Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burutu - Gobbing Bollard  (Read 3215 times)

turner

• Shipmate
Burutu - Gobbing Bollard
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »

Hi

My plans for this tug state "Gobbing Bollard" on the stern deck but there are no details of it.

nothing shows on a google search

many of the other burutu builds seem to have a large winch in addition to the winch positioned just forward of the tow hook

What does a gobbing bollard look like ?

Is this reasonable - if a little bit different ?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Burutu - Gobbing Bollard
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:21:00 pm »

I have absolutely no idea what a gobbing bollard is {:-{ , but here are a couple of photos of Burutu, as built by one of our club members, Peter Barlow. They may be of some use to you, or not, as the case may be :-)

Peter.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:01:12 am »

I assume that a gobbing bollard is used to secure a gobbing rope.  A gob rope is also known as a girting, girding or gogging rope (depending where abouts in the country you are).  I think the correct term is a Bridle rope which is a secondary rope used to secure the main tow cable to prevent it moving sideways which can actually cause the tug to capsize. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

turner

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:53:56 am »

Thankyou gents details appreciated.  think I will tone mine down a bit but keep just a little artistic license.

David

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:17:47 pm »

Gog Rope in action on a model tug. One of tugmad's tugs towing  at Bluewater

and on a full size tug

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:51:19 am »

Doesn't that connection to the cleat cause terrific strain. ?

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

I think you will find that most, if not all cleats/bollards on vessels, are usually capable of holding the full propeller power of the vessel.

That would mean that the angular pull of a line preventing an overturn would be less force than a direct full throttle pull.

'Springing off' a quay is exactly the same sort of load, a line from say the forward cleat/bollard on the quay side of the vessel, to a bollard on the quay further back than amidships will when all the other lines are let go and the power put in forward, bring the stern out and away from the quay.
This is an action regularly carried out by most vessels.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:45:47 am »

Thank you for that info. Very interesting.  It is an angular pull so the force would be less than on the big hook.  (I come from the  'belts and braces'  brigade)     :}

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 12:44:17 am »

My two penny'th for what its worth I have worked on tugs that have a gob-eye abaft the post or cleat to stop the upward or outward lead of the gob rope slipping off or jamming the turns on, the gobbling eye being a nice heavy casting or just a bent 1" bar welded into the deck, the latter was on a tug I was working on and caused me to come close to depositing my guts into my pants as when I was working as stern tug going into the south west india dock entrance decided to part company with the deck and the tug being on a pull at an angle went over… and over.. and being a light boat took a sheer and the dock pier head stopped me and managed to get my stern under the tow rope and the mate managed to get another rope over the tow rope and the way was off the tow so we could jury rig the got to get the rest of the job done.. I went from being a 20 a day man to a 60 a day man in some 10 minutes…
PS hope everyone has a happy new year for 2015 and plain sailing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.