Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Graupner Glasgow' Paddle driven tug kit.  (Read 15238 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Re: 'Graupner Glasgow' Paddle driven tug kit.
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:37 am »

As it has been a couple of weeks without an update I though the time had come for a few words.
The model has been sitting here for so long I am having to dust her {-) most of the superstructure in now finished and that and a lot of the deck bits have been waiting for a deck.
Well this morning I bit the bullet and having finished the deck decided to fit it. I am not sure I have built a model before where fixing the deck is like nailing down a coffin, future access is not an option %% I have cut access holes for the rudder top, the steering servo and of course the motor and battery compartment, fed the anchor chains through the deck and out of the hull, these are temporarily held in place with blue tack for obvious reasons {-)
The fit is not brilliant and the edges will need a bead of wood to cover some of the imperfections.
Question:- do I fit the knees and then the bead or the other way around, whichever it is going to be fiddly, then both the bead and knees will have to be painted. 
She is ending up a pretty boat. Regards 

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »

Well done for being brave  :}  She looks a treat  :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 04:04:11 pm »

Slow build or is it slow builder, I am continually being told it is not a race >>:-(
A brief summary of where we are with this build.
Superstructure about complete, yokes for the hawsers done although I used plastic instead of alley tube was certainly easier, bollards on the bow and stern have been painted and glued on the deck.
Davits for the dinghy fitted and dinghy made and painted also davits for raising and lowering the anchors fitted with through deck and hull anchor chain in place, black and not chrome as supplied.
Mast fitted with supporting stays all adjustable using working brass turnbuckles, looks quite good :-))
Crew have been beautifully painted by my modelling partner in crime and are in position waiting for the maiden voyage.
The advantage of having stacks of room below deck is that I have fitted a 12v battery and there is loads of room for esc and receiver. I will also have room for steamboat sound machine, I hear you all groan {:-{ Ballast to be added if needed at the lake.
I have ordered a Scottish Saltire as the flag to be flown, Graupner supply a Union Jack, cannot imagine why and also the lettering for the boats name 'Loch Ranza' after a lovely loch we have visited in the Clyde near East Loch Tarbert.
Nearly forgot I still have to build the anchor winch, I have discarded the Graupner supplied one in favour of one from Mobile Marine Models, I keep picking it up looking at it and putting it back in the packet {-) looks difficult.
Some pictures of what has been done.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 09:22:10 pm »

Very nice Chris, that all looks familiar to me, the vents in the paddle boxes were well worth the effort.  :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 09:48:28 am »

Well I think it is about finished, next test to see her on the water.
The windlass was a MMM kit, not easy but worth the effort and far better that the Graupner supplied one.
12v battery installed and receiver and speed controller fitted, all seems to be working lets hope that continues. The steering seems to be a bone of contention on these boats unless each paddle wheel is independently powered, I am sure this is possible but not by yours truly.  %)
I will call a friend  %% to bring his tug when she has her maiden voyage.
Would I build another ? maybe not, there are so many other projects to be attempted. Who knows maybe have a go at scratch building. ok2

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:26 am »

That's gorgeous. What a cracking job you've made of her.     :-))

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:04 am »

Thanks Ken much appreciated.

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

WOW - yes she looks gorgeous - well done you  :-))

Fingers crossed for the maiden voyage around the pond tomorrow  :}

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:35 am »

Yes, EXCELLENT Job Sir!

I bet the crew are in fear of their lives if they scuff that deck!
   ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:25 am »

Hi Chris,
Well another beautiful looking boat it shows all the time and hard work you,ve put into her Please try and make our open day at Goole It would be great to see her on the pond keep up a lovly work and I can see you in the Master class soon.
                      Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:23 am »

Such praise, thank you Martin and Howard, thought you were being detained at an NHS establishment near you. Let me know how you are and yes we will try to make Goole again this year.
As for the masterclass, we can but dream, I will never be in the same league as those modellers.
Pearlsfirstmate hope the camera is charged for tomorrow, have asked Ron to bring his tug in case Loch Ranza refuses to steer. <*<     

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 01:10:59 pm »

Hi Chris,  she looks grand, very tidy build, with the basic rudder set up you'll never win a steering competitions but you'll find she steers well enough,  though I found mostly on full lock.  :-))

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »

Nice work Chris,i must extract the digit and get mine on the go.
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 11:18:10 am »

My last entry for this build.
She floats and much to my surprise no water from paddle wheels on the deck or anywhere it should not have been.
Took some time and some strategically placed lead shot to get the bow down and to have both paddles in the water but in the end with patience and help achieved it. She is not fast but then I would guess that she was travelling at around scale speed. The large 12v battery is great as it provided lots of power for a long time and placed directly astern of the motor makes useful ballast. I think the key to this type of boat is correct ballasting and as well as the battery I have filled a number of small poly bags with either 800g or 400g so that I can easily adjust the boats balance and depth.
I was warned of the steering difficulty and yes it is not good but in reasonably calm conditions she steers well enough. The ultimate would be to have both paddle wheels powered and controlled independently. It was mentioned at the lake a bow thruster but that would not be in keeping. A simple solution would be to fabricate a rudder extension to be fitted when on the lake but removable for display.
It was fun to build and certainly attracted quite some attention at the lake and I must say some compliments on the build quality.
I would like to thank all those who helped me, now onto the next project. Chris G 

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 12:40:52 pm »

Beautiful job, CG...she really looks the part out on the water.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »

Hi Chris,
 thats a cracking job you made of her,give your self a pat on the back.
 :-)) :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »

Very nice Chris, yes mine had a lot of ballast in her, which makes them quite heavy boats to turn, I found you had to sail with anticipation, but these paddlers look all the better at a more sedate speed.   :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.