Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1102 times)

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
Hello
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

Good morning Ladies and Gents,

Just to introduce myself. I am not exactly a new member. I have been on here a little, a while ago, but lost my password and the email account the reminder was sent to, but such is life!

I spend 16 years in the Merchant Navy and an now a Civil Servant, but soon to retire!!

I have been a R/C boat modeller off and on since the 1970's and my first R/C boat was Matchbox Flower Class corvette. I think I was one of the first people to do the R/C bit with this kit, in about 1977, IIRC.

Since then I have built (and still own) a Northlight puffer (1:32), a Khye Rhea coaster (1:32), a HDML (1:24), 2 scratch built TID tugs, 1 in 1:36 (it was supposed to be in 1:32 but I messed up the scaling from a 1:24 plan!), the second in 1:48, a Flower Class corvette in 1:48 (95% complete) and I'm just finishing off another Flower Class, Revel kit, as is now, in 1:72. Short foc's'le version, which has proved more problematic than I first thought.

My first radio (still on my workshop shelf) was a Digimac II. Anyone still remember them? I now have a 2.4Ghz transmitter that I use for several models. A vast improvement!

As you can see I have a variety of scales in my collection but I am now going to standardise on one, 1:48, as that seems the best compromise to me between being far too fiddly (1:96) and being far too big for anything other than a launch type model (1:24).

When I have finished the corvette I plan to go back to 1:48 and build an Envoy tug. Radiojoe's thread has been an inspiration! Thanks Jo. I might trouble you for advice on the way!

Well, happy boating everyone. Spring is on it's way.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:00 am »

:} Welcome back mate,hope you enjoy your time here,as you know we all help each other out as best we can with problems in building and sailing model boats as I say there is always something to learn,I have been at it since 1960s and there are people on here who know far more than me so anything that your stuck with and someone will know the answer to that problem,   Ray :} :} :} :}     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:30 am »

Welcome back.  Sorry we lost you in the depths of the interweb.  :}   Mind you... we were all lost yesterday.  It's a devious place.

We'd love to see some pictures, so get filming and posting, if you have the time.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:16 pm »

Thanks everyone. I'll get my son to show me how to get pictures off my camera SD card and upload them on here. I could work it out for myself but getting him to do just seems easier.  :}

I was looking at Radiojoe's pictures of his tug. The detail and workmanship is amazing and all the more so when you realise that the photos are probably 2 or 3 times life size! Not sure my models could stand that level of scrutiny!

Talking about detailing, I come from a static scale model backgound (Airfix kits in the 1960's) and moved to R/C to get them mobile. I always tended to build in too much fagile detail only to get it damaged at the lakeside (I spent more time in the workshop than on the lake). So for a working model, less detail, a glass case exhibition model, more. I now have a rule that if it looks ok at 6 feet, that's good enough. That's my standard anyway. I'm sure others will have their own views!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.