Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'New' Mountfleet Models. OSPREY.  (Read 5391 times)

rob

• Full Mayhemer
'New' Mountfleet Models. OSPREY.
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:47:54 am »

A very atmospheric 1/24 scale model of an 86ft Steel Drifter as used by the Admiralty in both World Wars.
Having sold 2 kits back to the manufacturer when he needed them, it was time to get hold of another for a new build. I chose the Osprey due to its size ( 43 inches long is a nice handy size) and the sheer beauty of this boat.
So what is in the box ?
A nicely moulded hull with riveting and plating, a bit of flash and snots, but certainly not the worse hull supplied in a kit. . . . Yes , much better than what was supplied a few years ago.

A huge box of white metal fittings that are also better cast than previously. The very heavy windlass that used to be part of this kit has been replaced with a large resin casting ( still with the White metal working bits under the top cover) which to my eyes is a good thing.

The supplied Prop shaft is a nice brass one now, the 4 bladed Prop is now a brass Raboesh one, and the tiller arm is a proper brass collared plastic version. The supplied lifeboat is now much better cast. . . . . Nothing to relegate to the scrap bin anymore !

The printed deck overlay in my kit wasn't the best ( just like before) and my superstructure moulding was damaged by the delivery. . . . . All replaceable so no problem.

The drawings and instructions are as before, so a thinking cap is needed here and there, but should pose no problems to anyone who can read a drawing.

People have seen my previous Mountfleet kit builds ( yes I really like the finished models ) and cast doubts as to the quality of the kits. . . . .

.   Fear ye not any more ! The current Mr Mountfleet is doing a fine job of restoring the good name of these kits in my honest opinion. ( and I'm a picky person when it comes to seeing what my £400 plus has bought)
in my own little world

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'New' Mountfleet Models. OSPREY.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:09:45 am »

good initial review for prospective new modellers wanting the thumbs up.........

now what we want to see is your build log with plenty of photos please. neil.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:42:54 am »

Thankyou Neil,
My request for a second gun was included in the kit box as well.( due to my fetish for wanting to build something different, thus changing a perfectly good kit) My modelled version didn't seem to have the winch fitted, so I may be loosing a very nice part of this kit.
As for the pictures and build log . .. . . . ..that never seems to work when I try ! Plus it's summer and the trike needs exercising, plus if the wife sees me taking pics she might notice it's a different model from the last one she noticed and find me gardening/decorating needing doing etc etc etc

in my own little world

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »

Good to hear that Adam is working on the quality of some of the pieces. I built the Highlander just over two years ago, lent him some castings back after the fire, and then built the Ben Ain over the last year. I agree that they are very nice kits when complete but a re-write of some of the instructions would be helpful in places. It really does seem like parts were written by The Ancient Mariner! A bit busy this summer with house modernisations but I am seriously thinking about Lowgarth in the autumn.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.