Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tenacity of the SKY broadband salesman  (Read 5705 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Tenacity of the SKY broadband salesman
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:28:04 pm »

Phone call this morning............barely gave me time to breath.

Dring dring........

Hello?

Hello! ( in a far east call center) Is that Mr Prit.......card?

No! this is Mr Howard - Pritchard!!

Hello, I am not trying to sell you anything but would love two minutes of your time!

OK!

Do you have SKY broadband, Telephone or TV in your house Sir?

Let me interrupt you there, but I would never have anything in my house that Rupert Murdoch has any..............bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Didn't even give me chance to get my full sentence out..................No stamina these salesmen anymore...........what ever happened to the likes of the KIRBY Upright Vacuum salesmen who would grill you and clean your whole house in two hours..........now!! they were salesmen, lol  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

inertia

Re: Tenacity of the SKY broadband salesman
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:48 pm »

Mrs M Mk1 used to work in a small office in Loughborough, next door to which (i.e. the other side of a thin partition wall) was the local Kirby sales office. She told me that sales meetings sounded an absolute hoot, always beginning with The Company Song (I merely pass on what I was told) and pausing regularly for what she described as "chants" where all assembled would recite some golden rule from the Kirby Bible. I occasionally encountered folk from this office on the office stairs when collecting She, and they all had that same slightly mad gleam in their eyes. The vacuum cleaners were good and very flash-looking - deep red and plenty of American chrome - but vastly over-priced, presumably to pay this army its commission.
We don't get any sales calls now we've gone Ex-D; I sometimes miss them and their exotic Asian charm.
BTW I completely share Neil's feelings for 'Roop'. I also have Sir Branson and Michael O'Leary on my little list (and the local Sub-Postmaster!)
DM

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:18:10 pm »

If you really want to string them along agree with everything they say.

The clincher for you is to then after all the sales speak, tell them you live in Hull.  They'll look it up on their system and find out that they can't sell you a Skybean never mind broadband, tv or phone!

Hull has exclusivity on all  of those systems through its Kingston Communications company, none of the big names want to pay the inflated prices that KC charge for use of its cable networks, so they just ignore the region completely!

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:42:11 pm »

Hello! ( in a far east call center) Is that Mr Prit

Far East center? Would that be Whitby or Scarborough? {-)

John

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

Just try this especially if they are calling you on a mobile, ask the question "is this call costing me anything to receive?" if they say no put the phone down somewhere preferably a noisy area then go and have a coffee coming back  later on to see if the person is still rabbiting away. I have done this a few times on my mobile and no calls like this have been received for ages since I did it. Hope this helps.
     Cheers,
           Peter. <*<

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:15 pm »

I have an on hold app For just that occasion lol

Currently plays the "blue oyster bar tune" from police academy
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:35:51 pm »

I arrived home once and checked the answering machine.  There was only one message and it lasted 12 minutes.  During this time the young man gave his entire sales pitch in one long uninterrupted spiel and right at the end there was a pause and he said....... "Hello?". 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 09:29:29 am »

with Kirbys spares centre in liverpool calling every other week ( and in some cases every other day), I told the wife to say not for another 6 months to the rep - this had no effect and was winding her up to no end (i'm a mug to have bought one), so now if they call i say have sold it, after two calls we havent had them call since, if i need bags i'll just go on line. simples
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:44 am »

Years ago when we were looking to replace our wooden windows with UPVC double glazed units we contacted several companies for a quote, including photos and dimensions.  Most got back with written quotes.

However, one company as famous on TV ads with "I said, buy one, get one free" were determined to come round first.  They sent a team of two and after re-measuring again gave a very high price.  After almost two hours we still couldn't get shot of them.  Every so often one of them went outside to make a phone call then came back in with a lower quote, eventually half the first quote.  They seemed very teed off that we had not succumbed to their intense sales pressure.

We went with a local firm who gave a very detailed quote with dimensioned illustrations of each unit.  All they wanted was to check the dimensions after we placed the order.  Fair enough.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

Bob, I had some dealings with the same company once, I got a phone call from the other half telling me the mother in law, (her mum) had a sales man sat in her living room.
Being a lorry driver and happened to be local to her at the time I thought I'd drop in for a cuppa, to find this sales man sat in the armchair and the whole living room floor covered in his samples.

After I gave him a few home truths he had the nerve to ask what any of this had to do with me  >>:-(
I checked she hadn't signed anything, then kindly told him to pack up and leave.

He then asked to use the toilet, I said yes but you have 2 minutes then I start to clear your mess off the floor and throw it out. You've never seen someone move so fast once he heard me starting to pick stuff up.

Funny bit was as I marched him up the hallway he did the same, the price was dropping like a stone.
I did help him out with all his stuff though, wasn't my thought the garden gate slammed and hit him square in the back.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

You big bully, Ian...poor salesman, just trying to earn a crust to feed his family   %)

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:30:44 pm »

You big bully, Ian...poor salesman, just trying to earn a crust to feed his family   %)

Rich

Me a bully?  {-)
What really got to me was where she lives there is supposed to be a no cold calling at the front door, as like her there are a lot of oap's, she's in her 70's.

Problem was at the time she did need the bedroom window looking at, as it had blown and there was condensation between the pains. The sales man was push push pushing for the new windows throughout the whole bungalow.
Got to give it to him for trying though, just didn't quite work this time. 

