Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stripping lacquer and paint  (Read 4414 times)

Mike0001

stripping lacquer and paint
« on: December 29, 2014, 12:53:21 pm »

Have a boat that my son is doing for college thanks to member on here

Now first up was to strip paint

we thought nitromors,, well this stuff used to be great now I don't think it could strip anything did not have any effect, we had the fairy power spray in the house which reading on here seemed to work for some members.... but no effect

got out the power sander ( one with triangular head ) well it took paint off the coming but did not touch the paint even with very rough sandpaper

so what to use guys ? must be something we can buy off the shelf to strip this boat  :-))

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: stripping lacquer and paint
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »

A hot air stripper used very carefully should go a long way to getting through the paint. Just heat until the paint softens but not bubbles, then use a scraper to remove the soft paint.

After that, use the sander again.

Good luck

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

This is the stuff you NEED took over 15 layers of paint off with this stuff on a door where Nitromous would even tickle it...I have used this to great effect on all manner of Paints....for goodness sake DO NOT USE on PLASTICS  O0 O0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustins-Strypit-Paint-Varnish-Remover-Stripper-/271477321798

I know this is an Ebay link but this is the stuff to use you will get hold of it in ANY decent Painter and decorators shop ....sometime it is sold in B&Q but if you got an old fashioned ironmongers they usually have it in stock

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »

If you are stripping plastic, then I recommend Desolvit Graffiti remover, which you can get at Screwfix.

A lot of folk restoring old R/C cars use this to strip paint on the plastic bodies.

Not cheap, but safe on pretty much all thermoplastics- it's designed for removing graffiti off polycarbonate glazing. Stipple it on and leave overnight in a bag. Very thick paint will usually need a couple of applications.

Mike0001

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »

hi

Thanks for replies, should have said 36 inch raf fire boat.

Son is going to refurb it mainly at college but we have started to strip it over Christmas and New year to get him a head start

wooden boat  , blue on top, black sides and red bottom

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:40 pm »

On a wooden hull I would use sandpaper, and hand block it. 60 grit will soon have the paint off.

An electric heat gun can also be handy on wood, but watch you don't burn the wood.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:15:24 pm »

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:32:03 am »

I have had good luck stripping plastics and metal with spray on oven cleaner.
"Easy Off" oven cleaner is a local brand....
 :-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:08:56 am »

A caustic solution like oven cleaner will work on some paints. Old brake fluid is another technique, but can make some plastics brittle.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:46 pm »

One container of suitable size (wheely bin is ideal) 3boxes of caustic soda crystals from B&Q. Fill bin to level of boat with warm water, add the crystals, stand clear and wait for the thermonuclear reaction to subside! Then add boat. Check every30 minutes, the paint will soon be off, once clean power wash or thoroughly rinse with clean water and sponge.

This has the added benefit of also cleaning the wheely bin, pour the liquid slowly into outside drains or Gulley's to also remove fat/dirt built up. Don't pour the last 6 inches away, this has paint residue decant this into plastic 1litre milk bottles and take to local council recycle centre.
Don't worry about it going down the drain, its sold as drain cleaner!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.