Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which boat should I get?  (Read 8774 times)

croakle

Which boat should I get?
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:05:21 pm »

Hello all

I have been looking at getting a kit for some time and am a bit unsure what to go for.? I don't want a war ship, or cargo, or a fast boat, or a trawler which really only leaves tugs which I'm ok with but would go for older single screw for ease of build.? The amount of support and advice from the maker is almost as important to me as the quality of the kit and because of this I (think I) have decided on Model Slipway or Mobile Marine Models.? If MS I think it would be the Envoy class, if MMM would be Canning, Jan or Gribbin Head.? I have not seen any of these models in the flesh but from the pictures I lean towards the aesthetics of the MS Envoy class or MMM Jan.? However, from a practical point of view can see the benefts of Gribbin Head as it is quite a bit smaller but not so nice looking.? I hope to visit MMM later this week to have a look but I'm still not sure which to get.

I would be really grateful for any advice, comments, words of wisdom, etc.

Best wishes

Julian

AlanB

Re: Which boat should I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »

I have made models from both of these manufacturers and to be honest the support from both is great.

With an MS (model slipway) kit, it is all in the box so to speak and is a case of following the instructions. So for a clean build, with all the parts marked and available from day one, go for the MS kit.

With a MMM kit, there is a fair degree of hands on building eg transfering the plans to plyboard and cutting the wood etc.The MMM models are semi kits and a bit of ingenuity is required when building

I would say that the final decision has to be made on what model you like the look of most and the amount of work you want to do.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:10:57 pm »

Croakle give Brian a ring at MMM to make sure he is going to be there as if he is going to or comeing from a show the isn't anybody in the workshop , I have a Lady Woos and she sails very well no experience with the other manufacturer
                   Cheers
                       Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:34 pm »

Julian,
Only having experience with Model Slipways kits (so far!) I would tend to 'lean' in their favor.  They were very helpful/supportive during my build, and except for the usual, glue, paint, etc, their kits are very complete.  I've only seen one other manufacturor with better instructions (and that particular company doesn't offer the same 'style' or detailing as MS does, not exactly the same 'class' of kit if that makes sense). Best advice I can think of is that if you like building, pick the kit that you like the best.  Some lits require more 'nuilding' than others, but that's half the fun.
 - 'Doc

PS - MS's helpfulness deserves some explanation.  I'm not really 'happy' unless I can complain about something.  That does not mean that whatever it is is actually a problem, in most cases it's because I decided to 'improve' something and end up in a mess.  I didn't complain to MS, they contacted me to offer help and free parts!  If that isn't exceptional, I don't know what is.  I'm also 'blessed' with a conscience so didn't take them up on their offer (@#$$, it was my fault, not theirs!).  All this certainly sounds like the advertising department and for that I'm sorry.  I just can't get over their thoughtfulness.

PPS - After modifying this post several times, and still finding misspelled stuff, I ain't responcible for spelling!

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:10:08 pm »

Julian

If you are near enough, then Mobile Marine Models will be at Branston Water Park, Burton on Trent, on Monday 29th May for their Open Day. Not only they, but many examples of their models will be on display and in use on the water.

Let me know if you want directions.

Barrie

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:12:45 pm »

Both companies are very good at what they do, fortunately they both do models slightly differently.
Really boils down to your choice of a kit or semi-kit.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

croakle

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I think I am decided on an all in the box kit rather than a semi-kit which is something I hadn't really thought about so that narrows it down to Model Slipway even though Envoy is quite a hefty size.  Also it's nice to know my impressions about the level of support offered by both manufacturers is high.? I think at the moment I am more of an assembler than a builder but hopefully if I get on well I can move on.? I know someone who does plank on frame and has offered to show me how it's done and may take him up on it.? Do I sound like a real modeller yet?? Planning the next one before I've even got the first.

Barrie I had hoped to get to Branston Water Park as I will be in the area on Fri - Sun but unfortunately cannot stay for Monday.? Oh well.  I hope you have a really good day.

Best wishes

Julian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.