Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65622 times)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:19:00 pm »

I have just bought this kit on a well known auction site in the USA.  It's coming here from Texas and with postage and taxes it's working out at around £130.  Seems very good value but we'll have to wait and see.  This is the Canadian schooner as originally built and is 1/64 scale plank on frame.  I did at first look at the kit from Mr Billing but it seemed fraught with weakness's and the Bluenose II by another well known company also had many shortcomings . . . having said that, this comes with just a big ol' timber log and a few fitting so lots of scratch building . . . .but it does come with many serious sheets of detailed drawings.  Wish me luck Eh!

Attached photo is what I'm hoping to receive . . .

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:14 pm »

The original Bluenose would have flown the Canadian Red Ensign, not the Maple Leaf.
Canadian Red Ensign: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/becc-cdn42.html - in a range of sizes.

Tom

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

Many many thanks Tom . . . I have just begun my research . . . mainly at deck level and had not noticed this until you prompted me to look closer, and up !

Found this site with lots of archive photo's and yo and behold . . . . . . The Canadian Red Ensign.  Thanks again Tom.   Jon

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/bluenose/default.asp?Language=English

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:50:49 pm »

Thank you hmsantrim . . . . the more information the better.  I sat here with a cuppa until the early hours grazing the internet and will add your offered links to my growing collection.  I have found a couple of old photos which although useful do confuse me . . . so

CALLING ANY BLUENOSE (original) BUILDERS !

It makes little sense but are the waterways higher than the deck in the forepart of the ship ?

How can the chainplates be on the outside on the foremast but appear to be partially inside on the main ?

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:25 am »

Hi Jon.
 Jay Dee on here has built a BNS  web url below
frank
http://john-dowd.co.uk/

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:17:09 am »

Interesting stuff . . . thanks again Frank.  Kit should be here next week (now in Ohio!) so I'm now sourcing tools etc !

Jon

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »

The most comprehensive drawings are the set of Bluenose II drawings done by the late artist L.B. Jenson.

They have been published both full size drawings and in book form.

Well worth buying the set in book form.

See;

http://www.amazon.com/Bluenose-II-L-B-Jenson/dp/1551090635

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

{My Grandfather was on the original Bluenose, the day she was launched.}
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 09:31:20 pm »

Looks an interesting book full of history.  I will add it to my list of things to get.  Thank you Rick.

Do you know what your G/F was doing on board.  Sounds fascinating and do you have links there any more ?

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:07 pm »

A few tools arrived from various sources today . . . but alas, still awaiting the Bluenose kit (it's somewhere in, or has just left Ohio).  Ho Hum, perhaps a little more research !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

Well . . . she's here, all the way from Texas via Ohio, London, Derbyshire and Plymouth.  Crazy world eh  %%

So the box has been ripped open and the three pages of contents quickly inspected and checked. 4 strips missing, 4 large dowels a little warped and as Tom pointed out, the wrong flag !

What's in it . . . . . lots of daunting parts, some of which are only just visible.  It may be incredibly comprehensive and accurate compared the kits produced by two other well known companies but wow.

6 AO sheets of very detailed drawings, around 200 deadeyes and blocks (some just an 3mm long), 200 assorted wood strips, 400 tiny metal bits, 20 castings and 60-70 laser cut bits . . Aaaaagh !

But other than the tiny size of some of the components, the biggest problem EVERYTHING'S IN IMPERIAL SIZES, and the scale is 1/64.  I've been kinda metric for almost 40 years and getting my head around 15/64ths and 3/32 x 9/32nds is going to make this a long slow build.  Oh well.  It's what I wanted and it should prove to be a great challenge.  See you all later.  Jon :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 08:34:43 pm »

Couldn't wait to jump in . . . popped the bulkheads and 3 keel sections out and sanded to test fit together . . comfortably.  I had to take around 1mm of the aft most keel section and will straighten up the forward one later.  Now the trickier stuff begins . . . All the burnt laser cut stuff outer edges has to be sanded off (already done the inner parts for the draft fit), then a groove has to be cut from stem to stern to take the lower edge of the side planking.  This in turn has to be 'faired' towards both the rudder stock and up to the bottom edge of the bulkheads with a chisel to ensure a smooth planking transition.  I'll do this before I glue anything together and I may reinforce that flimsy looking transom thing first  :-)

A pencil  datum line now runs across all three keel parts to aid future alignment and eventual gluing.

I'm very tempted to finish the hull above the waterline with a satin dark varnish.  I'll maintain the red anti-fouled 'bum' and the white rail top and inner parts etc.  I'll try staining the basswood but if I can source some thin walnut I may use that instead.  Mahogany might be too soft.

I've just begun testing deck planking.  Charcoal works as well as pencil on the plank edges (marker pen soaked in too much) but I won't use scale length planks as this could end up looking too busy.  I'll consider introducing a .8mm sheet sub-deck to aid planking. mmmmm . . . . . .  pics will follow when trials are finished  O0

Getting cold here in the south west now  :P

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:34 pm »

As the sun was out and I'm feeling lazy I have only done the recess above the keel to take the side planking.  It needs a final tidy but I'm quite pleased because,  1 . . I used a Stanley Knife and left the chisel well alone and, 2 . . . I managed not to slice right through the keel as it's only 3/16 thick !

Next job will be to glue (and reinforce) the 3 keel parts together and tidy up ready to start shaping the bulwarks or whatever they's called.

Out of interest the cost of this kit was £60 plus import tax and £25 p and p . . . . which compared to other products (and their shortcomings) make this good value but I suspect the tools and paints etc will add considerably to the final expenditure.

