Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65626 times)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:20 am »

Darn (can think of better)  <:(  . . . pre-cut frame J is a little too narrow to look right . . . Ideally it should be about 2mm wider across the top but I might get away with an extra 1-1.5mm.  It may not seem very much and to be honest it hardly showed when laying a hull plank alongside but it showed up when I test fitted a waterway plank along the inside at deck level

No pics of my poxy repair as it looks terrible and I'd be embarrassed  :}

Re-checked the mast dowelling and it's all but un-usable being an inch out of true on one piece and a kink right in the middle of the other.  This is the downside of buying from a company that is so far away.  There are also lots of little laser cut wooden parts that worry me a little.  This includes 40 odd mast hoops and a dozen tiny triangular shaped deadeyes (I think the bottom of the shrouds connect to these).  The hoops have to be 'snipped' out and they are just so fragile and the deadeyes may need a groove files around the edge . . . micro surgery seems the only route with these little blighters !

That's it for now . . . off to soak 3 more waterway planks and pin on a board to dry.  Such fun  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »

mmmmm . . . . couple of issues.

Replacement dowels ordered but I received bananas so tried yet another well known UK model supply shop and have now got bananas and twigs . . . . and I cannot find a UK model supplier who sells thin-wall metric brass tube.  Disappointing  :((

And as for spray paint . . . . this is the result I got from a new can of Plastikote (matt gloss topcoat) . . . it came out as snow and it also spluttered lumps of paint over everything.  Rubbish  >:-o

Meanwhile I have learnt a lesson . . . check, recheck and check again before gluing . . . . now cleaning and spraying 300 tiny brass bits with a self-etch primer

Enough for now methinks  :}

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 04:27:26 am »

hi jon.
 tried here. http://www.ksmetals.com/retail.html

Frank.

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:01 am »

Hi,

A book :

Bluenose 2
Saga of the great fishing schooners
Measured drawings by L.B. Jenson.

Very detailed plans of Bluenose inside and out.

Regards

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:10 am »

They certainly stock a huge range Frank, but 'tis not thin real wall . . . I will contact them about their metric range though but this only goes up to 4mm

Their tubing is 0.14 inches (.36mm) whereas the thin stuff works on 0.5mm increments and is about .24mm thick so each tube will fit really snug into the next size up . . . . clever eh !

I'll try them on monday . . . fingers crossed

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:34 am »

Yes I'm still considering that book as was recommended a while back by Fireman Rick.  Trouble is the detail supplied with the kit for BN 1 is already WAY beyond my capabilities  <:(

It may be a nice book to track down though.

Example of detail supplied along with a pic of my wood stock for this build . . . over 200 strips mostly under 4mm.

Spent some time laying the parts of the perimeter waterway between the frames.  Each piece has the tiniest curve and has to be set to fig snugly between the outer planking and two really thin strips that make up the remainder of the waterways . . . . and of course they aren't there yet !   The for deck ones are 1/32 inch thicker as the waterway IS raised here.  It was a good thing I'd bunged in the support bits first as they did aid assembly.

The nibs on the primary bulkheads are now getting soooooo fragile  :}

Next jobs are to rough fit the jib and stern stuff prior to fitting the top two side planks . . . then the crazy job of adding all the intermediate stanchions.    Aaaaagh  %%

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 11:40:29 am »

They certainly stock a huge range Frank, but 'tis not thin real wall . . . I will contact them about their metric range though but this only goes up to 4mm

Their tubing is 0.14 inches (.36mm) whereas the thin stuff works on 0.5mm increments and is about .24mm thick so each tube will fit really snug into the next size up . . . . clever eh !

I'll try them on monday . . . fingers crossed

Jon

Hi Jon.
       what you are talking about would something telescopic like a car aerial....idea.!!!!!!!     Although you have some bananas for masts if it was a working model the tension on the shrouds could have pulled it straight.
 Would billings not have wood you could use http://www.billingboats.com/accessories.html
frank.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 12:54:42 pm »

More stuff to consider . . . . many thanks again Frank.  Not doing much today as it's dry and mild out so I should go wandering !

Test fitting the basic bow and stern bits.  These are laser cut parts but the stern piece is 3mm too narrow so now soaking in warm water and bleach prior to easing and drying  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »

Yo Frank . . .

Tis not a working model and it's bigger than the Billing models but yes the shrouds may pull the lower part of the masts straight but probably not the upper section . . . the main mast is over 2 feet high and it would be easier to build if they were straight . . . . When assembling the keel and frames I made a tiny error (check and re-check eh) . . I'm about 0.5mm out of true vertically.  Not a lot but if I continue up (leaning tower syndrome) this will only get worse so a nice dead straight lump of wood is my best bet.

A telescopic ariel might sort it . . . probably no more difficult to cut than thin brass but not easily soldered . . . . It's to save me making 30 odd fixing rings to fit onto the masts and spars in various places.  The kit comes with a pack of ting ultra thin brass strips and I'm not confident of my fabrication skills  :}

Keep the input coming please as it makes me stop and think . . . something I'm not good at.

Have a good day

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »

Just a little bit more, then a good tidy up and wipe down and get the poor dining table back for a few hours . . . {-)

First sanding and shaping of the bowsprit.  It's 9 inches long, square at the back, tapering towards the front but following a straight line along the bottom.  I mean to say !

The back bit (stern/counter/rear/aft/etc) is decidedly more interesting . . there are three laser cut parts and the part between the top rail (the monkey rail) and the main rail is only 0.5mm x 2.5mm.  Well try getting this out of the printed sheet in one piece . . . not a chance;  so I'm gonna make one 1.5mm thick.  Steamed over the kettle and now strapped up hoping it works okay.

