Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: St Cruiser build  (Read 27774 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: St Cruiser build
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

The second lifeboat has now been fitted out and fitted to the starboard side.
A bit more work done on the mast rigging, now only the scale aerial wires to be added to complete this. The line for the steam whistle was added, this is much finer than the other rigging and doesn't show up well in a photo. The lowering housings for the spare oil navigation lights were made up and fitted to the mast as well to basically complete the fore mast. These are white metal fittings made up of 3 parts and glazing had to be added before the bottom could be added.
A bracket for the upper mast was made from alloy tube and cast eyes before fitting to the mast. Two lines could then be run from the bracket to previously fitted eyes to give the lines the lights run on. The halyard for the lights was then run to a cleat on the wheelhouse front and another on the mast.

Jim

ps. the photos are a rather unusual shape as I was using my new mobile as it's phone gives better close ups than my point and shoot camera.
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2015, 09:14:52 pm »

After a bit of a break it was time to get some of the last of the work completed.
The front towing bow could now be fitted to the superstructure, I had been putting this off as it has to be removeable with the superstructure and I was waiting till this was completed and rarely needing removed.
The first step was to glue a magnet into the fitting on the bulwarks. This was half of a 10 x 5 x 1mm neodymium magnet which was easily snapped in two. The bow was laminated from two strips of 1mm ply which held the curve once the glue set. Another magnet was glued on each end to hold them against the bulwark fittings. A strip of 1mm styrene was then added on top and the complete laminate could be spray primed.  It was then glued in place and pinned onto the white metal fitting using some brass pins. Once trimmed and filed smooth it could then be painted the final colour.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »

On to completing the rear deck fittings. There is a cowl vent for the crew accommodation under the rear deck, a cast metal cowl was provided which was rather out of round at its base so a resin cowl from caldercraft was substituted. This was fitted onto a length of plastic tune I had from an old kit and a base made from styrene sheet and some Tamiya masking tape. Once painted it was fitted to the rear deck. I had earlier made a stove pipe from alloy tube and a metal casting. This is not glued in place but uses an alloy tube peg into the deck as it will get in the way if towing.The next step was to make and fit the folding gog eye. This should have been fitted long before now but I had unfortunately managed to lose the origins cast metal base and hadn't got round to making a replacement. I found some electronics prototyping board and cit the base pieces out of that. The cast shackle could then be fitted using a 10BA bolt. After painting this was then fitted to the deck using a 10BA bolt through the deck to give it extra strength.
The final job for today was to complete the rigging, this involved fitting the aerials. The cast blocks provided for the rigging were not that good as blocks but did make good insulators for the ends of the aerials once painted in gloss white.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »

With the Cruiser almost completed some thought was needed to decide on the next model for next years build. Another Mountfleet kit was decided on and ordered. This has now arrived and the box is sitting ready for Christmas. (It is related to the Cruiser although a much simpler kit and will be much easier to build.)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2015, 01:52:58 pm »

I had thought that there might have been a bit of interest in the contents of the box, but no comments so far. It is the Mountfleet Lighter No. 7 . ( A tug needs something to pull!)
First impressions :- a good hull moulding although a couple of thin areas where light comes through.
Wood provided looks good and the white metal fittings are up to standard.
The instruction booklet is lacking, just over 3 A4 sides of text. 3 pages listing parts, a page showing deck beam fitting and 3 A5 photos. There is a full size plan which is basically a scale drawing with no modelling details.
I might do a build thread if there is any interest.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »

Yes there is interest, it is an unusual subject with none so far.

Bob

Officially a GOG.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2015, 04:32:57 pm »

The Hobnobs and X'mass cake are to hand  O0  Build away Jim  :}

Dave

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »

On with some more of the last fiddly bits of detail that I haven't got around to yet.
The first re the fire buckets that mount on the boat deck. These are metal castings that needed a couple of holes drilled and a handle made from brass wire and fitted. They could then be painted an appropriate red colour before labelling with the finest brush I have. They could then be fitted to the rack already fitted.
There are also 6 lifebelts to fit, these are again metal castings although the grab rope round them is not moulded, only the rope wrapping round the belt. I used a 0.9mm drill to drill angled holes each side of the wrapping to allow a line to pass through. I used a doubled length of thin brass to pull the line through the hole. The ends of the line were glued into one of the holes after it was evenly spaced round the disc. It could then be painted before fitting in place.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »

Love all the details, what a beautiful tug- and that's from someone who's not a big tug fan.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »

Thanks Boathound, I think that the older steam tugs have much better looks than the modern ones.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Tugboat Bob

• Shipmate
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2016, 03:35:11 pm »

