Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Commander Restoration  (Read 13215 times)

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sea Commander Restoration
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:01:57 am »

When I was at the international model boat show last I was quite taken with some of the vintage models on display which has led me to acquire this model from ebay and give it in new lease of life. It was a bit of punt buying a boat which could potentially be a bit of wreck but having received the model, I've been impressed by the robustness of the model and design.

I'm only at the beginning stages and have a few questions and will listen to any advice offered.

Here is the model in question -

Based upon the electric motor sold with the boat (what looks like  ford cortina washer pump motor) I'd estimate this is about 35-40 years old.

It had some  fittings in the cockpit which I ripped out - a cork for a seat, a ships wheel and fake doors leading forwards.
It has had the optional lifebelts fitted to it at some point. Note the destroyed windscreen which I will need to replace.

Complete with ropey looking rudder, water pickup and plastic prop. Note the liberal use a brass panel pins.

The rear compartment complete with meccano tiller. Under the blue coat, is a green and a white coat of paint. The ply deck has been stained. There's an aerial (maybe from the same ford cortina!) for the receiver.

The forward engine comparrtment, complete with what I thought was a prop shaft stuffing tube but it actually terminates above the prop shaft, complete with bottle case drip collector. I have removed a couple of balsa blocks from the rear wall.

TD02, initials? note the nails.

At some point it had an anchor and a flagstaff.

Under the white paint is some black paint.

This is a printed? crew deck, It looks water? damaged, dunno if I should replace it.

Under that deck (it was glued in) there's a couple of bottles (bouyancy tanks? should you have these in a  model? would they work if it capsized?) and a decent chunky prop shaft tube.

Not sure what I should do with this.

The hull is basically sound.

This a bodged front cover, it's made from balsa and has not been sealed (I can tell as I've done similar myself).
I will be making a ply replacement for this.

Next steps - remove the aerial - replace the rudder - strip as much paint off as I can - primer - which primer? what paint?
remove the strips on the decks, plank and varnish the decks, find some fittings of the right scale, replace both windscreens and the front cover, add rails to the covers, glaze the windows.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Si

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sea Commander Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:43 am »

Hi Si.
 get the paint stripper on it see & whats hiding under the paint if there are no major surprises its worth saving. 2nd pull the shaft out see if its clean or hanging with rust.
 hers an url for it
 https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=aerokit&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enGB581GB581&q=aerokits+sea+commander&gs_l=hp..4.0i10j0l4.0.0.0.6379...........0.pDC3Xk2YF5E
 Frank 

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:41 am »

Thanks Frank, sound advice.

I've stripped the hull and the wood looks good.

I've removed the prop shaft at your suggestion and there was a lot of grease (a good sign!), there's a tiny amount of surface rust but I think it's reusable. The shaft is 3.5mm diameter, not quite M4 but my M4 prop will screw on ok. The sleeve is 6.38mm internal diameter - room for lots of grease - or potentially a new M4 shaft? At both ends of the sleeve are removed plastic?  bearings which seem ok.

Should I replace the prop shaft or prop shaft and tube? I'm wondering if I can get sealed bearings to fit? I'd rather not replace it if it's unnecessary but I would like to put some power through it!

Si

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:02 am »

I'll post some pics later.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:05:33 pm »

if there is ANY rust on it BIN IT a new shaft doesnt cost a lot

Dave

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »

Thanks Dave, I've ordered a new prop shaft and tube (which might fit inside the existing tube, is that cheating?  {:-{ )

Here's a few more picks of the progress -

Underneath the paint, there's a nice model.

The hull is sound, I've removed the gunwhales which will be replaced with hardwood strip.

I've taken off the deck fittings and a wooden strip on top (dunno what the techincal term is) ready for a bit of nice planking. I've managed to cut out the nasty front windows, ready of replacement. I've removed lots of brass pins by levering out the pins with a scalpel. The front cabin ply skin had to come off so I can glaze the windows (from the inside).

The rear wall of the cockpit had a rotten patch and had to be cut out. Replacement is needed.

The old and new main windscreen, scrollsaw to the rescue!

Need to replace these front windows next and make a need engine compartment roof.

~Simon

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:03:10 pm »

Hi Si.
 I've ordered a new prop shaft and tube (which might fit inside the existing tube, is that cheating...never its called modellers license.. O0
 having bought a new shaft and tube you may as well go the whole hog and pull the old shaft out at least you will have the peace of mind that it will be good for a few years wear.  Work the scalpel along the either side of shaft tube to free it where it passes through the wood keel, then tap the end inside the hull with the hammer so the shaft exits at the stern.