Day off tomorrow . . from modelling that is.  Have a good week y'all

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26:54 am »

Hi,

A couple of scans from the book:

Bluenose 2
Saga of the great fishing schooners
Measured drawings by L.B. Jenson.

Regards

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 09:57:48 am »

All the way from lovely Australia . . . . thank you !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:11 am »

A quiet evening . . . . making a few corrections, fine sanding, priming brass bits and thinking  . . .how to build and paint the sides and rails.

Just a few pics now as I may be away tomorrow
1 How the bulwarks should be built . . . it's the painting and oiling of the various parts that is stumping me.
2 The front with heavy timbers added where the anchor cable holes will be (hawse ?), chafing blocks will be added later.  At bottom front is a sliver of timber that needed adding . . still needs final sanding.
3 The dreaded stern.  Using the jig in pic 4 I formed the curved section over the kettle steam . . I think I've got away with it.
4 Now forming two 'fashion pieces' (using two no. 1/32 x 1/16 strips steamed and laminated)  . . . one for each side of the stern.  They will make the corner joint between side and rear planking.  Not sure if I can pull this detail off though.

That's it.  Goodnight All

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

It's a little cold and bleak here in the Tamar Vally so . . . . . .

As I'm now fabricating part of the stern, at deck level, prior to spray priming I thought it best to have a quick peek at the bigger fittings that came with this kit.

Two packs of sailcloth, six rolls assorted threads (not sure I'll be going with black though . . . just too black), brass rods, wires and strips and a bunch of assorted, but detailed, white metal bits.

There are two little bits (bottom left) that act as shock absorbers for the two main sheets and I need to plan how to install one of these into the hole in the transom assembly . . . mmmm……..

Now looking at the blocks and deadeyes (there are another 20 or so on the laser cut parts).  I really need 16 year old eyes and fingers to even pick these bits up.  But that's well in the future I guess.

Bought some Tamiya masking tape, primer, matt white and matt black . . . and button polish and matt lacquer for the decks . . . . more testing needed methinks

How on earth am I supposed to make around a hundred 1/64 x 3/64 inch scupper holes ?

Ah well !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »

The real Bluenose stern detail showing the buffer thingy . . .  this was in her latter days and looking a little tired  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:50 pm »

Just ensuring all the beams are correct for the main cabin thing.  It's also important if I wish to taper the aft deck planking in line with the cabin sides.

From the pic you can see the initial primer has been sprayed onto the outer waterway and the frames but leaving unpainted 'dots' for the intermediate stanchions (the frame tops still have tape on so are free of paint).  The deck cabin is to have hardwood timbers on the corner joints and top and bottom 'mouldings' all around, a couple of portholes and an entrance door at the back . . . yes and a roof  :}

Might tidy up my work table and the spray bay (spare room) later !

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:16 am »

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:17 am »

This looks like a great place to go shopping so I'm off there now. . . . many many thanks hmsantrim  :-) :-) :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 04:04:36 pm »

I seem to be hibernating at the moment . . oh well.

Took a very brave step forward today.  I fitted the first of the hull planks . . . well most of it 'cos I need to be careful how I make the hole for the jib.  After wetting the stern end of the walnut plank I'd left it clipped in place overnight to dry and have begun gluing today.  If my courage keeps up I'll do its counterpart on the other side later.  I hope to go on and add the next ones down(these are wider and thicker) then fix them all together at the front and make the hole for the jib boom.

I now have very true dowels for the masts . . . very helpful Cornwall Model Boats checked them on their counter and sent them in a 3ft long tube.  www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk

I now need how to ensure the paint sticks to the brass.  I cleaned them with thinners and used a self etch primer but not perfect.   {:-{

Bit cooler here today.  A mere 7C.  So staying in this afternoon  :P

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »

This is going to be a long build methinks. . . . :embarrassed:

Cutting the new dowels to length prior to shaping, drilling, sanding and dozens of other things . . . they ain't 'arf complicated.  There are 9 pieces in all, some extending to 15 inches long so I'm pleased I held out for really straight ones.  The lower parts of the two masts now have tenons at one end to ensure alignment in the keel when fitted and they will need sanding down to taper just the rear upper edge !

As the planking, stanchions and rails will take so long I thought it best to begin these other little jobs.

That's enough for today . . . :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:02 am »

Tool time . . . . if anyone's interested, what I've used so far !

The items in the photo (plus more sanding sheets and clips) . . . and note my pink square . . . it was in a cracker and it's brilliant  :D
Elmers filler
Mini drill
Spray primer
Dining room table, chair and lamp
Kitchen towels
Kettle
Post-its (I squeeze glue onto them)

and tonight I managed to make the two tiny rectangular holes in the main boom with a drill and a file. Oh for a heated workshop  :embarrassed:

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 10:03:19 am »

Maybe you need to add "heater" to the list of tools...  :-))

Looking good so far!!
Amateur at work...

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 12:35:38 pm »

Ah yes . . . I moved a portable oil filled electric one in just the other evening . . . almost mid-winter here so guess I should move hemispheres  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:31 pm »

I'm not going to risk fixing the next plank on each side until I'm totally happy with everything and the last bits of glue have had a full day to set because the stern has quite a bend in it.

Righty ho then . . . as I have lovely straight dowels I made up all masts and spars (I made the jib up last week).  It was enjoyable but fiddly and I even resorted to my old 240v drill for one bit  :}

A new self etch primer arrived today.  I'll post the results in due course.  Snowing with bluish skies  :-)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.