Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65623 times)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:36 pm »

I think I need to buy another kit and start again . . . .  tee hee and there's one of these Shipways kits for sale on a well known site . . . if anyone's daft enough of course.

I cannot realistically undo what's been done so far so I'm stuck with making a thin right-angled guard, drilling a 1mm hole from the inside and using my smallish broach from the outside to make bigger than planned rectangular holes.  I've been messing about and the smallest I can achieve will be approx 1.3mm by 2.5mm and it will just have to do.  O0

If anyone else builds one of these . . . PLANK UP AND DOWN FROM THE WATER DRAIN LINE.  Use a stanchion template to locate each filed slot.  Ensure all frames are exactly the same distance apart and that the proposed waterway lines are ridiculously exact !!!!!

There . . . . kinda sorted

Few new bits arrived today from The Isle of Man . . . . they's lovely and I'll do a pic this weekend.

Cold wishes everyone  :-)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2015, 02:53:00 am »

Jon,

What Vendor on The Isle of Man are You using?

Thank You.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:14 am »

Oversized holes will probably work well as there is at least a chance they will function as scuppers, and they will be less likely to foul when painting.  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2015, 09:42:47 am »

Hello,

Is the boat EVER going to get wet ??????????.
Why bother so much about the Scuppers!!!!.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 06:35:04 pm »

Righty Ho . . . .

first Mr Rick . . . lovely little bits and bobs from Keith at Modelling Timbers.  Starting to play with the bowsprit so using some of their bits as those eyebolts have 1mm and 1.2mm holes, and they are threaded so should grip well when cut down and glued in !

John . . . that is well worth considering . . . see pic of original and Mr Tiger . . . If I do go for it I will make oversize.  Great point !

Very little done today but what the heck . . . it was sunny  :-)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47:18 pm »

Jon,

Having see the picture of the scupper drains, I might suggest going solid wood, then cutting them afterwards using something like a Dremel 569 1/16" Carbide Grout Removal Bit or similar small/fine cutting/slotting bit.

Could also use the Dremel Engraving Cutter - 113 (photo below).

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »

Oooooh dear . . . . I tried making a hole for the first 'scupper'.  I used a thin right angle metal strip to protect the waterway and the stanchion and drilled a 1mm hole outwards.  I then used a tiny cutting broach but the timber started splintering around the hole and the problem is that a repair would be too difficult at this size and in these locations.  I then tried (thanks Fireman Rick) my smallest router type bit on the Dremel on the exact opposite side of the boat with similar results . . . The timber is too rubbishy for both these methods so . .  I opened up both holes to around 1.5mm x 3mm and they look like mooring line (springs) routes  :D   So no bloddy scupper holes on this ol' boat and the crew will just have to paddle  :-)

Row 10 of the hull planking is underway so, 20 done 40 to 50 to go . . . . . . Aggggggggh ! ! ! !

No pics today

TTFN

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:22 pm »

Going to tidy up a very messy ding table and watch the BAFTA's so took a couple of pics of planking and a rather large water drain hole  :-)

Going to fiddle with some of the little bits tomorrow  :-) :-) :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 03:42:03 pm »

Beautiful sunny day so very little work on the boat (ship).  Tidied up the garden and believe it or not, the bloomin' grass is growing actively !

! layer of planking laid and finished the bowsprit bar finding a suitable wood colour/stain.  How many connections does 6 inches by 1/4 inch of dowel need.  Two will go down to the bow, 4 will go back to the hull sides, 2 will go up to the foremast and the little fine ones will take running rigging blocks.  Sheesh  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 09:07:28 pm »

I have decided to avoid buying any more ready-made mast hoops . . . they're visually too much out of scale, so it's on to 1.6mm and 2mm wide brass and copper strips.  The brass ones came with the kit.  I'll need to build some kind of precision drilling rig.  I've got Mr Dremel and lots of ultra fine bits and I'll need to drill the holes in-situ to insert the little eye thingies . . . . mmmmm ?

As I'm almost at the waterline with the planking I've taken the opportunity to glue some odd lumps of off-cuts to the inside of the hull to take the chain plate fixings.  5 will need to be fixed with tiny pins on each side of each mast and I don't think the  1.5mm thick hull would suffice.

