Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65628 times)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »

[size=78%]I've just given the bum a 60 grade sanding but from here on I'm on a learning curve so advice sought please.  They (whoever they are) say never sand with paper and fingers, use a block . . but how does a block go around all those sexy curves ? ? ?[/size]

Try gluing the sandpaper to a strip of 2 or 3 mm balsa, works for me....
Amateur at work...

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:06 am »

Hi, I do not know if you know this but there are foam backed sanding disk to fit angle grinders the are used in  wood turning used to get inside bowls come in different grit sizes , just don't apply to much pressure as you will know .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:27 am »

I'll source both . . . . Rainy day thank you's Mr Penguin and David 48   :-)

And while I'm saying thanks I think it's a good time to show of my latest woodworking skills . . . a stand to hold her upright as my giant grips are now redundant.  I'm so impressed I think I'll make a dining room suite next . . . dresser, table, chairs   :D

In summery (my thoughts) if anyone out there tackles this kit:
Make the first planks the waterway ones with carefully filed little drain holes
Plank UP to main rail level
Add the intermediate stanchions to strengthen these couple of planks
Work DOWN . . soak planks (not exceeding 4/5mm) for 20 mins, hold in place until dry, glue in with PVA not CA, thoroughly clean off any glue that squeezes out onto the frames
Taper the last 6 inches or so of every plank that meets the lower curve of the transom
And basswood is twice as easy to work than walnut or mahogany !

Need a dust extractor . . . Achooooooo !!!!!

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:40 pm »

Nothing more today Guys 'cos I've got 'sanders finger'  {-)

So out with the plasters, vacuum cleaner and feather duster . . . I just wish the Russians would let me sleep in peace  :D

I'll be using stainable Elmers filler for most of the posh fills but if anyone can recommend a system for priming  and filling the main part of the hull
. . . . do I fill first, sand, fill, sand and prime last or fill sand prime, fill and sand in the hope errors are more visible on a painted surface ???

. . .  and what's the best filler options ?

See ya all tomorrow  :-)

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 10:32:04 am »

A quiet day in the sunshine I think . . . . pottering  :D

So keel stock is in and the hull is partially sanded.  The walnut is about ready for a finish but the basswood, particularly the awkward curves, has a little way to go.  I'm finding the filler is almost too easy to sand away when used to fill anything over 0.5mm although it's fine for tiny cracks and open grain.

All the waterway boards are now in, two each side on the fore deck and one thinner one each side on the main (aft) deck.  3B pencil edging looks good.  These will be sprayed off white later.

Dry fitting the main anchor hawser thingies and rubbing blocks prior to spraying.  I spent some time hand drilling the holes through the hull and gently opening up to 1/8th inch with a small round cutting broach.  The kit provides off round metal outer hull parts for the hawser holes but not the chain . . . and I think I'll have to research correct anchor details as I'm confused (again)  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2015, 07:15:48 pm »

Not much done on the boat today . . . shopping and exploring a newly found engine house . .and then a central heating pipe joint failed.  A plastic one under the house.  Hopefully sorted now  :D

A little cleaning and a spray and the hawse things are ready to add.  I always try and do more that one item when spraying so I did part of the winch as well.

Took nearly an hour to establish the bloomin' waterline,  Keel up on table and 3B pencil clipped to a square.

Cold wet windy and highest tides for 20 years . . . ha well  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2015, 03:16:03 pm »

Bloddy primer . . . . shows up flaws, lumps and hollows.  Back to filling and sanding so no pictures worth showing  {:-{

I've blackened some thin brass wire and am trying to strop a block.  'Tis very fiddly, and this tryout is with one of the biggest blocks in the kit . . a triple that's about 4 times bigger than the smallest ones . . . no chance without giant binoculars strapped to a telescope and 14 year old fingers . .oh and floodlighting !

And why does CA stick to fingers first  :D

Hail, sleet and snow, see ya tomorra  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:51 am »

still sanding  {:-{

still priming  {:-{

still filling  {:-{

And the annoying thing is . . the planking looked good from day one.  Back to GRP next time (if there is a next time)

POOH !

Found some great old pics on the internet (thanks Frank) . . . the schooner and house pic is interesting eh !

and as for stroppy blocks . . .  rainy days  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:23 pm »

What can I say . . . . BLOCKS !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2015, 05:23:07 pm »

As it's been sooooo wet and cold and 'orrible here in Cornwall today I've stayed in and pottered

I'm just about there with all the sanding and priming and filling . . I now need to find a really good bottom colour.  Kit says copper red which is close to venetian red, but I'd like it as a matt acrylic spray and I can't find that yet.

I've got the waterway planks in and painted flat white.  2 x 3/32 ech side at the front and 1 x 1/16 each side at the back (sorry fore and aft . . . you'd never guess I owned real big boats for years)

Now I need to finish painting up the gunwales (spelling) add a thin gunwale strip and start building up the side rails. 

or should I start on the decking . . . . . . . :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:16 am »

As the rain might just stop tonight . . .  I'll be off to Launceston tomorrow so . . . I'll post these now in case I'm back late

The deck planks are 1/16 inch x 3/32 inch and on the upper (aft) deck they curve and taper (bummer) and they should all be 'nibbed (see plan) and I'm not sure if my eyes and fingers are up to this type of art form . . . but it is quite important to get the planking that goes alongside the cabin looking right.  I've only 'tacked' the cabins fore and aft planks with PVA where they cross the keel and if right I'll add glue and clamp down onto the bearers which follow the curve of the deck profile (hopefully).  I'll then do a similar thing with the nearby hatch and then start planking . . .  WoW  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:27 pm »

No laughing . . . all these are un-sanded and loose laid trying to work out a system.  Ideally planking starts from the centre but if it goes a little awry I'll introduce either a wider or narrow one on each side as needed.  I'm still not sure about the nibbling thingy though  :D

I believe this is the Bluenose in this old launch pic ...it's a wonderful scene  :-)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »

Jon,

Greetings.

