Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: high blood pressure  (Read 24543 times)

Mike0001

Re: high blood pressure
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:07 pm »

doctors also told me that, digital equipment is not as accurate as manual pump but its good guide.

Purchased a boots arm  monitor and will be taking a record once a day at same time to show the doctor if noting else.

as for weight loss, well changes to my diet, porridge for breakfast, a small lunch and for dinner potatoes with veg, and rice  and pasta

Basically cut out all the rubbish, was snacking a lot on crisps, sandwiches was also an issue looking back, now when I fancy a packet of crisps I grab an apple .

weight came off pretty easily, not a big guy weighed 11 and a half stone now ten stone 2, lost about 2-3 pound weekly.

nice to think I am not alone and it can be beaten  :-))

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:46 pm »

Like so many others on here I also have high BP. It has always been on the higher side but earlier this year .

I have been put on Ramipril capsules 2.5mg. This is apparently one of the default types of pill as it is cheap but it is also the one most likely to have side effects, in fact the list of possible side effects in the packet seems to include just about everything short of dropping down dead!

You sure.  Was it not in the very small print at the bottom of page 2 😜😜😜😜

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:37 am »

You sure.  Was it not in the very small print at the bottom of page 2 😜😜😜😜

So it is! It says to consult your GP immediately in the event of this.  :-))

Mike0001

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 08:48:21 pm »

taking tablets now blood pressure going down but still feel like I have pressure in my chest

seeing doctor who wants to book angiogram for possibly start of new year, stents I think he said have mentioned .

need to do some more research into them

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:24 pm »

Stents are mesh tubes inserted into the arteries and expanded to enlarge them and thus reduce constrictions and hence reduce blood pressure.

Colin

Mike0001

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:30 pm »

thanks colin

sounds a bit scary doing some research but sounds well worth it

he told me balloon goes in which expands artery and cylindrical tube  then goes in which holds artery open ?

12 months of aspirin and blood thinners after as well

anyone been through it on here, it looks like that where I am headed but staying calm and positive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:47 pm »

Yes Mike , I had a stent fitted about 5 years ago. The procedure is simple and completely painless. Added bonus that I could see the  whole thing as it happened on the monitor that the surgeon was using to insert the stent.  The device is a little mesh tube that keeps the restriction open. Aspirin keeps the blood thin.   Important to keep active, I`m hill walking and cycling to keep fit, age 78 years young.
..well can you land on this?

Mike0001

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 09:55:29 pm »

I am quite an active guy, did martial arts for years, regulary go swimming and cycling now and also changed my diet for the better

don't smoke or drink and still think so why me ? aged 46 ?

good to see your still active and its worked for you ... very well done.

hopefully I will not have to wait to long

when I handed in the blood pressure monitor the nurse downloaded the data and told me most of the readings were very high highest 190/130 lowest 145/100 so not great but blood pressure tablets have now took this down but still high

healthy future everyone  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:02 pm »

Mike, it is always a shock when you are confronted by something like this, particularly at a comparatively early age. However there are hundreds of thousands of people in exactly the same boat as you who are all being treated successfully so the odds are totally in your favour that you will be one of them. The important thing is to come to terms with the situation and understand exactly what it means and what are the implications for ongoing treatment and then you will be able to go on with living a normal life. OK, so you may have to take some pills but most of us have to do that!

Colin

Mike0001

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 10:11:40 pm »

yes colin its all happened so quickly which has came as wake up call for me

hope I am not coming across as a moaner because that I am not.......

interesting topic though and a lot of response and unbelievable strong attitude to getting on with it has what I have noticed

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 10:25:40 pm »

Mike,

No you are not coming across as a moaner, simply someone who needs to put your situation in perspective and where better than on Mayhem with it's huge contingent of fellow travellers!