I'm at waterline level amidships but the bow rises another 15mm or more so I'm continuing on with another 4 rows of walnut and then I'll switch over to the lime.  If it doesn't work . . . so be it  :embarrassed:

I've quite a lot of little deck features to make (nothing like the number on Bluenose II) so if I get fed up with all this blooming planking I'll clean up the workbench (table) and fiddle with some of these as I cannot consider the decking just yet.

Cuppa time  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »

Silly me . . . . forgot to add the photos . . . . obviously the bowsprit is only 'posed'  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »

Ooops . . . . this just had to be wrong.  I'd been looking at other builds of this boat and used eye-pins on the hatches (there is a smaller one as well).  I need to replace them with rings that lay flat so a canvas cover can be added.  The main cabin roof is underway and will include a compass housing, an access slide and a skylight.  The vent/window is slightly oversize !

While I'm here, has anyone owned or used a Dremel pillar drill/workstation thing, and . . .  does anyone know of an easy way to make a mast ring for belying pins.  Inside diameter of 8mm, outside around 12mm ?  ;D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »

Simples  :} :} :} :}

Grey wire bead thread looped through ready made 1.8mm little rings.  the equally tiny foot grating will have to be sunk into the deck as it will need to be almost flush !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 11:05:25 am »

A little further with the main cabin roof.  The rule book said to plank the roof as the aft deck so . . . .lots of little tapered planks, and the beginnings of the slide.  Far too fine to sand but cutting a slight angle along the stripwood is quite frustrating so I held the short strips down with masking tape, assembled to fit on top of more upside-down masking tape and then glued the whole lot on in one piece.  Seemed to work but took over an hour.  And I found pencilled edges less messy to do than charcoal  :D 

Quiet day today . . .other jobs  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »

The post has arrived . . . some kinda center-punch . . . it's silver and spring loaded but I've no idea how to use it  :D , a few stupidly tiny parts like 3 and 4mm dia. brass sheaves to insert into the gaff booms and .........

.......a wonderful toy all the way from the US for £15.  They are sort of rotary cutting broaches cum routers starting at a mere 1mm . . . and boy to they work.  Timber just melts away.  Trouble is, because they're rotary they tend to wander off the straight and narrow so I'd need a jig or template of something clever.

Building boats sure throws up some interesting challenges eh . . . .  think I'll build a Yamato or Sovereign of the Seas next . . . hoo hoo!

but no building today as I've just gotten in, I'm a little tired and I've just found a bottle of red . . . cheers   :-) :-) :-) :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2015, 06:35:26 pm »

Looks like the forum has lost another day . . .  :D

On average I spend anywhere between 1 and 2 hours a day on my little boat and I've yet to plank down as far as the whole waterline . . .  and that's less than half way down the hull.  I estimate I'll need to install around another 80 feet of the stuff and yet I've been looking at builds where the guys appear to complete this part of the build in days. and sometimes they add a 'posh' layer above a base layer.  Praps I just need to get my act together.  But . .  I can do a 1/2 plank length on each side at the same time, so . . . 6-7 mins to trim to size and sand, 30 mins to soak, 30 mins to dry on the frames, 7-8 mins to glue and secure and then allow at least 20 mins before I can offer up the next two planks for sizing . . .  so just one full layer of planking per day seems to be all I'll ever attain.  Bummer  :((

I've actually passed the waterline in the middle part of the hull and if I do two more layers I'll be totally below the waterline and on to basswood (tilia something . . a type of lime I think) which although only 3mm wide may be more flexible than the walnut.  I've just about achieved a neat meeting of the planking at the bow and more importantly at the stern.  I've roughly cut back the overlong planks under the counter and will face up the transom planking and the dinky fashion pieces one day in the distant future.

My little router type bits are far too brutal unless fully constrained so unlikely to be used for this build.  Perhaps a big steel battleship or a mulberry harbour one day . . . . .   %%
St Val's day tomorrow so I hope you guys that have a partner or just plain fancy someone, have picked up some flowers from the garage on the way home.  Hoo Hoo  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2015, 11:58:59 am »

I kept going last night with one eye on the TV and one on the planking and the walnut is finished and the first of the basswood is going on.  The actual waterline is around 6 walnut strips up in the middle part of the boat but only 1/2 a strip up at the bow and stern so she looks a little odd at present.

