Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Newbie - depends on the definition  (Read 1753 times)

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
A Newbie - depends on the definition
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:34:19 pm »

OK - I'm a noob here - a noob to boats not at all - last boat I built though was Smit Rotterdam back in 1983'ish - so not exactly a novice, but then again ..

Now the kids have flown the nest I find myself getting back into some old habits - boy has technology moved on, can't say I care overmuch for the pre made hulls - takes all the fun out of it but I guess it leaves you free to concentrate on other stuff and there are still some nice kits out there although the laser cutting has removed some of that fun too ..

Oh well - getting back in the game, hope to spend a bit of time here annoying everyone - gotta annoy somebody, kids are gone and the wife's immune  ok2

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A Newbie - depends on the definition
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:42:22 pm »

Hi Ben I'm with you with pre-made hull's.  Good luck with your new venture what ever you choose

Oh - And my the force be with you  ok2

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »

Well I already got me a couple of multirotors and a Pro DFC 450 class helicopter - now I want a boat or two ... I still have the Smit Rotterdam but she has suffered a bit from little fingers, a divorce and 3 house moves so the hull is fine but the fittings are shot - and you can't buy the darn things as a separate box anymore. The wife needs to have a child around - at least that's what I tell her.

If I source the necessaries I'll do a refurb, I did want a lot of good photographs of the real one, dry dock pic's of the rudders and props because I know the Billing ones are incorrect (wrong prop type, incorrect nozzle and rudder configuration) - but they beached and scrapped it back in September this year. I have a fair few of the superstructure.

As for the force - what can I say - been a Sci Fi fan all my life. 

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:13:27 pm »

Welcome to the mad house, Watch out for Martin his shirts will give you eye strain  :-)

I build scratch and kits with moulded hulls, each a different skill set. Do your own thing. Nicads are gone 2.4 is in and brushless motors crop up all over.  tempis fugit but just enjoy
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.