Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The sinking of Coventry  (Read 4438 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
The sinking of Coventry
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:01:17 am »

I’ve read an article about the proposed making of a film of the sinking of HMS Coventry, (not sure why they left out Sheffield), in the article they said they had done some filming of HMS Edinburgh to represent Coventry, in their words because the two ships are “near identical” the footage shows her cutting though the water and doing fast tight turns etc.  They also say the footage will be digitally changed to correct any differences, well I hope they have Mr Spielberg on board because it will take some of his magic to make a modified batch 3 to look like an unmodified batch 1, %%  even taking into account the obvious differences like 50 odd feet longer, much extended fore deck with raised bow, stiffening beams, no boat davits , and square transom, there are a lot more smaller differences, I mention these for those who may not be familiar with the type 42's , the film is supposed to be released sometime next year, it will be interesting to see if they manage it, but one glimpse of a stiffening beam or square transom will spoil the illusion for me. :o

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The sinking of Coventry
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:49 am »

As long as it is painted grey 99% of the viewers won't notice the difference!

Presumably the Battle of the River Plate is also spoiled for you with USS Salem as Graf Spee, Jamaica as Exeter and Sheffield as Ajax!  ok2

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:47:07 am »

Yes I was aware of these Colin, it's just because Coventry is more of interest to me as I'm currently building her and the incident was in my time,
I know there are a lot of war films that use a lot of "artistic licence".  %%

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »

I know there are a lot of war films that use a lot of "artistic licence".

Usually they don't have much option in circumstances like these. At last the film makers in this case aren't trying to substitute a Daring so you have to give them a bit of credit for the effort!

I agree it can be a bit off putting when you know exactly what the real ship should look like but, like Father Christmas, you just have to suspend belief a bit! The important thing will be to see if they get the story itself right as that is where I take issue with the 'artistic licence' excuse. The U571 film depicting the capture of an Enigma machine by the Americans rather than the British was unforgivable in this respect.

I don't suppose the sinking of Sheffield makes such a good story, the ship was hit unexpectedly and later abandoned after unsuccessful attempts to fight the fires.  Coventry's loss occurred in rather different circumstances under battle conditions - as in fact did many of the other Falklands war losses.

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »

I agree with you there, if they are going to tell the story it should be correct and not lost in dramatization, my Daughters father-in-law who was on board at the time can tell some chilling accounts.  {:-{

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 04:17:05 pm »

The U571 film depicting the capture of an Enigma machine by the Americans rather than the British was unforgivable in this respect.

I take it you never saw the directors interview when it was released?
Apparently he read the story of how the enigma had been captured but felt it had to be rewritten to make it more believable!  <*< <*< <*<

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 05:14:42 pm »

but, like Father Christmas, you just have to suspend belief a bit!

you've just shattered my dreams colin.........what am I going to do next year, <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:23 pm »

Apparently he read the story of how the enigma had been captured but felt it had to be rewritten to make it more believable!

Rather more likely he felt that American audiences wouldn't have been interested if the Brits were shown as the heroes.

Colin

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:28:48 am »

Bit like the Routemaster bus that turned up in Foyle's War  >>:-( Sorry for the deviation.  <*<

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 02:54:22 pm »

Or the American Half Tracks that appear in Ice cold in Alex...................but gladly I don't watch a film to pick holes in the continuity or props........I watch them to enjoy so long as the effort has been made to make it all look reasonably real.................but then again, I'm not a rivet counter with my models either. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

hunkin

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »

Really interested to follow this tread - I have a close friend who served on this vessel - I am not sure what his reaction will be and wonder if at any time those who make such films actually speak to those survivors who were there.  There is an vibrant web site for HMS Coventry for those who really want to know how it was for those who served in this vessel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.