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »

One point not mentioned here so far Mike is the term 'white coat syndrome' ....not joking...but scientifically proven that a persons BP may well exceed 15% of the norm when taken by medical staff.... be it a pretty young nurse %) or a grumpy old Doctor   >>:-(

So whilst I have great respect for my GP........sometimes Doctors appear to not 'leave well enough alone'.... as my GP suggested instead of my [5mg Ramipril] each evening... I try [5 mg Ramipril + 5mg Felodipine] in the one modified release tablet each evening

Within 48 hours my ankle bones disappeared with swelling of my feet  <*< .....I awoke with pins & needles in the finger tips of both hands  <:( and a fuzzy tingling in my toes %)

Ain't GOOGLE great....looked up side effects of Felodipine....you guessed it...swelling of joints, pins & needles on extremities & a host of other issues

Its good that my GP is just a 3 minute walk from my residence..........I cannot describe the colour of her skin lest say it is the absence of light.......she was born in Nigeria....[surname is UCHENDU].. 6'6" tall & very very attractive :kiss: :kiss: ...but was thinking of a few [unmentionable] expletives as I walked to the Surgery rooms.....

Needless to say ..I am back on [5mg Ramipril] each evening...& yes my BP does seem a little higher than the norm when monitored by my GP.......Derek  :D
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mike0001

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:27 pm »

hi

yes I have heard of white coat syndrome..... bit like being quizzed by a superior and your heart rate goes up but I get what your saying ...... kind of go into a panic while they take your pressure

brain playing tricks on you really

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:58 am »

I agree with Derek, Im so laid back Im horizontal, my doctor is a great bloke and when I see hom Ifeel chilled and calm, BUT ...my blood pressure is higher than normal, so he chats to me for a while about fishing or such stuff and repeats test, and its normal again. Sometimes does 3 test, I guess thats how lie detectors work, you feel calm but inside you aint.
Mike, I had stents done mid 90's when it was a bit less easy, also my arteries were 85% blocked, and it was ok. When I was waiting for open heart surgery, I met a guy who had a heart bypass done 14 years before and he looked like someone had attacked his chest with a chain saw, and thats not me being funny, it was horrendous, and my initial reaction was oh my, well it was actually F*** that!! .Still I had 2 choices, have it done or die, so no contest really. But my operation left my chest with just a thin red scar line which has all but gone now. So techniques improve and results get better. Strange as it may seem, when Ive been in hospital, I look at the other "customers" in the ward and think Im lucky compared to them. Example: sat in ER with my thumb in a plastic bag wrapped in a bag of frozen peas, I was feeling very sorry for myself till they wheeled in a young guy with his arm in a bigger bag, lol. so remember theres always someone suffering more than you. You are really like an old prop shaft, the motor is working a bit harder to whizz you around, a bit of grease and you'll be spinning fine and dandy.
You realise that some researcher will read these posts and make the connection between stress, high BP and model boat building and the Gov will ban it like smoking.....regards Jenga

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 05:34:31 pm »

Hi Mike,
Angiogram is where the insert a wire in your groin ( in my case ) and feed it up to your Heart, and if they find a narrow or blocked artery they will then insert a Stent, and this procedure is called an Angioplasty, this is what I had done 10years ago after my Heart Attack and I feel FINE!!  O0 O0 O0.

Len.

Mike0001

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 06:11:28 pm »

good to hear len

I have been referred last week to caridiac consultant, not sure when this will take place have another appointment 23rd of December with my doctor.

Also work for rs and have the option of going private with axa which I may take up if nhs has a long queue.

don't like the sound of  going in through groin though I was hoping it would be my wrist

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:33 pm »

There should not be a long wait, but, take the AxA option
It will be done straight away at your convenience and
follow up treatment will not mean waiting in outpatients
for long stretches.
Had a Aorta / Bi Femoral bybass 8 years ago and fine.

Good Luck.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 08:45:56 am »

Just noticed this thread,  :D
in 2008, my feet started to swell up, so I went to the A&E, two weeks later managed to escape and get home, my blood pressure reading made the male nurse in a&e disappear quite rapidly, he recorded 224/180 (it had been higher), now i feel like i rattle every morning and night, idipmide water tablets to counteract the metaformine, statines, doxisosin, and yes you guessed it Rampril, all at about the top dosage (10mgs), in all 9 tablets in all, 3 in the morning and 6 at night. deep joy.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:03 am »

;D Many of the tablets taken for blood pressure can have some really bad side effects,you might have to change them quite a few times to get one that agrees with you,the worst one for me was beta blockers they made me so ill that I ended up in A&E one night,so if you feel unwell and think it might be the tablets go back to the doctor and change them you are going to be on them for the rest of your life so get the right ones, there are may different pill for B.P. so it is easy to change,Ray. O0 O0 O0   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57:10 am »

