Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65633 times)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:44 pm »

Hi Jon.

found this in the files  when you click on to watch  the videos there are  other parts of models on right side page

frank

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwlxoxofs0TFd_5zPm0depQ/videos

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 05:08:18 pm »

Hello Frank

Yes I've been trawling through youtube and have bookmarked this one . . . fascinating stuff.  I've also just found a complete build for this particular model . . . 25-30 hours worth.  See you in 2016  :}

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »

Though there is some good building information on there, it is not all accurate.

The videos are of the rebuild; actually Bluenose III. Though they called it II, it is actually a complete new Bluenose III.

They made lots of modifications, which have gotten them into trouble and as such, the new Bluenose III has not been allowed to sail, as it failed its acceptance testing. As such it is still stuck in dock.

Such a shame. The original Bluenose was a true champion. Bluenose II was a great ambassador for many years. The new Bluenose III has been stuck in controversy with much government meddling. It has brought shame, on such a famous ship.

Hopefully 2015, will see the new Bluenose III be allowed to sail and again become the ambassador that it has always been.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 10:47:33 pm »

Yo Fireman Rick !

I'm building the original Bluenose from the Shipways kit (not sure it's available anymore)  I looked at the Danish kit (I think they now do a 1:100 one as well) but this appeared to be over simplified and lacking in many things;  The Italian model boat company do a slightly crude Bluenose II and I do not have the skills or experience to do a scratch build.  Hence my choice.  I do look at the various incantations of this famous schooner but I'm trying to stick to the original build circa 1920 . . . . and I do mean . . .'try'.  Hee Hee

I spend between 1 and 3 hours a day working on the model so I suspect BN III will be finished and sorted long before mine is . . . . let's hope it visits Falmouth over here in Cornwall  :}

As the hull is nearly 2 1/2 feet long I've decided to shorten the planks to enable me to affix them before the glue sets.  This will mean real slow going until I gain confidence  {-)

So plank layer no. two has been started, along with one hatch and a little more work on the cabin. 

3C here now . . . . brrrrrrrrr !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 06:35:09 pm »

Some little bits arrived in the post today and if useful I will get a few more.  The stunning little belaying pin, although possibly the wrong style, is 7mm long.  30 or so brass ones came with the kit but I liked the look of these.  The little rudder hinge (I'll need 2 more) may be adaptable and save me messing up a scratch build; and Bluenose had lots of turnbuckles at various times but in the end had two like this . . . I may have to make the open type if I cannot source them  {:-{

I've added the stanchions to one side and it's a good thing boats have two almost identical side . .  one to practice on and one to improve (pity they don't have three !)  I've sanded and tidied up the rear ones but only just doing the forward ones . . tedious !

The funny binding and stubby old dowel is to protect the leading edges of the upper four planking strips . . . I carefully drilled and sanded a 5mm hole through these planks while the lower two planks were not completely glued solid . . . just in case it went wrong and I had to fit new ones.  Hope that sounds right.

Stormy thundery ice lumps night last night (I gather there's no such thing as hail in the winter  :} )

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 11:09:10 pm »

Essential reading methinks Frank.  Many many thanks for your help.

Sanding, filing and cleaning up this evening . . . my recently purchased cutting broaches are earning their keep  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 10:18:50 am »

A late night thanks to your links Frank and I even got waylaid watching a genius build a barque training ship .  Some peoples skills are just amazing (link below)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5860-gorch-fock-2-threemast-barque-by-nils-langemann-scale195-1958-cadet-training-sailing-tallship-as-she-appeared-in-the-1960s-already-completed-to-d/#entry168883

. . .  so good morning all, and a windy one too here in the west.

While kinda watching CBB I marked and cut out the main rails in card.  I upturned the hull onto the card with sanding pads underneath to ensure a reasonably close fit and marked all around with a pencil . . they're a mm or so oversize to allow for slight drawing and cutting inaccuracies.

I really should take the photo's with a scale rule alongside.  The finished model will be just under 3 feet long and about 5ins wide.

Rough sanded the stanchions to rail height.  If I was building it again I'd cut off the supplied bulkhead ones and fit hardwood stubs alongside.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »

Dreadful weather (snow, rain and winds) so coffee and fiddling  :}

Gave up with the cardboard template thingy for the main rails . . . cutting out, sanding and fitting several lengths together too scary, so . . . . after soaking a 6mm x 1.6mm in hot water and bleach I gently bent it to fit the whole of one side and it's now weighted down and drying . . . I'll then have to add the two pin-rails but this is all painted stuff so . . . .we'll see later !

