Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED / Fibre Optic ...  (Read 13309 times)

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
Re: LED / Fibre Optic ...
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »

EL cable Does not get hot very flexible - you can get splitters etc so you can plumb it- joint it etc I think

Pretty cool stuff
Jonathan

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 11:03:26 pm »

http://proto-pic.co.uk/lime-green-el-wire-2-5-metres/

EL Wire, also known as Electroluminescent wire is a stiff wire core coated with phosphor and then covered with a protective PVC sheath. When an AC signal is applied to it, it glows an aqua (blue green) color. You can make it look different colors by changing the coating, for example this is a vivid lime green. It looks a little like thin neon. Very bendable, it keeps its shape and you can curl it around your finger. Its an easy way to add some glow to a project, not as bright as LEDs but uses a lot less power!
We've got 2.6mm thickness EL wire, with a lime green coat, pre-cut and soldered to a standard quick-connect EL wire. It is made with the latest technology and twice as bright as 'standard' 2.3mm EL - running it at 1.5KHz/90V it emits 123 cd/m^2 or light and a half-life (50% brightness reduction) after 3000 hours of continuous use. Draws about 10mA per meter. The capacitance is about twice that of 'standard' EL, 11 nF/m so if you're using an inverter, it will drive only half as much high brightness wire as standard.
Often used for costuming, decoration, accent lighting, safety vests, bicycle/motorcycle/car/boat/home decoration, signs, etc! This wire is not designed explicitly for outdoor use so it will fade if continuously exposed to UV.

To use, the wire must be connected to an inverter that provides an AC supply of approximately 100V at 2000 Hz. This wire is 250 cm long which is the maximum that can be driven by our handy 2xAA portable pocket inverter The full length draws 200mA from the 2xAA batteries (so 2000mAh batteries will last ~10 hours if on 'constant' mode)

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 11:14:12 pm »

Hi,

I bought one these evaluation kits:-

http://shop.surelight.com/3_piece_el_wire_evaluation_kit.htm

They work very well, but now I'm just trying to think of an application on my boats. Batteries were included with mine!

Ian

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:52 pm »

A very INTERESTING product indeed

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »

I bought one of those electric wire things a few years ago... I wonder where it is.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 12:19:31 am »

MMMM you didnt get rid of it when you had the MEGGA shed clearence did you Martin

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 12:46:40 am »

I bought one of those electric wire things a few years ago... I wonder where it is.

Switch it on and it will show up %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:07 am »

Led light pipe plus if possible tri colour led would be really neat -just pick your colour  :embarrassed:

boman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 07:52:57 am »

FWIW, I bought a cheap lamp years ago. It had a plastic chrome base and about 200 fine fibre optic wires attaches. More than I will ever need. You can bend them well, as long as you do not kink and the light still comes out the end. You also get a battery operated light source too..

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 10:06:30 am »

This link - http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Solder-EL-Electroluminescent-Wire/#step0 - talks cheerfully about using a battery pack with no mention of AC.  Or volts or current for that matter.  In situ on a boat, it might just be as fault prone as anything else, but more difficult to service.
Years ago I was involved in making a control panel for a model rail layout - we used a lot of fibre for the route indication.  That was offcuts from a "horses tail lamp" manufacturer, thus cheap and plentiful.  Exchange & Mart was a wonderful thing back then.  We used mini lamps as a source due to them being easy to get and a bright light source.  We could get 10 or a dozen fibres into a tubular ferrule (paper sleeve) that was a sliding fit over the bulb.  To maximize the light going into the fibre, since it was plastic rather than glass, we heated the end in a flame and tamped it so it had a conical shape and a flat end.  The other end got the heat treatment but was untamped, forming a bulb.  This arrangement was quite visible in normal light.  As noted before, it did not like tight curves.  I put this down to the stress patterns that formed at the curve giving different reflection/refraction patterns, lighting up the bend rather than allowing the light to the other end.
Edge lit light guides do work well, but you need to make sure that there are absolutely no blemishes anywhere, other than where you want the light to exit.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 10:35:01 am »

This is a neat pack 12volt in

http://proto-pic.co.uk/12v-el-electroluminescent-wire-tape-inverter/
Can power 6m high brightness / 12m normal EL cable

No reason to be fault prone if installed well both physically and electrically
Regards jonathan

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 11:28:49 am »

Fiber optics were used in the sauna roof to give a twinkle to do this all the fibers were brought back to an acrylic rod and the fibers were attached to this by heat shrink . The rod was clamped and a halogen bulb used as a light source , Ultralight Led could be used . Between the light and the acrylic rod was a disk with a pandom pattern of holes and slots all different shapes with coloured film on them ,a motor turned the disk making the lights in the sauna cabin twinkle like stares and all different colours .  This had one bright white light but gave lots of colours . This piece of kit was made by Swervoski the jewelry /binocular people .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »

You can also find elwire, elpanels etc at http://elwirecraft.co.uk/

Good site. Used them before

Declan

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:01 pm »

hi ben K.
 think I have found what you are looking for, in ther B&Q cat an LED flexiblelighting film which you can cut to length.  its just like a roll of double side tape.

frank
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enGB581GB581&q=juniz+flexible+lighting+film

googled some others for comparison
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=juniz+flexible+lighting+film&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enGB581GB581&q=flexible+lighting+film&gs_l=hp..1.41l3.0.0.1.2016410...........0.rEWWnYbxX-c

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 11:15:32 am »

The tapes are sets of three LEDs repeated along the length of the tape with power (12 volts) fed in from one end.  Great for fish tanks and applying full size strip lighting, but I feel that they would be of very limited use on a model.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.