I also did a quick sanding prior to starting with the basswood because although the basswood is 1/64 th inch thicker it sands very readily and would soon disappear :D

The sun is out, tis a lovely day so I'm off out shortly.  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2015, 04:41:44 pm »

The hull planking continues . . . . . .  %%

I added two wider (1/4 inch) strips to the lower part of the frames.  The first one sat nicely into the 'rabbit', but both took a little care where they sit into the rebate running up the bow.  As the slope/rake of the bow is extremely gentle, care is really needed all the way up.  Where any strips meet either this rebate or 'run off' at the stern I have thinned the timber down, just a fraction of a millimetre, hoping to get more glue adhesion. (PVA)

I'm running the planks just past the stern and trimming off when dry with my fine saw.  I'll finish later with a sanding block and then add the rudder stock.

around 24 (total) planking runs to go . . . perhaps a big balsa sheet and lots of filler . . . . . .

As as for sanding . . . cor blimey gov' . . . there's now more wood on the floor (and everywhere else) than what arrived in the box  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:57 pm »

Dilemma  :o

As it didn't seem possible to follow the drawings planking plan exactly without tapering all the lower planks I went ahead and added a few planks until I'd gotten past the awkward keel/transom bit.  But now the twist and bends of each plank (although possibly achievable with a good soak) are getting a little awkward.

If I do foce in some bends I am also worried they won't be running across the frames in the correct place and might spoil the true profile of the hull ?

The gentlest way seems to be running a few planks across the remaining opening as per photo, and fill in either side.  There would be no nasty twists and turns, I can access the hull from the inside while closing up and the whole lot will be sanded, filled if necessary and painted with anti-foul.

Off on a boat trip tomorrow . . . up the Tamar river  :-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 05:36:43 pm »

There is an old trading schooner at Morwhellam Quay if you get up that far.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 06:42:11 pm »

Well I'm not sure what's occurring . . . a few responses from you lovely people have failed to reach me; and some have been deleted by MBM as 'lost days' when they fiddle with their server so . . .

Thank you everyone one who has contributed to my first woodie build.  Every single comment has been useful (even if ignored) 'cos it makes me stop and think.  keep 'em coming please  O0

First . . . my boat trip tomorra.  It's leaving from Saltash and goes up-river for about 90 mins.  It'll be great if it reaches Morewhellam else it's a mere 15 minute drive and an entry ticket (perhaps).  Thanks Ned.

The book R
ACE TO FAME THE INSIDE STORY OF THE BLUENOSE has been 'won' and its on its way to me . . . . looking forward to reading it.  In the meantime, and because this basswood stuff is soo soakable, I'm adding another couple of rows of planking, just as before. . . . ho hum :D :D :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2015, 06:45:01 pm »

My last posting failed so I'll try again . . .

Nearly there . . . 10 more 3/32 by 1/16 inch to go and then a belt sander.  Industrial strength.

Lovely day on the Tamar and Lynher rivers and loads of activity too.  Work boats, Naval, fishing, bumps and grinds and pleasure.  Didn't get to Morwhellam but still a lovely day.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2015, 01:28:47 pm »

Well then . . . belt sander, bucket of polyfiller and slap on some paint ant it's finished a year ahead of schedule  :D

[size=78%]I've cut off the over-run planks and sanded flat . .  (why oh why does this forum mess around with pasted text ???).  The [/size]little laser cut part is the rudder stock, and it fits beautifully.

Filling in the last couple of planks was an absolute doodle.  Because the hole was around 1 3/4 planks wide I used an oversize strip, cut roughly to length and width and then a bit of course sandpaper.  Simples.   I've just enjoyed dribbling some PVA down into the hold between the frames to increase general strength and if I now sand clean through I'll hit glue rather than air . . . hee hee  {-)

I've just given the bum a 60 grade sanding but from here on I'm on a learning curve so advice sought please.  They (whoever they are) say never sand with paper and fingers, use a block . . but how does a block go around all those sexy curves ? ? ?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »

That's looking good there Jon.
Glad you had a good day on the water.
My old sailing grounds when I was an apprentice
We had a base at Jupiter Point on the Lynher with
All wooden craft.
Big cutters , Montague whalers, and RNSA 14 ft dinghies..
Gave me a grounding and a love for all ships wooden and
wind driven.

Don't get too much dust up the nose.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:21 pm »

Cheers Ned . . . great stuff .  If you get bored do tell me more  :-)  and there still appears to be a base for apprentices there.

My boating was Solent and south coast based on sports cruisers and an old Taiwanese built trawler . . . still a bit tarty I guess  :D

. . . and the dust.  I've sneezed all afternoon.

See ya soon

Jon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.