Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner  (Read 65673 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Shipways Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2015, 08:11:13 pm »

Wow Smiley, I just came across this thread and must say that you have done a fantastic job..... I will be re reading this thread a fair few times during my Lena scratch build.

About the copper you used, what did you cut it with to get such detail without distortion as I too will try and copy your good work %) U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2015, 09:12:06 pm »

Thank you for your kind words U2 . . .  it was 2mm wide stuff, around 500mm long and from  . . http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html
They do a 3mm as well.  Don't be worried if it comes crumpled up as it can be smoothed out by hand and and cut with cutters or scissors . . . and so easy to drill compared to brass.

I'll be following the Lena build

Cheers
Jon

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2015, 04:28:37 pm »

Hull is all but finished . . . just the naming and scrollwork stuff, oh and a half decent stand.

And I have replaced the lining tape on the side where it didn't adhere firmly (see last pic)

Then on to getting the masts stepped  :} :} :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2015, 08:56:12 pm »

Again nothing to report . . I've had a week off and another few days away coming up.  Still waiting on sails from the sail loft in Calstock and still putting the parts together for the more complex fore mast.

Will update everything next week hopefully

All the best guys  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2015, 10:25:08 am »

Well then . . . not a lot has happened as I do like to wander off exploring in the sunshine and my eyes are been a bit off . . . however:  The main mast is in the process of being stepped with temporary ropes fore and aft.

The main mast is raked back very very slightly (I used an old adjustable set square for this)
The foremast is still in the assembly shop but will be installed at right angles to the waterline
I did find the instructions invaluable with the shroud fitting sequence, it's the only way it worked.
The upper deadeyes are slightly triangular
The little brass bits were good and fiddly
The two topmast shrouds are yet to be finished
The next stage will be to ensure the mast is set  in line with the keel . . . should be fun.
 :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »

Any advice please guys on the following:

Installing ratlines that end up hanging gently between the shrouds rather than sticking out in all directions ?

An easy way to form a knot (wall knot ?) on the end of the thread (lanyard) that tensions the shrouds between the deadeyes ?

Thank you  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »

Stretch all threads by hanging weights from them for a week. Ratlines have an eye at each end lashed to end shrouds with Spingarn. Tied to intermediate shrouds with clove hitch. Once completed, if twist is correct they should hang neatly. If not spay withe water press down with pencil to get required shape and dry with hair drier. Would think wall knot far too fiddley with thin line. Try figure of eight knot.
Jerry.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »

G'day Jerry . . .

The lines supplied with the kit are coated and wound tightly onto flat plastic so they come off ridiculously crinkly.  These have been steamed and hung (as you suggested) and are somewhat better after a month!

I have some thick line .05 and .06 (mm) which arrived from another supplier on a spool, it's also coated in something and this I'm using for the main standing rigging, and I've some .012 polyester on a spool which I would like to use for the foot-ropes.  Trouble is, and ignoring your super-fine clove hitches and stuff, 'cos me poor ol' eyes and damaged fingers would never cope, especially at this scale . . . .   when I use a simple knotting technique (shrouds average 5mm apart) and a touch of CA at each end, the foot ropes end up sticking out, or in, or up or any way they fancy :}

I've 'googled' wall knot . . . pppppppffft . . . so going to use a stop-knot.

What a fun hobby  :} :} :} :} :}

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »

Anything stopping you putting the ratlines through the shrouds with a needle?
Jerry.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:05 pm »

mmmmmm . . . I'll try that Jerry  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

First off . . . Jerry, after a dozen tries I cannot pass a fine needle through the shrouds, so need to try a few other ideas.

Otherwise . . . the main heavy shrouds/backstays are all but in and the foremast is beginning to rise above deck level.  The foremast top/crosstrees is quite complex, photo's will follow in due course.
The bean cans, books and steel rule are there to ensure the deck is level side to side . . a plumb line hanging from the curtain pole was also useful  :D :D :D

See y'all  :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »

Still working on the foremast . . . out of interest for anyone who may one day buy this kit . . .

I will need to add over 120 parts to the foremast alone even before it even gets shoved down the hole in the deck and then I can start on the shrouds and stuff.

Work in progress obviously but getting there . . . Round-nose pliers, fine brass rod < 0.02 ins, and 2mm copper strip !

Wonderfully ridiculous  %%

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2015, 12:15:33 pm »

Hello,

Just remember how lucky you are to be working on a model that will reside in the comfort of your Home !!.
Imagine making parts for your boat and then watching the Wind rip them off.

The Wind was, and still is, my biggest enemy.

Making parts that look Scale, AND, are strong enough to withstand the Wind is my big problem.
No small bits of Brass wire for me - - high tensile Steel is the only thing that will do !.
Major rigging wire is rated at 100kg breaking strain, it does break eventually.
Stainless steel sheet cut into strips, for Mast bands, with steel nuts and bolts are the norm.