Ordered the correct flag today and I did mention the size of some of the blocks and deadeyes . . . . look at the standard staple.  Oh for younger eyes and nimble fingers

Jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 04:07:32 pm »

Getting cold here in the south west now  :P

When did they move Surrey Westwards? 😡

Nedj
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 11:30:45 pm »

Moved into my little place here in the Tamar Valley in Cornwall in April . . . . a compact bijou but in a beautiful area; so no study and therefore building on the dining table.  Not quite as bad as it sounds as I usually eat an evening meal in front of the telly.  I do have to watch for saw cuts and glue drips though.  Tee Hee.

I spent a couple of hours tonight sanding the 15 bulkheads, sorry bulwarks, both to clean up the burnt edges and to allow a smoother line for the side planking.  The central 8 needed very little work.

A little worried that my old age skills may not be up to the quality and detailed work produced by members of this forum, but it will keep me occupied for a while.

So I've now glued the keel parts together and set aside to cure overnight (I used PVA but also epoxied some additional pieces of scrap to ensure  secure bonding).  Pics tomorrow !

See everyone then . . . then

:}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

I'm going to post this quickly as the sun is out.

Photo of a trial section of deck (using timber that's slightly wider than it should be)  The colour seems ok but due to minute thickness differences it take a LOT of sanding, which could be a real pain when it's laid between 100's of stanchions (bulwarks) and a raised waterway on the foredeck. . . . Any suggestions would be welcome  :embarrassed:

My next job is to reduce the stanchion thickness of all 15 frames to 1/8 inch square (they are not glued in yet !) as the frames are 3/16 and quite soft ply so more advice sought please !

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »

The frames are just about ready to be primed before trying to work out the somewhat complicated stern counter.

I have had some trouble with the frame timbers . . unlike the keel which is solid basswood, they are of 3-ply construction and whilst the outer parts seen ok the core layer is full of tiny holes and fissures.  So in order to reduce the stanchions to 1/8 inch square I had to first coat the nibs in PVA prior to using my finest saw to make the cut and then apply wood filler and sand flat.  These are very fragile and easily snagged little boggers . . . it might have been easier to cut them all off flush with the deck and bought some 1/8 hardwood and fixed these alongside the frames.  I'll need to prime the inner 3 sides of these and sand and re-prime again I suspect.

The little bits of wood just below deck level are to support possible cross decking that will frame the hatches and openings later.  I have also begun adding longitudinal timbers to ensure the keel is dead straight and hopefully doesn't bow . . . placing these items carefully to ensure future access to the inner hull so I can add two timber blocks on each side to allow for pins securing the chainplates to be secure.  mmmmmm . . . . .

It all looks a little scruffy at the moment but most of this will be in the depths of the hull one day !

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:42 pm »

A work of art Sir.

Well done.    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 10:16:16 am »

Why thank you Ken . . . . I think I need all the support I can can.

Rainy morning wishes

Jon

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 10:44:03 am »

Fine carpentry work sir!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 11:01:17 am »

More praise . . . . . Oh my word.  Thank you Martin.

Building fine stuff in timber is quite new to me.  I kinda thought the kit would have lots of printed or rough cut out parts rather than just 200 assorted strips of timber.  Still I guess that's still better than finding a single large log and a lump of brass in a box  :}

All I need now is a pillar drill, a lathe and some power planes and sanding machines

TTFN

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:44 am »

You mean to say you haven't......       {-) {-) {-)

It's amazing how quickly the  'selection'  of tools builds up.  Imagine your building prowess if you had these as well.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »

Forward thinking Guys.  Can anyone offer a build order to undertake these works at this scale  %% %% %% %%

There will be 80 odd 1/16 inch square water drainouts (scuppers?) on each side.
There seems to be nothing on the plans or in the book on how to support the waterway/deck between the stanchions and they suggest drilling outwards and then filing inwards without marking/damaging the adjoining surfaces. . . Yeah Right !!!
How can the parts indicated be painted
and finally . . . any ideas on how this can be done or can you think of a way to cheat

Not asking a lot really . . . Tee Hee

Thanks for looking

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 12:27:01 pm »

All looking a bit messy at the moment but perhaps more in keeping with a real one in the builders yard  :}

I've begun a rough fabrication of the aft cabin, just to check how it'll sit and where I need to place any support beams (off-cuts) and I've also strengthened the skinny counter (stern) area.

I'm also running short timbers between each frame to support the deck/waterway edge.  The fore deck planks will be laid parallel to the centreline whilst the aft deck (which is a few mm higher) ones are laid in line with the taper of the aft cabin . . . hence the forward planning.  The deck planking will be 1/16 x 3/32 inch.

Still not sure how to attack the bulwark (side rails?) details so holing off this area a little . . lots of other bits to tackle anyway !

Take care y'all  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:02 pm »

Fiddled with the complicated stern area . . . why did so many ships have fancy bows and sterns.

The main rail that wraps around the stern is a laser cut piece but it doesn't quite fit.  It's a little busy and fragile and I don't fancy trying to make a new one so I'm planning on a few changes at and above deck level . . . pics and solution later hopefully  :}

So . . . shaped and fitted two blocks to take the planking, made a couple of fiddly bits to connect to these blocks and had a go at the rudder . . . sheesh !

I think all the cabin and hatch support timbers are now in.  Blocks have been added to take the mast feet so they shouldn't need to be glued in and therefore will allow future removal if needed.

That's all for now Guys

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.