his blood sugar is so high that when I entered it onto a web site, the response I got was "please enter a valid level", now he really needs to sort himself out but he wont.
your doing all you can...now RELAX!!!!!!!
jenga

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

Crikey, is nobody well on Mayhem?,  not me either, had Heart attack the day before 60th birthday and spent it in Hospital then taken from Ashford to St Thomas's in London to have Angioplasty and with pills I am doing ok.

Len.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:30 pm »

I take amlodipine for mine, its around 150/90 and the doc says its too high for a guy nudging 60 :D

So anyway get yourself into a branch of Boots and buy an Omron blood pressure monitor. Its just what they use in hospitals, wrap it around your arm, plug it into the gizmo and press the button. The machine does the rest for you and gives a digital reading-systolic/diastolic and pulse. For 20-25 pounds you can't go wrong, they even sell them on ebay for a couple of quid less.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

:-)) If you are taking medication remember to take same time everyday, if it is only one pill take it in the morning as that when B.P. is at its highest,that is also the best time to take your B.P. but be relaxed before you do(not after a 5 mile hike) so or your get a false reading,all this I have learnt after 30 years on pills,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 05:37:12 pm »

I recently had the NHS health check ( I'm 70 in January ). Nurse told me my cholesterol level was low - she said " whose a clever boy then! " and that my blood pressure was very high. Now, my BP has always been on the low side so that came as a bit of a shock, but as I had been playing golf that morning she suggested I came back the next day for a recheck. So, I went back and she rechecked it (3 times - both arms) with the new super digital equipment and said it was still very high and said that I must see the doctor there and then. Waited about an hour and saw the doc. He checked BP on the old manual "pump up" equipment and said it was slightly higher than normal but nothing to worry about. He didn't actually say so but gave the impression that the newfangled equipment didn't always tell the truth!
   Anyway, much relieved....

Dave.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.