Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what a quandary  (Read 4835 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
what a quandary
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »

Since taking early retirement I have spent my time as you do gardening boat building and in the local bar. However 2 years ago my son bought me a new electric axe (guitar) as I casually mentioned I wouldn't mind jamming with him, I hadn't touched a guitar for 35 years! Anyway he's now laid down the challenge, I have to be able to play again by the time he comes to visit in August. Hmmmm can I fit everything into the time frame? I guess come Sunday and our first day back in Spain will mean devoting a couple of hours a day to learning chords again.

Its a wonderful feeling knowing your family loves you!  :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: what a quandary
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:16 pm »

With my fingers now, it would have to be slide guitar.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:48:09 pm »

Hi,
   This reminds me of a conversation a few years ago in my local pub, my mate pete and I (both of us play a bit) were talking about the chords used in "The weight" from the film Easy rider played by The Band one of which is G#minor Les a guy we both know shouted across the pub "What happened to C,F and G? Les couldn't get over the amount of chords used nowadays. good luck and I hope your fingers don't get too sore.
      Cheers,
         Peter. :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »

Bert Wheedon comes to mind ,good program on radio 4 the other night . All the people he inspired payin tribute to him.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »

I would have loved to have learned to play the guitar but my one and only foray into the  task was spoiled by an horrendous sight that used to greet me and my fellow class mates, to the point where we would have to repair to the bar and blank it from our brains on a weekly basis with copious amounts of brown and bitter..............twas whilst at college, and as a group my education group were put through a course.........the course leader was an aging woman of more than very ample proportions who used to sit in front of us with legs wide apart, stockings like norah battye's, ..... visible at the thigh with her own guitar sat between her thighs........the thought of that sight even now makes me feel like giving up women for life...

sad to say, my own and the small group of young impressionable men that attended the course had eyes for only.......ANYTHING,  but where they should have been........on our music scores in front of us.......and the only shield from an horrendous vision..............needless to say I never learned the guitar, and the vision still haunts me............ %% %% %% {-) {-) {-) {-) :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »

BrianB6......I still have my '86 Sunburst Telecaster...have been attempting to teach a 6 YO grand son.....without much success as he wants to play Rolling Stones songs without having lessons  >>:-( Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:27:16 pm »

Perhap you can practice up on arpeggios with this girl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4pZBmI_gU

:o

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 09:49:36 am »

She sure makes that guitar sing, I admire people like her, I knew a guy years back who was the brother-in-law of a friend he looked like Roy Wood from Wizard he had big hands with sausage fingers but give him a guitar and name a song and he'd belt it out note perfect, I thought I'll get him and said The War of the Worlds, he was still playing it 8 minutes later.  ok2

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:51:04 pm »

Yeh, I know where you re coming from when you see that dedication ad skill level you think why do I bother. My fingers don't respond at a tenth of that speed but remember she probably has only one interest and good luck to her. Any of us so called guitarists have to pick up the instrument daily to keep whatever level of skill you are at, me I don't pick mine up often enough but still enjoy it.
     Cheers,
           Peter.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:36 pm »

That's a beautiful Tele Derek, are you sure you want a youngster playing it? Be better to buy him one of his own but make it a tele lookalike!
Rolling Stones are a good place to start but you may have trouble finding tabs for the songs, as a band they are very protective of their music and no tabs have been published in the guitar magazines for about 20 years. Coming from Oz you have one of the best rock bands on the go with AC/DC, whats more there are loads of tabs and backing tracks to be downloaded for free!
Back in Spain now and hallelujah back to my laptop and no fiddly touchscreen on a tablet, much better. I'll take a pic of my Vintage and post it tomorrow.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 06:22:11 pm »

another master of the guitar :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvG1i79CPc

I tried and failed to copy this track on many occasions
Then this happened and now guitar playing is right out.

I now have reduced mobility in my little finger which causes it to catch on the strings :(

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 06:26:51 pm »

Oh dear,
    Not good news, think George Formby and ukele, this may help. Remember Brian May and "good company" with his dads uke he took to war what a man!
     Cheers,
         Faz.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:52:03 am »

That doesn't look good mate. But take comfort from Tony Iommi, he learned to play again with two finger tips chopped off, Black Sabbath never looked back.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 08:43:41 am »

Ouch!
     I find it hard enough playing with all my fingers in tact. Hope it all heals okay.
          Cheers,
               Peter. {:-{
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.