Hardwood rigging parts, well fitted, glued and screwed, with steel screws, still have to be checked regularly.
Enjoy your rigging build - - at least you will only have to do it once !!.
It all looks very good, not long now to completion !.

Very Best Regards,
John.  :-))  :-))  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »

Ah . . . but mine'll get dusty  :D

I do like your little fella though and may consider going that rout one day . . . fingers eyes and brain permitting . . . . but for now I'll plod on with the girly stuff !

Thank you for the kind comments JayDee

Jon

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:50 am »

This must all be getting a little slow and boring . . . I fix 20-30 tiny little bits of rigging over a few days . .  step back and there's no real change  :embarrassed:

Off to collect the sails later  :-)

Still fighting 'smooth' looking ratlines  :(( 

Open pic in new window and click to magnify to see more detail . . . . . part of winch is not yet fixed . . . oh and the 'standing rigging backstay' from the main mast is normally only fitted when racing but I'm adding it to help me tension everything.  Tis a bogger   :} 

And . . . this came alongside as I headed back into Falmouth from St Mawes.  Velsheda with her 180 foot mast ! Two other J's are also in port.  More fenders anyone  ;)

See ya all  ok2

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »

I can't find a picture of Bluenose showing a maintopmast backstay. The one on your model would be impractible in actual use. The purchase at the deck suggests a running backstay and thus there should be a pair, one each side of the mainsail, the windward stay being set up on each tack and the leeward stay slacked off. Also usually back stays are rigged to the top of the mainmasthead and not to the maintopmast head. All the pics I can find don't appear to show standing or running back stays which puzzles me.
Jerry.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2015, 12:44:50 pm »

I understand your thoughts but I have seen this before.  I can only offer this oldie from 1921 and the fact that the plans (which are incredibly detailed) make references to this quite heavy duty tackle.

Ah well . . . It helps so I'm gonna stay with it  :}

Cheers Jerry  :-)

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:35 pm »

As an afterthought Jerry . . . the plans call it a topmast flying backstay on the port side (same side as quarter lift for main boom which is also only used in racing trim!) using heaviest line (0.027") with upper and lower pendants (hook on lower one) and installed when racing.  This stay is stowed immediately behind the mainmast lower shrouds. 
The main boom topping lift (either port or stbd) is used when fishing but sometimes used in racing trim along with qtr lifts (which also have a single lazy jack line attached about half way up)

I think that if the quarter lifts are used as lazy jacks they have to be on both sides  ? ?

I'm now guessing there has to be a flying backstay on the stbd side as well . . . . all a little weird but what do I know anyway.  :-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2015, 02:28:54 pm »

How would you use the backstay when on starboard tack? It would have to be eased right off or it would interfere with the mainsail/boom. I query the term "flying" backstay when it appears to be a running as opposed to standing backstay. Also the term "quarter lift". I know it as a topping lift, used to support the boom when sail is furled and to lift the boom to stow it on crutch. Looking at the shroud arrangement which gives little fore and aft support to the mainmast there must be a backstay arrangement of some kind. On vessels where the mainsail/boom overhangs the stern the backstay is either on a bumpkin or a pair of running backstays are used, set up as tack requires. It's a pity I can't find a decent quality pic of the real ship. Has anybody else got any thoughts?
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:51 pm »

Sorry, your last two paragraphs didn't show on my phone tip after I made last post. Doh!
Jerry.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »

Finally the sails are back . . although the 3 jib ones will need to be improved upon, so I'll have to pop back to the sewing shop later in the week  :(( 

The 'bolt' width is somewhat overscale to improve appearance (my opinion and only I will ever know which items have been simplified) and help reduce one of the sewing problems as when 'hemming' this cloth pinches very slightly where it meets the bolt threads.

I'm still holding back on some of the deck fittings and I kinda wish I'd held back on some of the standing rigging too as this is gonna be one fiddly job !

Where to begin . . . There are rows of reefing points and then these sails need to be lashed to the lower booms and upper gaffs and then they has to be roped onto the dozen or so wooden mast rings, which are already in place on the masts ! ! !

:} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2015, 04:09:26 pm »

<:(  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH ! <:(

It has begun . . . . and I've yet to stitch in the sails.  As always, open in new window and click to zoom  :-)

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »

Hello Jon.

The old saying - - Knit one, Purl one, Skip one, Drop one.

Keep at it, it will be worth it in the End !!!!!!.

John.    :-))  :-))  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »

Love it John . . . . thank you for the tip  :-)

Mainsail hanging by a thread . . . just to see !

:P

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2015, 08:06:38 pm »

Scary rigging mess . . .all temporarily held together with 16 pegs and clips  :}
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.