Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65655 times)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2015, 04:22:14 pm »

Not very much to report as I've started painting.  I was going to spray but at £7 for what seems a half empty Tamiya can is far too extravagant, so I'm doing it with a small brush and Vallejo paint.  The Tamiya ones seem to dry far too quickly.  You'll also notice that the waterway planking may need the attention of a shipwright before the painters finish  :D

I'm also dropping in the grating for the helmsman, just needs a frame and a sand.

Hopefully there will be something to report later in the week

Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:19 pm »

Well that's as far as I can go until I source a suitable paint for her bum.  I'm looking for a spray on venetian red.  Has anyone tried Halfords rattlers on timber ?

So thought I might as well start on the little bits and beginning with the laser cut parts.

Hope everyone's well.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »

For paint I usually go to my local (not so local for me) hardware store and pick up a can of Rust-oleum, Valspar or Krylon spraypaint, it comes in large cans for about half the price of model spraypaints but might not be able to be found in the exact color you need so you might have to make a compromise and get something close.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »

Hello Lextin . . . unfortunately all these are quite rare products here in the UK and if you can find them the choices are very limited indeed so it's off to a motor parts store to get some automobile paints . . . fortunately these are now usually acrylic !

I did a little fiddling today, etch priming brass and copper bits so no photo's again Guys.

See you all soon

Lovely sunny day here in the SW

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »

Hi smileyjon
I was in Homebase the other day and noticed  that thy stock Rustoleum in spray tins also there was some crystal clear coat reading the tin ,it drys totally clear with no yellowing not tried it my self , I only use Humbrol for every thing so I do not get paint reaction . I always buy direct of Humbrol's web site , I try to convince my self it will be better than stuff bought from people with slow moveing stock .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »

Yes Humbrol do a scarlet which is a deep red but I'd like to get a little closer.  I've found the exact colour in the US but that's a little extravagant methinks.  Back to Homebase and a few others the acrylic in Rustoleum range is almost non-existent so back to good old rattle cans  . . . Mondeo Sunset Red perhaps . . . hee hee

Thanks David

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2015, 10:56:40 pm »

Frank to the rescue . . . . thank you mate  :-) :-) :-)

Decided not to struggle on with brass mast rings so switched to copper where possible.  The strip I have is thinner so sits neater, it's 0.5mm wider so easier to drill for fixings and it's easier to form into rings.  These will be CA'd onto the masts and spars.  Pics will follow in due course . . . of course  :D

Other than that, repaired the oven and preparing ply to repair fascia board end.  Ho Hum  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2015, 01:35:07 pm »

This is silly . . . the drawings call for over 40 parts to the main gaff boom alone.  I'm simplifying it to around 25 parts and of course even my 1.2mm (int dia) eyelets look huge but I'm guessing that when the model is finished it will be okay.  Only I will ever know because it will only ever be seen by friends family and the odd caller . . . oh and me !

Sunny days  :-)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2015, 07:09:08 pm »

Hi Jon.
 RE: Only I will ever know because it will only ever be seen by friends family and the odd caller . . . oh and me !  Oh Yeh!!  and of course not forgetting.. A`body on here.. O0 and the rest of the world when the photos hit social media... {-) {-) {-) {-) theres no hiding place jon

frank

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2015, 08:32:14 pm »

Hey you . . . it'll be okay 'cos it'll have a bag on its head  ;D ;D ;D ;D

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »

Hey you . . . it'll be okay 'cos it'll have a bag on its head  ;D ;D ;D ;D
who will have a bag on her head... {-) {-)   
  Frank

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2015, 11:40:37 pm »

Hee Hee Hee  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:34 am »

So why are spreaders and crosstrees made so fine and fiddly.  The spreaders on many ships are just flimsy lengths of angle iron.  Give me a big lump of something any time.

I need to add a couple of bits and drill a few more holes, then a clean up, prime and paint . . and then make the smaller one . . . {:-{

The basswood is too flimsy while the walnut is a bit grainy, drilling weakens both and I've used copper although I could have used paper.  Building the whole thing out of brass strips might have worked as most of it is only just about 1.5mm thick.

Clouding over here in East Cornwall

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2015, 02:22:28 pm »

Blugger . . . Hi Coat paints are High Gloss . . . . . going to switch to red oxide for the boats bum  :D

and although I tried to form some round things in timber that have belaying pins in and go around the mast . . . far too small and fragile so I've done them in plastic (cheating) as the laser cut ones had oversized holes and not enough material left to drill safely !

Very warm day (13C) so working outdoors on outstanding jobs.

:-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »

The basswood is too flimsy ...drilling weakens...and I've used copper although I could have used paper. 