Have you seen the free 138 page Bluenose Practicum??

http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?87

(It is about 2/3rd's down the page)

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »

Got it thanks Rick . . . YESTERDAY  :}

Would you believe it eh. . . . . printing it out right now.

It has lots of useful stuff which should compliment what came with the kit

Cheers and thanks

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2015, 04:34:07 pm »

Hee hee . . . . this is fiddly, especially with old nerve damaged fingers, but . . . kinda fun and certainly challenging.  It would have been so so so much easier to have just laid a continuous deck, sand smooth and flat and then added very thin mitred strips say 3mm by 0.5 mm where all the openings occur and affix the superstructures onto these.  Oh well  :D  Live 'n learn.

The pic might look odd as only the centre 7 rows are actually fixed and because the deck here is concave fore-aft and bowed left-right the unsanded and un-glued planks look a little odd and I worry the assorted plank shades might look wrong when finished and varnished (or whatever)

Note . . . the plank thickness's vary slightly so lots of sanding is required, and, basswood is very soft !

First attempt at nibbing can be seen . . . needs fine sanding and the plank being inserted needs tapering.  The basswood is a little difficult to cut across the grain but easy along, and it sands easily.  I'm now kinda committed on the main deck but can still change my mind on the fore deck.

We'll see eh  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2015, 11:55:51 pm »

This is silly . . . what I need is a big sheet of wood that fits the deck and a really good ruler and pencil . .  I wish !

I may be away a day or three trying to assemble all these bloddy bits 'cos every time I get 3 or 4 planks dry fitted they all spring out . . note the spacers piling up in the hold  :D

Great fun but so frustrating . . and then the other side has to match . . . Aaaaaaaaagh !

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:20 pm »

So quickly then before a passing moth disturbs the air and all the little bluggerin' planks ping out again.  :D

I will now need to inspect everything and note where obvious bits need a tweak; (many look wrong in the photo but some are unsupported and they are all partially 'sprung'), then  . .

. . . carefully  d i s a s s e m b l e . . . pencil one edge of each plank and slowly and carefully put it back together, with glue, not forgetting the planking aft of where the wheelhouse will go.

Such Fun  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

One side glued and rough sanded . . .  the little nibby things weren't too bad at all . . . just difficult to get each one the same width

As I mentioned . . next time I build this I'll plank over all openings to simplify things . . a lot  :D

That's it for now as I must deal with other projects and jobs

See ya  :-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:30 am »

You have done a good job with the 'joggling' of the planks :-))...keep the images coming thru Jon........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2015, 09:08:16 am »

Will do Derek . . .  and thank you for the encouragement

I'll try and post an update later today but in the meantime . . Have a good one  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:05 pm »

You must all be as bored as I am . . . hull planking, sanding, filling . . . deck planking, sanding, sanding, sanding  :D

I'm now kinda pleased I laid the aft deck around the cabin because fitting all those short tapered stern bits was fiddly but probably a lot easier than tapering full length deck planks to fit neatly.  Something to watch out for, a slightly thinner plank requires acres of deck to be sanded down to meet it whereas a slightly raised one proves no problem to level off !!

I may take a break from the deck and do a little more on the hull . . sheesh.  There's still a few dodgy bits to fill, I am proposing a rubbing strake and the transom needs planking, tidying and I'll need to make them silly 'fashion pieces' to cover the corners.  Ho hum.

I may not do anything over the weekend so it may be monday when I battle on.  Hee Hee  :P

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2015, 06:55:14 pm »

I just couldn't resist doing another hour on the model.  The fore deck has a few variants but the planking is at least laid in line with the keel.  (I do wonder why she was decked in two differing ways).

The first dozen planks or so are not joggled (thank you Derek) into the side planking . . .there will be thicker planks (like the raised waterways) under the bowsprit, double width and thicker planks under each side of the forward part of the anchor winch, and aft of this item the planking is joggled again.  I'm becoming a planker . . . great fun  :D  . . but as one kind member has pointed out my planks are obviously obtained from very tall Nova Scotian trees as I've not used them at scale length . . I will experiment  :-))  (photo items are not fully fixed as yet)

Oh and if you see a little fish on the drawing extracts this is a fishing option rather than in racing trim

Have a good weekend y'all

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2015, 12:45:28 am »

Regarding shipbuilding timber, Nova Scotia is 'cursed' with Red Oak (which is completely useless if rot resistance is needed) and several varieties of softwood trees. The only decent thing we have is Atlantic Larch, a.k.a Tamarack and Hackmatack.

I don't know about 'the old days', but nowadays, spars for Bluenose II are sourced from British Columbia.

Just in case anybody was wondering. - Tom

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2015, 02:32:53 am »

Brilliant Tom . . .  :-) :-) :-)

I think when they built the Bluenose I'm basing my model on they found some very rare 100 foot (30m) dead straight lime trees and decided to make some of the planks near on 60 foot long as they were short of deck caulking . . . hoo hoo  :D

I may have to Google Tamarack and Hackmatack

All the best to you over there.

Thanks

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2015, 10:54:54 pm »

As the weather turned 'orrible around 2pm I thought I'd drive myself mad and add another 40 planks . . . . nearly there  %%

the mast holes are a fraction of a mm oversize so I can set them up accurately in the future.

When this is finished I'll let it collect lots of dust and that'll hopefully hide my rubbish woodcraft . . . . tee hee !

Cooker element has now blown (and tripped the power) so that's tomorrows work sorted.

See y'all soon  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.