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »

I'd ha done the same ian..........but kept him guessing for at least another hour............would even have suggested he go out for some beers n bring em back to help you mull over it......lol.......then said no. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 01:43:18 pm »

I kept getting calls from a company offering me Solar panels for my roof last year,
kept explaining why I couldn't have them but they kept calling.
a few weeks before Christmas I agreed for the free visit from the "senior" salesman, knowing fine well I was at work
appointment was 11am, 1102 he called rather angry....
firstly I wasn't there but more importantly I had wasted his time as I was a ground floor flat
I responded that while the visit was a waste of HIS time his visit would ensure that his company no longer wasted their time and
more importantly MY time calling me to have the panels installed to a roof I did not have.

no more calls  :-)) :-))

inertia

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »

So much for changing the number and going Ex-D. We had our first cold-call today "Our records show that someone at that number had a motor accident recently".
They won't call again in a hurry, but I would love to know how the hell they got hold of an unlisted number. Do they just sit there and dial at random? Oh - and it was definitely not a foreign call; the woman sounded as English as I am.  >>:-(
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 03:20:16 pm »

Hi I had an experience with a double glazing company beginning with A.  After a price had been agreed the salesman came back and said the price would not be agreed to when the "surveyor" visited.  He said he could make out an invoice for £400 less and to pay him the £400 in cash and he would 'see the surveyor alright' so that the contract went through.
I called his bluff and did nothing, the survey went through without problem.
I was happy with the company but the salesman was clearly 'something else'
After sales service was fine.
regards Roy

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 04:05:02 pm »

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) No 1 with double glazing, conservatory, solar panels etc sales persons ( politically correct ) is to quote a high price and then as a special favour/offer to lower it. If that doesn't work the next ploy is to "just give my manager a call to see if he will authorise a better deal". He/she will pretend to call but will then mysteriously knock a considerable amount off. This deal is of course only available today and you will need to sign up NOW...
   How do I know all this? Been there - done the training - told 'em to stuff it!!

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »

I always initiate contact first myself after researching the track records of the companies I'm interested in. In many cases you can pick up customer reviews from the Internet and via organisations such as Checkatrade.

We have just had a replacement conservatory fitted to replace the bespoke one I built 30 years ago. I found a local firm via Checkatrade with excellent reviews. They quoted me for what what I asked for and accommodated my request to retain the internal hardwood cladding and existing electrics. The price was pretty much what I had expected having done a bit of checking around myself and I also researched the construction system and glazing they were using which was top notch. They did the job when they said they would, stuck exactly to the quoted price and we are delighted with the result. Apart from a small deposit I paid half the cost when all the components had been delivered to my garage and the rest when they completed the job.

The company boss is English, the workmen were all Poles and they did a good job.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »

So much for changing the number and going Ex-D. We had our first cold-call today "Our records show that someone at that number had a motor accident recently".
They won't call again in a hurry, but I would love to know how the hell they got hold of an unlisted number. Do they just sit there and dial at random? Oh - and it was definitely not a foreign call; the woman sounded as English as I am.  >>:-(
DM
I can imagine the language in your abode today Dave, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:03:34 pm »

I always initiate contact first myself after researching the track records of the companies I'm interested in. In many cases you can pick up customer reviews from the Internet and via organisations such as Checkatrade.

We have just had a replacement conservatory fitted to replace the bespoke one I built 30 years ago. I found a local firm via Checkatrade with excellent reviews. They quoted me for what what I asked for and accommodated my request to retain the internal hardwood cladding and existing electrics. The price was pretty much what I had expected having done a bit of checking around myself and I also researched the construction system and glazing they were using which was top notch. They did the job when they said they would, stuck exactly to the quoted price and we are delighted with the result. Apart from a small deposit I paid half the cost when all the components had been delivered to my garage and the rest when they completed the job.

The company boss is English, the workmen were all Poles and they did a good job.

Colin
tell us the name of the company  Colin.....I am sure others in your area would want to use them...........we have a builder around us that I used for an extension about 4 years ago who was absolutely brilliant, and sing his praises every time someone wants a job......no job too small..........it's nice to be able to say that about workmen these days.
neil.

inertia

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »

Neil
I was brief and to the point with the lady. I wasn't even rude!
Dave M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 05:27:09 pm »

tell us the name of the company  Colin.....I am sure others in your area would want to use them...........we have a builder around us that I used for an extension about 4 years ago who was absolutely brilliant, and sing his praises every time someone wants a job......no job too small..........it's nice to be able to say that about workmen these days.
neil.

Surrey Conservatories.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 05:32:15 pm »

DM

Dave, We've been ex-D since we moved here over 5 years ago (not my choice BT did it without asking if I wanted it). I still get all sorts of calls which I now regularly report to OFCOM or the Information Commissioner. It doesn't have an immediate effect, but adds to the  body of evidence so that they can prosecute.

Barrie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 06:34:54 pm »

Surrey Conservatories.

Colin

look a lovely job, Colin.

neil.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

DM

Dave,
Prior to the Referendum, I had a call from a pollster. I asked how he had got our ex-directory number and his response was that they used a computer system that dialled numbers randomly until it hit one that actually existed.
Cheers,
Barry M
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.