I have heard of modellers impregnating balsa wood with thin CA glue, to give it strength.
I don't know if this would also work for lime wood, but it is worth a go. You could also re-do this soaking after drilling to add strength down the drill holes.

Just a thought. Maybe worth a play on a couple of spare parts.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »

I've just this moment tried that . . . and it does kinda work but makes it quite difficult to sand smooth prior to painting.  I've now used it where it won't show and in drilled holes . . . I'll also try it with the thin stuff sometime.  However good ol' PVA seems to help a bit and is smoother.

Great minds eh  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2015, 05:33:27 pm »

It's slowing down . . . although I have been out and about enjoying the good weather.  Anyway, I've progressed a little on the fiddly stuff.  The mast bands are 1.5mm copper strip, while the pin ring is from 1.5mm plastic modelling sheet.  Work still needed on the spreaders but note the size of the dead eye . . . . just silly  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2015, 07:34:09 pm »

Well . . . . the bum is done

. . . thanks to Halfords red primer and a thin coat of brushed on acrylic matt to help seal everything.

And I must confess . . . getting the waterline about right took almost an hour !

Now the rudder, stern bits and deck stuff before beginning the rails.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2015, 05:37:16 am »

Jon,

Greeting.

Any updates on your Bluenose??; haven't seen you on line for a couple of weeks.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:40 am »

Well Sir . . . I had a couple of weeks off with other commitments and for the last week or so I've been doing , what I call, some of the fiddly stuff.  None of it very exciting I'm afraid and now spring is upon us and the rain stops on occasions I have been trying to get the so called garden organised . .  hee hee.

Also the oven element blew up, a central heating pipe joint failed, the boiler fan gave out, the front gate needed replacing, I've some fascia boards that need repairs and I've got a sore tummy . . .  still the sun is out and it's getting warmer and I should be out walking !

So Fireman Rick . .  you've not got rid of me just yet :D

That's just kitchen foil around the lower part of the main mast.  The rudder hinges need 3 more 'bolts' prior to priming.  One side rail is in the former while this one (alongside the template) is having its joints filled and made ready for priming, tons of drilling, painting . . and the two tiny 'fashion' pieces at the junction of the transom planking and side planking  . . . WORKED.  And they are now being sanded down flush prior to having a finish applied.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »

Drilling little holes . . . 30 so far !

The 'slots' on the very outside edge were formed by drilling 2 tiny tiny holes about 1 mm apart and just 'jiggling' the drill bit up and down to open it up.  These slots are for the chainplates.  The larger holes are for belaying pins and the fine ones are for ring fittings.  The largest hole if for the anchor crane.  (Things are clearer if this photo is 'opened in a new window')

I've still got the other side to do but it's presently in my bending former.  These rails will they be carefully glued onto the top of the stanchions and to the laser cut fore part seen earlier.  Two more side/rail parts are then added on top of this and the two stern parts will then be connected . . . or something like that  :D

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

Well underway now with a little job that I've been putting off.  The main rails.

Most of the little holes and slots were drilled out with a tiny bit in my little hand drill.  The fore and stern parts are cleaned up laser cut parts (the stern part is still loose fitted).  The right/foreward spliced joint has been filled and roughly cleaned up while the left joint is as laid.

I fitted the fore part first.  I then fitted temporary little brass off-cuts into some of the chainplate slots on the rails.  This would ensure that the chainplates when finally fitted would lay snug up against the outer planking.  (one such brass off-cut is still attached and visible in the last image)

I didn't try to fit the rails in one go as I was concerned the glue would lose its strength.  The right side rail was fixed in 3 goes, while the left side is still drying after its second fix.  The final fix must also involve the unfitted stern part.

Some of the 1.5mm eyelets are best best fitted before fitting the rails.  Some of the holding down rings have also been added to the stanchions.

The black squares bits just under the rail (there's 5 on each side) are 'metal' skids to stop the ships boats hanging up on the rail.

To see the detail it's best to open the images in 'a new window'

NEARLY THERE !!!

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2015, 04:35:55 pm »

I should be outside but yet again I'm fiddling  . . .

Two more strips in the bending machine to become the aft top-rails (see drawing)

Stern bit glued and main rails filled and sanded

More fore rail bits added . . . later I will add onto this cleats and anchor pads.

Off to Bodmin Hospital for stomach investigations but should be back soon . . . . .See y'all  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »

Now the rails are in and painted I'm dry fitting a few bits . . . .  not much else to report especially has the weather has been lovely and I've work to do outside.

I've inserted the masts into the wrong places . . . but nothing is glued yet as I still have to fit the rudder and finish off the upper part of the hull . . . including the dreaded chain plates  {:-{
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.