You will  need to get a nice new shiny rudder now to go with the shiny new shaft {-)

frank

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:51:51 am »

Hi Si.
I built one of these two years ago, but decided to go for a frameless wind shield. I still have the original windshield parts, untouched, as they came out of the box. The frames are neatly rebated to accept the glazing which is secured by a second sub frame. If you would like them just PM your address and I will put them in the post.

Cheers, Terry.

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:38 am »

You will  need to get a nice new shiny rudder now to go with the shiny new shaft {-)

Thanks Frank, I'll try that, I've also ordered a shiny new rudder  8)

I built one of these two years ago, but decided to go for a frameless wind shield. I still have the original windshield parts, untouched, as they came out of the box. The frames are neatly rebated to accept the glazing which is secured by a second sub frame. If you would like them just PM your address and I will put them in the post.

That's very kind of you. PM sent.

babblefish

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 04:50:37 am »

Very interesting restoration of something I probably would have just thrown out, lol. You're doing a great job of it though. Just removing the old paint did wonders for it. In case you are interested, this boat looks exactly like the Sea Princess of which plans are available here: http://eezebilt.co.vu/SeaPrincess.html for free in case you need templates for parts.

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 03:04:05 pm »

Hi Si,
Wind shield parts on the way, posted in Austria, so may take a few days. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Cheers, Terry.

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:56:06 pm »

Very interesting restoration of something I probably would have just thrown out, lol. You're doing a great job of it though. Just removing the old paint did wonders for it. In case you are interested, this boat looks exactly like the Sea Princess of which plans are available here: http://eezebilt.co.vu/SeaPrincess.html for free in case you need templates for parts.

Thanks, that's useful!

Hi Si,
Wind shield parts on the way, posted in Austria, so may take a few days. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Cheers, Terry.

Thanks again Terry!

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 06:28:24 pm »

The prop shaft is 3/16 on my Sea Commander the decking was also printed on mine I removed it and the horrible glue that was on it. I ordered some mahogany strip from Mantua models along with some ply for the roofs and cabin decking. The main cabin windows should have vertical central wooden strips, like mine your has not I am not going to refit them as I like the look of the craft as it is.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:11 pm »

A bit more progress, I've removed the prop shaft and tube, stripped all the paint from the accessible areas and now painted the inside with some undercoat/primer to hide the messy blue.
I've started making replacement bits like the rear cockpit wall and front cabin windows. There's a new floor for the cockpit coming soon.

The inside will get a light sanding and another code of primer (water based household paint), I might give it coat of  dulux satinwood to seal it inside. The outer hull is going to get several coats of sanding sealer followed by more coats of halfords rattle cans for a smooth finish.

I can't decide how to do the windows, originally I was going glue clear pvc sheet on the inside, but I'm wondering if I can make proper window frames using flexible H0-guage metal tracks - I've not tried this before.

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:28 pm »

My remade front windows have been attached, I bought a length of HO flexible track and bent a rough prototype window frame which you can see in the photograph below. I'm pleased with the result and will use this technique to glaze the other windows. The trick is to find something of the correct radius to bend the track round. The old window frames are below for comparison!

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 08:00:59 pm »

Looking fantastic, I have one in a similar state of restoration at the moment.
These are such great models and available at such bargain prices on the 'bay.

Really looking forward to watching your progress.

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »

Looking fantastic, I have one in a similar state of restoration at the moment.

Thanks! post some pics!

They are built like tanks. I only wish the original builder had skipped the nails.

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:41 am »

I've painted the inside with dulux satincoat brilliant white, lovely new perfect fitting propshaft from modelboatbits is sitting in place, I think I'm going to fit an oiler to this. I've reattached the front cabin roof and made a new cockpit floor. I've started on the missing rails .

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »

I'm nearly at the painting stage. I've added new rubbing strips, replaced the main and rear cabin roofs. The rear cabin roof looked fine but was warped. Making a replacement was easy with a scrollsaw. The main cabin roof required a bit of creativity as I had nothing decent to base it on. I've given the whole model a coat of thinned sanding sealer (with the exception of the new roofs) and will be covering it in tissue. But next, I'm going to plank the deck.

It's looking better now. The main windscreens won't be glued in until near the end.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:23 pm »

:-)) The Sea Commander  makes such a lovely boat and really goes well here is mine,Ray :-))                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      SAM_0205
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »

Tiny pic Ray! Post a bigger pic! Looks nice.

I had no interest in these old kits until a saw a few at the model boat show, now I've got a wishlist, a vosper rttl, veron police launch and a veron marlin marine cruiser. 

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:09 am »

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 06:48:36 am »

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 06:53:11 am »

SAM 0205

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 09:19:28 am »

Ah, lovely Linda, I need to source some fittings, I like the flag and flagpole. How tall is the figure? I've been trying to figure that one out, I think the scale of this model is 1:24?

Si
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.