Hi JimG just looking at your model tug cruiser, fab model may i ask you if i can use your photos for Reference to my tug build  as i am restoring a 1/24 scale model of a birch class tug. Empire Tug as many of the fittings were similar, ROB.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2016, 07:19:38 pm »

Hi Rob, thanks for the comment, feel free to use the photos for reference if they are any use. Show us your rebuild as I'me sure you can help others with the way you do things.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2016, 02:34:46 pm »

Just a little bit nearer to being completely ready for the water. The captain has now joined the ship. This is an excellent resin casting from CMK obtained from Cornwall Model Boats. He was intended for railway use but looks right for a tug. He was painted using Vallejo acrylic paints, these are really easy to use and as they come in dropper bottles you can use just a few drops at a time. I have 3 more figures to paint and add although at least one of them will be added to the Mountfleet lighter,
A pin has been glued into one leg, this will be glued into a hole in the deck to give a stronger fitting.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:07 pm »

Another crew member now joined, again another CMK resin casting, I'm still not sure just where to place him or just what he will end up doing.
I recently bough a set of rust paints intended for vehicles so decided to do a bit of weathering around the anchor. The anchor is an Aeronaut metal casting, initially painted black before adding some rust in the areas most likely to have damaged paint. The anchor recess was also rusted where the paint was likeliest to be damaged on raising and lowering the anchor.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2016, 09:40:32 pm »

Found a job for the new crew member, some paintwork needing touched up so time to give him a paint can. This was made from a section of alloy tube with a plasticard bottom. A handle was made from brass wire and some Plasticine was added inside the can to fill it up. A fine hole was drilled in the figures hand to allow him to carry the can. A paint brush was shaped from  some 2mm square wood strip and painted with acrylics, unfortunately too small for my camera to photograph. The can was painted on the outside then some Humbrol gloss white was added to the inside and the brush balanced on top.
The figure was then fixed going up the steps to the boat deck.  A wire was glued into the leg the glued into a hole in the deck to give a more secure fixing.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »

Today I decided to try out something different. My intention is to have a camera fitted to allow filming from the boat while it is running. The camera I am using is the Runcam HD which saves the video onto a microSD card but also has a video out which allows it to be connected to a video transmitter.
I bought a 25mW 5.8GHz video transmitter to use with this camera and it needed a suitable mounting for this. I decided that the Tx mount would fit in place of the coaling hatch on the rear deck, it will be held in place using more small magnets. A new hatch was made using 1/16 ply with the Tx aerial mounting through the hatch. The transmitter module was mounted on top of the hatch and was raised up to allow air flow for cooling as the module does become warm in use.. The transmitter is powered by a 3 cell 950mAh lipo which is fitted in place of the battery for the navigation lights, again using magnets.
To see the video I have a suitable 5.8GHz scanning receiver which is connected to a 10inch LCD monitor. At the moment the monitor uses a wallwart transformer to provide 12V but this will be replaced with a 3S lipo once I get a suitable connector. The lipo will power both the the monitor and receiver. This setup does not give sound onshore although the camera will record sound.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:33 pm »

Now that flying weather is here there hasn't been much boat modelling done, some poorer weather has allowed for adding a bit more detail.
The rigging for the lifeboats needed to added so it was time to fit this. The cast blocks provided are rather rough and look somewhat oversized so rather than spend a lot of time reworking them I bought some metal ones from Cornwall Model Boats. These are from the Cap Maquettes range of working metal blocks. As they come they are rather shiny so were first painted with a mixture of silver and black acrylics to give a metallic grey finish.
Brass wire was used to make the fixing of the upper block to the davit and hooks for the lower blocks. Once the upper blocks were fitted into holes drilled through the davit the upper rigging line was fitted.
The lowering tackle was then fitted through the blocks and tied off at cross bollards behind the boat. This is when waiting to do this at the end proved to be a major disadvantage. Running the cord round the bollard proved to be very difficult due to the amount of other rigging and fitting getting in the way. The ends are just glued and cut short at the moment and will need coils made up and fitted over the bollards.
At the moment only 3 of the lowering tackles have been fitted as only three of the lower blocks were available and the last one will have to be bought when they come back in stock.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

After quite a wait the Cruiser finally made it to the pond last Sunday. It proved to sail well and Edmund managed to get a video of it on the water. Thanks Edmund.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSI60Tu9Vo
Unfortunately after about 10 minutes running the motor mount broke loose from the hull causing drive problems. The resin used to bond the printed mount to the hull did not stick well to the PLA plastic used and it appeared that the torque of the motor was too much for the bond. I'm now looking for a more suitable glue to use for this tat can take the strain.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.