Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat Mag Supply Problems  (Read 4718 times)

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
Model Boat Mag Supply Problems
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »

Anybody else had recent delivery problems with Model boat magazine?

I buy my (ordered) copy through local Village Newsagents (Spar) BUT . . . .

5th December 2014 copy arrived two weeks late

24th December 2014 copy I haven't seen yet!

I understand that the Magazines are distributed by Menzies

Anybody know what's going on?

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

Car wash !!!

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Boat Mag Supply Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:28:15 pm »

Hi Richard

I get mine direct and have had no probems in fact they are always earley

Jeff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:44:50 pm »

It may be worth drawing this to the attention of their customer services, contact details shown in the magazine. Sounds like a local problem.

Colin

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »

Whoops! I have already emailed the editor! %)

Richard

inertia

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »

I don't suppose there's the slightest possibility that the proprietor of your local Spar shop has "forgotten" to pay his news bill? It does happen. %)
DM

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:06:19 pm »

I get mine delivered by subscription and it is usually a couple of days ahead of the local whs getting it in stock.
Chris

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

I don't suppose there's the slightest possibility that the proprietor of your local Spar shop has "forgotten" to pay his news bill? It does happen. %)
DM

I can't be sure one way or the other, but all the other Mags seem to be coming through as normal, so I assume the bill has been paid.

Richard

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »

DM
Unlikely, Menzies are very hot on bill paying. I was a newsagent some 20 years ago and missed a deadline, had to dash 40 odd miles with the cash on a Friday to keep supplies coming the next week. It annoyed me that customers expected their paper on the doorstep even if they hadn't paid last weeks/months bill. How did they think I paid mine!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 05:54:15 pm »

Whoops! I have already emailed the editor!

Poor old Editor! gets blamed for everything - but he will no doubt forward it on.  ok2

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:20:06 pm »

I used to buy mine from a branch of WH.SMith, one day I went in to the shop just as they were taking the old ediiton from the shelf and re-arranging a whole host of other magazines.

It turns out its up to the shop what magazines they carry. In my case as they already had Marine Modelling on the shelf they had decided not to stock Model Boats any longer. It did make me wonder why there were dozens and dozens of womens mags on view though!

They were very thoughtful and offered the advice that I could go into the city centre main branch and purchase it there, after all that branch stocks all magazines. Very thoughtful, I'd have to travel 4 miles into the city and then pay through the nose for parking just to buy the magazine.

This is the sort of service from a shop that actually sponsored the summer edition of that magazine last year!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 06:43:12 pm »

This is the sort of service from a shop that actually sponsored the summer edition of that magazine last year!

I'm afraid it is just commercial considerations. Display space for magazines is limited and highly sought after. The bigger titles pay a lot of money to have theirs prominently displayed that is why you usually see niche interest magazines such as modelling on the lower shelves or even virtually tucked out of sight where it is difficult to see them. There are a lot more ladies who buy women's magazines than there are modellers who buy model magazines so we are well down in the pecking order to start with!

A small branch might only sell one or two copies of Model Boats or Marine Modelling each month but still has to take perhaps five of each. The unsold copies are pulped. At larger branches there is more demand so it is just about worth stocking them.

But there is a perfect solution! Just take out a subscription. This is normally much cheaper than buying the issues individually, you get it prior to the publication day delivered to your door and instead of around 50% of the cost going to the distributor it goes to the publisher instead which supports the financial viability of the magazine and its ability to commission the articles you want to read!

I know some people argue that they like to browse through the issues in the store to see if they are worth buying but in that case you just have to take pot luck as you are a promiscuous shopper! If you find that the majority of the issues each year have enough content to make you want to buy a copy then a subscription is a no brainer. This doesn't just apply to Model Boats or Marine Modelling but to lots of other special interest magazines as well. It is surprising just how many people don't do the maths and end up spending more than they really need to whilst supporting the profits of the distributors rather than the publishers who actually produce the magazines.

As most people know, I do quite a bit of work for Model Boats magazine and I can assure you that the economics of the publishing trade have been quite an eye opener. If you like the magazine, whichever one it is, then support it by subscribing because that way everyone wins.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:50:07 pm »

Poor old Editor! gets blamed for everything -

oh dear.....my heart bleeds,  {-) {-) {-) {-)

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »

I used to buy mine from a branch of WH.SMith, one day I went in to the shop just as they were taking the old ediiton from the shelf and re-arranging a whole host of other magazines.

It turns out its up to the shop what magazines they carry. In my case as they already had Marine Modelling on the shelf they had decided not to stock Model Boats any longer. It did make me wonder why there were dozens and dozens of womens mags on view though!

They were very thoughtful and offered the advice that I could go into the city centre main branch and purchase it there, after all that branch stocks all magazines. Very thoughtful, I'd have to travel 4 miles into the city and then pay through the nose for parking just to buy the magazine.

I used to be manager for one of their branches so can probably explain.
There are numerous magazines on the market, and smaller branches cannot stock everything. In my day the rule was, if you sold less than three copies over the relevant sale period you de-stocked it. Nothing about 'because we already stock xxx.
However, they should have offered you the chance to have a regular standing order that you could pick up at the branch. You'd have to pay a deposit covering the possibility of not collecting it (believe me it happens, I had someone not collect his magazine for three mobths then get upset when I stopped saving it). As you say, not the best service.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »

oh dear.....my heart bleeds,  {-) {-) {-) {-)

But his Internet works fine!  {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:24:39 pm »

But his Internet works fine!  {-) {-) {-)

ohhh, that was below the belt, Colin, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:26:34 pm »

My pal had his on direct order and rang me up to tell me my boat was in it.I toddled off to W h Smith,and was told it does not go on the shelves til the 24th Christmas Eve,5 days later.they had it in stock but couldnt sell it until the due date.Another round trip of 16 miles to get it on Christmas Eve,and I then found Smiths had charhed a penny for the carrier bag to put it in
Mail Order ---the death of the corner newsagent!!! When I had my newsagents Menzies told us how many magazines we HAD to take of each title.In our case it averaged 6 and if we returned 4 we only got paid for selling 4 so losing the cost of 2 mags each time.Then they wondered why I cancelled some titles.Newsagent,or the small ones get ripped off by the big distributers.
Mick F
Ps good article and photo of my Cunard Liner at Blackpool Show though!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »

Mail Order ---the death of the corner newsagent!!!

I'm not altogether sure about that. The circulation and thus individual outlet sales of niche magazines such as Model Boats or Marine Modelling must be tiny compared with the bigger titles such as OK, Hello, the women's and big car magazines etc. which are commonly bought off the shelves and logically account for the overwhelming bulk of sales in any newsagent. I would imagine that faffing around with a title that only sells one or maybe two copies a month is just a nuisance really.

Colin

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »

Like their Aussie cousins, SWMBO and her mates read more  %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:36:05 pm »

"Like their Aussie cousins, SWMBO and her mates read more"  %) %) %).mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Latest studies from my mates @ the University of Wollongong  ;) suggest that women only look at the pictures  :kiss: .......just don't tell my dear wife I spilled the beans.......

Like....why did they invent the old adage? ......'a picture says a 1000 words'.........Derek  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 10:38:33 am »

I have received a couple of emails from Paul Freshney - Editor of Model Boats

My thanks to him for taking the time to answer my original email.

If there has been a problem it has been with W H Smiths/Menzies and/or my Local SPAR newsagent

Anyway problem solved ! : I have taken out a direct subscription to Model Boats!

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.