Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Electronics in Australia  (Read 3089 times)

Aussieboatguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Action Electronics in Australia
« on: January 04, 2015, 03:37:43 am »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a distributor in Australia? Their website makes mention of one in regards to their high power speed controller (Darke Horse Models) but they have seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
A web search only brings up a link to an old 2007 catalog.

Cheers Brendan

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Re: Action Electronics in Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:00:41 am »

John Darke is in Brisbane but effectively closed Darke Horse Hobbies some time ago.

Aussieboatguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:51:10 am »

Thanks for that. I sort of figured that as I had heard that he started it up after he retired. I might try to track him down and see if he still has any old stock. I believe he stocked some pretty powerful motors as well.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:53 am »

I spoke to hom some months ago re motors & gearboxes and all he does now is for members of his model boat club.
Just a thought but you said their website. Did you mean Action themselves or the Component Shop who bought Action from Dave?
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:08:38 am »

%) from another thread here on MBM.......

Shane......without stealing the thread...[Mark T] who I know will not mind ok2......buying from Component Shop in the UK from OZ is a breeze

1. good response to your e-mail enquiry
2. UK postage to OZ is not really that expensive...you get a firm quotation prior to you order
3. ten days from order to reciept
4. no association to the designer  :o , or proprietor of Component Shop

Just another happy customer with ACTion products  :-)) ........... Derek.....  O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Aussieboatguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:13:45 am »

The action web site, it references them as their Australian agents in the p98 description. I am actually moving up the way from Victoria in the coming months and will be joining a club Up that ways so I might bump into him some time.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:19:24 am »

As Derek said, direct from the Component Shop is best. I think the old action site is only kept there so you can access wiring diagrams etc.
John is (was) a member of Triple S.  http://triple-s.org.au/

Aussieboatguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 06:23:05 am »

Thanks Derek, looks like that's the road I will have to travel. It's a pity as the old catalog I saw had some great stuff, particularly the big motors. I would have liked a couple of them in my tug "Bossy Bitch". Someone suggested naming my boat after my missus so she could feel involved in my hobby. So I did. She was not amused  {-)

Thanks mud, I visited the sss today actually, only a few sailing guys there so I didn't hang around long. Thought it wasn't my scene but may have to revisit after I move.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:54 am »

I've been trying to get the motors and gearboxes from him for about 9 months. He does reply to the email address on the catalogue I have (same as yours) but not very often.  :((
In September he said no motors but he should have some in (may be) in February. The gearboxes he makes himself in his workshop once he has the motors.

inertia

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 08:56:40 am »

As Mudway says the old ACTon website is there only for access to the wiring diagrams. I updated these a while ago and sent the new ones to Component Shop for incorporation into their website once the hosting fee for the ACTion website runs out later this year.
As far as I know all of the ACTion items on the website are still available from Component Shop.
I have a couple of John's 785 geared motors (3:1) with mounts, couplings etc doing nothing. The shipping cost to Oz would be pretty steep (£50-£70) but if you want to go that route then send me a PM and maybe we can arrange something.
DM

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:21 am »

Brendan,

There is a sailing club the other side of town at Logan. Which may be a suitable alternative.

Nick_75au who regularly posts here is a member and they have an actual sail day, Sailboats, on Wednesday mornings, at least last time I looked.

I am sort of midway between Boondall and Waterford, so have been to both. However Logan City council is very supportive of the Logan City Marine Modellers boat club.

Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.