Thought it time to 'play' with the tiny supplied brass strips.  I'll need to make up 40 rings of assorted sizes 3mm to 8mm).  I'll need to paint them and glue these to the spars; then drill for all the little fixings  <:(

I've been reading the build of a 4 mast steel barque . . . . if interested just have a look at this (click images to expand) . . . the mans a genius !
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5553-pamir-4-mast-barque-by-nils-langemann-scale-196-1905-cargo-sailing-tallship-as-she-appeared-since-19511952-lost-1957-already-completed-to-date/page-17

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »

Hi Jon.
 thought the picture showing the tins of scran was the crews rations for the day... {-)   s`pose it makes a change from some old lead acid batteries for glue weights. Neffer mind the weather get yon Paddys Irishhh cream open begorraah.....  {-) {-) {-)

Frank

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 02:18:28 pm »

Hi Jon.
 I have your next projekt lined up for you could always make a start on it when you feel you need a break for the BN.  You have all  the raw materials  there to make a start on the hull.  It will make ideal use of the "bannanas and twigs".... {-)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381113522054?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Frank 

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

Nice one Frank . . . an interesting challenge.  If I can get BN done to a reasonable standard I'll have to go looking for something like that . . . Something different !

Gonna leave the pretend Irish Cream as a weight . . . I've found some Brandy . . . . Woha   %%

Any plans for the weekend ?

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »

A laser cut log boat.... Sort of misses the point a bit doesn't it? Looks good though.

Following this Bluenose build with interest, looks complex and fiddly but coming along nicely...
Amateur at work...

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 09:01:48 pm »

A dugout . . . . simples eh.

After seeing lots of other builds I think this kit is only a complex as the builder fancies.  I've damaged eyes and fingers . . . not a good combination for this building stuff

Proof of pudding eh  :}

Enjoy summer down under 'cos it's heaving down here.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »

very little progress today as feeling poorly so a hot toddy and off to bed soon  :((

Rails have been re-soaked and bent a little more as they seem to spring back slightly when removed.  Until the rail issues been resolved I'm not doing very much more on the hull; although fragile, the final sanding may be easier without the rails in place . . .mmmmm......

I've worked out an easy way to make the brass rings . . . wind them around various dowels a few times, run the Dremel saw diskup through the lot (to insulate I used a large nail sander on pressed it tight against the back) and then trimmed and reshaped into a circle.  I'll fine tune them as they get fitted.  The biggest will be 8mm and the smallest around 3mm.

Some tricky brass bits later but I'm learning as I go . . . hoo hoo  :}

Ordered a few cute looking bits from Modellingtimbers on the Isle Of Man.  They do look good !

That's it.  Stay safe and if i'm not here tomorrow I'm in bed feeling sorry for myself  {-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:25 am »

We seem to have lost a part of this build . . . It looks like February has gone AWOL . . . Oh well.  Probably nothing very important.  I'll repost some of the pics though (stanchions in prior to sanding, planking underway, parts and soaking and bending main rails to suit curve of bulkhead)   :D

I dug out all the laser cut sheets (and made a start on cleaning up and assembling the main winch thingy) There are 8 fishing boat hulls, lots of silly fragile sail hoops, the bow and transom items have been removed already, some mast rings that have a hole 1mm too big and a couple of deck and mast fittings.  I'm unlikely to use the tiny triangular blocks and the flag is new from Cornwall model boats as the supplied one is the current Canadian national flag . . . silly !

Row FOUR of the planking underway . . . tapering the transom end down to about 2mm to ease fitting.  Hoping this is okay.

There's lots of snow on the ground but sitting in full February sunshine . . . . s'lovely  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »

Well it seems it's true . . . Modelboatmayhem have confirmed that a day way lost during a site update last evening.  Not a great loss here but I do hope you guys are all okay. . . . I do need to graze other builds on here so I may do that right now  %%

Not a lot to report today . . . 4 rows of side planking installed and now studying the stern a little more as the planking needs to be not only neat but even on both sides where it meets.  I'm off to the big smoke first thing tomorrow (Truro) so I'll see ya all soon

Jon  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »

S T U C K  :}

Fiddling with my bum and the bends are getting quite awkward 'cos I think I should have tapered all of them from the word go.  I'm soaking them well and affixing with clips until dry and now tapering but not sure now where to go with the next ones.