46 ay Mike I beat that by 1 year 45 had my heart attack followed by stents being fitted what an experience that was no pain and as soon as it was done I fell 150% better high point was watching it all being done on the monitors worst part was when they squirt that horrible dye into your blood so they can see everything clearer make you all nice and warm in the groin area as if you have peed yourself luckily they warned me about that  but was still uncomfortable metoprolol and asprin and a statin now for the rest of the forseable but hayho great to still be here loads of us out here all had the treatment never met anyone yet who has moaned about the procedure its quite good to talk to others about something that been done to you as well as me we can all relate too.dont want to go through it again though so a big change of life style less rubbish food and more healthy stuff tastes quite as good as the other stuff so not all bad lol

all the best if / when you get to have the procedure mate

Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 11:38:27 am »

I had four stents fitted after my second heart attack...best bit about the whole procedure was having a pretty young nurse standing by me and holding my hand whilst it was being done, describing what was going on. Wire up through the groin, completely painless, and to top it all the surgeon had Pink Floyd's "A momentary lapse of reason" playing on the stereo.
I watched it all happening on the big screen monitor, and even got a copy of it given to me when I went home.

I take seventeen tablets daily which control heart rate, blood thinners, blood pressure, pain killers and muscle relaxants for the RA, medication for the damage done to my digestive system years ago, plus three different types of inhaled medication for the COPD, and medication for Vitamin C deficiency because I can't get outdoors much.

I guess my diet leaves a lot to be desired, I don't like fruit much apart from the odd grape or two now and again, and because I live alone I tend to eat a lot of convenience foods.

Waking up in the mornings is a bonus for me...yes I still smoke, yes I still drink alcohol, but I'm still here.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »

Oh, should have added that the pain killers for the RA can vary between eight and twelve a day, depends on how bad a day I'm having.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 05:29:31 pm »

[quote
Waking up in the mornings is a bonus for me...yes I still smoke, yes I still drink alcohol, but I'm still here.
Rich

We went on holiday to Whitby, recently, but had to curtail our normal 7 days away as we had already booked up for a concert at the Derngate complex in Northampton. It was one of the 70's evenings with quite a few famous names, We drove back the 200 miles home down a very wet M1, got our breath back and then went off to the theatre.

The concert started with the compere announcing that one star, Gerry Marsden, could not appear as he had developed double pneumonia while on a holiday in the sun to prepare for the show's tour. Also sadly announced that Brian Poole had been taken seriously ill while at the previous venue and again would be missing.  The show proceeded with a bit of a mix and match of artistes ( P.J. Proby and the Pacemakers !!! etc)  He sang 2 up tempo songs then could hardly speak until he could get his breath back

High spot of the evening was The Searchers, with two of the original cast and a couple of younger members. They played a couple of numbers straight off , then did a bit of chat which went a bit like " We would normally say that it is nice to be in Northampton, but with me at 70 and him (indicating the other original member) at 73, it's just great to be ANYWHERE"

Does make you think, doesn't it.  I am 63, diabetic and on metformin and statins. Just had my annual MOT and awaiting the results, hopefully "see you again next year". Like most years , my blood pressure was up when first taken as I get a bit anxious as I know that they are going to take an armful of blood and despite 25 years in the NHS I still don't like needles!. Nurse sits and chats about this and that and then retakes it , by which time it has come down to a more sensible , if not ideal level.

One of the joys of being older is facing mortality and making the most of what you have for as long as you can !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »

so he chats to me for a while about fishing or such stuff and repeats test, and its normal again.

Where the hell do you find a GP who has time to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Colin

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »

Where the hell do you find a GP who has time to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Colin

I do miss my old GP who used to do the same. When I used to get uncomfortable with how long I had been in with him, he used to say that as he was the Senior partner in the practice , the others had to live with it.

At the time, the part of the NHS I worked for had another local GP as its manager and he and my GP had basic disagreements how community services should be run. The discussions in the surgery got quite interesting sometimes!

It is only fair to say that nowadays , Gp's are under immense time pressures and personally, I think that it is a hard way to earn a crust.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.