It doesn't help that the transom is a little weird anyway.  The planks (the filed off ones in the photo) have a curved fashion piece (my first attempt is 2mm too short so bending a couple more) where they meet the transom boarding while the ones I'm now laying seem to meet directly with the transom boarding.

Another coffee and a little more thought  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2015, 08:50:09 pm »

I think it'll be okay  :-)

Now on row 6 and I've slimmed down the rear part of the next planks to a minimum of about 1.7mm . . . add to this I've also been adding a very slight bevelled edge to encourage a smoother curve (nothing clever, just a sanding block) . . . and it seems to be getting there, and I might be able to gradually increase the plank width again as I move down the counter.

Care has to be taken at the bow as well.  The planks are carefully shaped to fit into the rebate (well okay, side cutters and sand block) and a slight sanding on the inside to increase the glued area and make everything nice and snug.  It's going to be important to get a neat curve down the planking.

No pics 'cos there's not much to see at the moment.

Thinking about the waterways again and wondering if I can 'nib' in the decking properly . . . and as for 80 odd scupper/drains . . . these should be 1/64 by 3/64 th inch.  Yeah Right.  My smallest broaching file is 3/64 square and jewellers files will be just too delicate . . . . ANY IDEAS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Warn here now but will probably freeze in the early hours  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 12:47:21 am »

Still at it . . . . . gluing in row 6.  The red and silver clip at the very back is adding a slight twist to the damp plank that as yet is not glued in.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:49 am »

That is a clever method of clamping with the paper clips, very innovative!  :-))
Amateur at work...

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 01:36:21 am »

Jon,

Greetings.

You have mentioned several times now the " . . . and as for 80 odd scupper/drains . . . these should be 1/64 by 3/64th inch. ".

Have you got a picture from the instructions and/or box top of the area of concern?

If I / we see a picture, maybe able to offer some thoughts.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2015, 03:19:54 am »

. . . and as for 80 odd scupper/drains . . . these should be 1/64 by 3/64 th inch. 

Looking at the planking, on the plan. The top two planks are the gunwhales. If it is possible, remove these top two planks, you can get stuff to ease even CA glue. The scuppers could then be filed into the bottom edge of the first gunwhale plank. A jig would make this filing easy.

1/64" is near as darn it 0.4 mm
You may be able to get a 0.4mm or 1/64 drill bit. I know you can get 0.5. At this scale 0.5mm would not be noticed.
You would need to make a jig, and be very careful when setting it up. You could drill the holes at either end and then use the drill bit as a router for the last bit in the middle

Or, thinking laterally.
At 1/64th, these scuppers would probably not allow water to escape, and they would be difficult to paint without fouling.
If you make a small tool with a tip of 1/64 x 3/64 and use it to punch a depression into the wood. This would be easier to place than any jig, especially when following the waterways.
When paining, you could paint into the depression with black first. Then when you come to paint your gunwhales as long as you keep the brush light, you could paint over the scupper, without painting in to it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2015, 06:58:10 am »

Hi,

For a working scupper for my Schooner which sails in some pretty rough water at times.

I got some old square aircraft hinges, filled in the holes with epoxy, sanded and painted, they work a treat.

Although fairly large they can be resized easily.

My schooner has the deck a bit lower than the railing height so to make sure I can get the water off the deck I made the scupper covers (?)

Regards

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:00 am »

Lots of wonderful advice here so lots of food for thought.

I do wish I'd filed these in earlier and the supplied instructions do mention filing slots for this but no advice on how to do it . . however reading other builds they suggested drilling from the inside out (to position accurately) and then filing from the outside in to ensure aligning with both the deck and the stanchion spacings.  Also mentioned is that making them slightly oversize is okay !

Sounded easy two weeks ago :D

I've attached a quick sketch but removing and filing now looks impractical due to the laying of the upper planks.  Can miniature cutting broaches (ideally with just one cutting face) be got ?

I could then make up a thin metal guard to protect the stanchions and waterway from both the drilling (hand) and the subsequent filing.

No hurry lovely guys as the planking is still working out at just two a day . . . hoo hoo  :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.